IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

9 hours ago, zbyti said:

My all time fav sid track, I'll kill you ;) if you mix dying cat in it :]

EDIT: I listened...

culture_killer-dolls.jpg

If you found dying cats in it you're definetly deaf.

On the other Hand, If you know all about chords and music. Why don't you do a conversion, to showwhat you prefer?

Hmmm...

All bias aside, the POKEY version sounds like an arcade machine playing the tune, while the SID version sounds like proper synthesis. Sorry. I even got my Wife to listen (who doesn't care what platform it's on and I didn't tell her) and even she stated beyond all doubt the SID version sounded better.

I hear no inaccuracies in the bass of the SID version (the SID version actually has bass) and I hear no dying Cats in either version. People are entitled to their personal opinions, that's mine. However, a nice cover using POKEY nonetheless.

Edited by Mazzspeed

4 hours ago, emkay said:

If you found dying cats in it you're definetly deaf.

On the other Hand, If you know all about chords and music. Why don't you do a conversion, to showwhat you prefer?

I thought that "dying cats" it's shortcut to yours false notes and detuned instruments ;)

I love SID version, I listed this music form time to time since '90.

POKEY it's too difficult sound chip for me but in other hand I'll never release something destroying so good music ? 

Why you must chose so iconic music for yours experiments? 

Edited by zbyti
typo

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Hmmm...

All bias aside, the POKEY version sounds like an arcade machine playing the tune, while the SID version sounds like proper synthesis. Sorry. I even got my Wife to listen (who doesn't care what platform it's on and I didn't tell her) and even she stated beyond all doubt the SID version sounded better.

The "Pokey" tune is a 4 channel version taken from a MOD file .

I hear no inaccuracies in the bass of the SID version (the SID version actually has bass)

Yes. The "bass" is the SID's real benefit. There is no chance to play such bass with POKEY. 

But way round, SID sounds too muffled, and the musician uses a lot Vibrato and Arpeggios to make it sound in tune.  

and I hear no dying Cats in either version. People are entitled to their personal opinions, that's mine. However, a nice cover using POKEY nonetheless.

Nice to read. Thanks for your statement.

5 hours ago, zbyti said:

Why you must chose so iconic music for yours experiments? 

Why do you think it's iconic? It's nothing special on the C64. And I'd everytime prefer the NES remake for it's clear sound and more fluent music flow. 

You know, there are still software issues making full POKEY development. But the result shows more than people might expect. Giving inspirations, whatever. Also there is no other "Supremacy" tune. 

There are several answers for that:

-People don't really like the C64 tune

-People think, it's not possible at all

- People do other stuff ;)

I did some additional test yesterday and found that this way no yelling happens. That's why I posted it. 

17 minutes ago, emkay said:

Why do you think it's iconic? It's nothing special on the C64. And I'd everytime prefer the NES remake for it's clear sound and more fluent music flow. 

If you had a Commodore in the nineties like me, you would know why this is iconic music :]

Edited by zbyti
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, zbyti said:

If you had a Commodore in the nineties like me, you would know why this is iconic music

Yeah, it was iconic BITD. Perhaps I should try an atarisid6 conversion tonight. Wonder why I never did that yet ?

You gotta love the VIC-20, and the C16 in there :) Plus two Gameboys, and a bunch of analog effects. I doubt they really play it live though ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VinsCool said:

15kh mode, or 16bit tuning combined to high pass filter can work for creating convincing SID bass on POKEY :D 

My goal for good bass sounds always was to have all available channels producing a resulting wave like this one. 

It clearly shows a triangle based wave plus harmonics. 

wave.jpg

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/258292-nothing-special/?do=findComment&comment=4297302

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

Try Hard Bass for the Atari... make sure to plug into a stereo, most monitors don't let you hear Atari's lower bass floor...

sorry but sid is still a muffled mess of angry bumble bees for me...

they did a good job of using samplers, processors and mixers to clean things up for the video, having a machine for left and right wasn't a bad choice either. I've heard a handful of good sid stuff over the years that play on a standard machine and the results actually had decent timbre though. It is possible. But most sid stuff is simply flat, muffled bzzzzzz

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

having a machine for left and right wasn't a bad choice either.

That's just for the video. Neither the VIC-20, nor the C16 has a SID chip. The VIC-20 had its VIC chip, and the C16 had the TED sound chip.

• Like 1

too busy looking at the foreground, and to be honest didn't look to close to the mock ups, since they really aren't playing c64's anyway anyway.. it's akin to movies where all the cords aren't connected or the video graphics don't match the computer used. you can use anything you want to act triggers for stuff though, in a midi world at least.

Edited by _The Doctor__