Jump to content
emkay

Nothing special

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

That sounds fucking GREAT!

Feels good to hear my patch in action right there, tuning is excellent in this tune with all these settings combined together. :D

 

Except the tooth pulling here and there, it's fine. 

After 0:59 to 1:40 things get interesting, because there is that touch of a "low pass filter" , this had to be forced :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Except the tooth pulling here and there, it's fine. 

After 0:59 to 1:40 things get interesting, because there is that touch of a "low pass filter" , this had to be forced :)

 

I'm glad you like some of the parts my cover had to offer. I appreciate that!

If you feel so inclined to make changes to the lead instrument, I have uploaded the relevant files for your convenience. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EnderDude said:

I'm glad you like some of the parts my cover had to offer. I appreciate that!

If you feel so inclined to make changes to the lead instrument, I have uploaded the relevant files for your convenience. :)

Thanks for releasing the RMT. I'll check it later :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again a version to get a feeling for it. 

Seems gen. E isn't correct supported in the gen. 2 patch? 

So I used my "crap banjo" there :D

 

It's also (still) the problem with the timing, and actually a little hard in this tune to determine where to put the corrections.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To stealthily edit published online content after the fact, correcting a mistake - either factual or grammatical in nature - after a commentator has called out said mistake (usually in the comments section) without the original author acknowledging that an error has occurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, emkay said:

Again a version to get a feeling for it. 

Seems gen. E isn't correct supported in the gen. 2 patch? 

So I used my "crap banjo" there :D

 

It's also (still) the problem with the timing, and actually a little hard in this tune to determine where to put the corrections.

 

 

Happy Smiley Face GIF by DreamWorks Animation

THAT PESKY WOBBLING!!!!!!

Edited by EnderDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, emkay said:

Again a version to get a feeling for it. 

Seems gen. E isn't correct supported in the gen. 2 patch? 

So I used my "crap banjo" there :D

 

It's also (still) the problem with the timing, and actually a little hard in this tune to determine where to put the corrections.

 

 

Also, sorry I didn't upload the appropriate patch to edit it with, but here ya go:

RMT Patch 16 Beta6.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not unsolvable  :)

It just takes more time to edit, save and play it in Altirra, till it fits.

 

It's also to get the feeling about it, where to change things and where to "let the goodies going on".

It also seems, I'd have to play the martyr and to listen to the SID , to optimize things ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emkay said:

It's not unsolvable  :)

It just takes more time to edit, save and play it in Altirra, till it fits.

 

It's also to get the feeling about it, where to change things and where to "let the goodies going on".

It also seems, I'd have to play the martyr and to listen to the SID , to optimize things ;)

If you want to make sure that all the notation is as good as it can possibly be, I can provide you with the SID to MIDI file I used as a reference (vibratos are messy!):

Agent_X_II_The_Mad_Profs_Back_subtune1.mid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here a quick update. Some (more) parts sound outstanding now  imho :)

 

 

 

 

Edited by emkay
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, emkay said:

Here a quick update. Some (more) parts sound outstanding now  imho :)

 

 

 

 

Nice progress I hear! I can tell that it's just a game of whack-a-mole when it comes to making everything sound as clear as possible. Also, I highly recommend you use that patch to make use of all the distortions to their fullest extents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw: Which version is the latest version that includes the gen. 2 patch?

 

But I have to say that I like the lower start more, so I still kept it.

 

Some parts, particular the fast note changes were still horrible to get fully clean. 

1) The timing differences

2) The missing active control

 

It's the more fun, if the reached sweep of the synth enhances the tune...

 

 

Edited by emkay
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I prefer the last version Enderdude has made.

This take is not bad at all, many of the Distortion 2 and A combinations are pretty nice in channel 1, but several things just don't work very well together.

 

The intro notes using the PWM is on the wrong octave.

Several instrument envelopes don't fit very well in the lead, mainly the volume ramping ones in some parts that demanded a sustained volume level instead.
The part around 1:21 when the bass switched back 15khz to 64khz is out of tune, no idea why 2 incompatible notes were used between channel 2 and 4, there was no point to.

Around 2:20 the entire ending is... totally off, before reverting to the intro section, which was equally odd to hear. These 2 part do technically fit together, but not in the tune as a whole.

 

I'm a little perplexed by the motivation behind these changes.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VinsCool said:

Honestly, I prefer the last version Enderdude has made.

This take is not bad at all, many of the Distortion 2 and A combinations are pretty nice in channel 1, but several things just don't work very well together.

 

The intro notes using the PWM is on the wrong octave.

Several instrument envelopes don't fit very well in the lead, mainly the volume ramping ones in some parts that demanded a sustained volume level instead.
The part around 1:21 when the bass switched back 15khz to 64khz is out of tune, no idea why 2 incompatible notes were used between channel 2 and 4, there was no point to.

Around 2:20 the entire ending is... totally off, before reverting to the intro section, which was equally odd to hear. These 2 part do technically fit together, but not in the tune as a whole.

 

I'm a little perplexed by the motivation behind these changes.

 

I don't particularly understand why either.

6 hours ago, emkay said:

Btw: Which version is the latest version that includes the gen. 2 patch?

 

But I have to say that I like the lower start more, so I still kept it.

 

Some parts, particular the fast note changes were still horrible to get fully clean. 

1) The timing differences

2) The missing active control

 

It's the more fun, if the reached sweep of the synth enhances the tune...

 

 

The only issue that we're trying to get rid of at this point is the phase silence, which is a real pain considering the phase can be different between RMT, Altirra, and maybe even real hardware. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from Emkay, but due to the nature of the hardware it's kinda pointless. I spent a lot of time also trying to fix the phasing, but that'd just move thin or even silent parts somewhere else. Imo, thin is better than nothing!
But I'd definitely appreciate it, Emkay, if we'd start to work with each other, instead of being bitter and critiquing each and every single detail. We can get much farther along if we do that, and that starts with you in turn sharing your edited modules with us to learn techniques and improve songs and covers as a whole.

Edited by EnderDude
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright so tonight I was testing some stuff with my Visualizer and I just couldn't resist the urge, I made my own edit of Enderdude's cover, this time I applied my own "Absolute" Filter manipulation method into it.

The result so far makes me pretty happy, there is little to no phase cancellation happening now, so every playback should be almost identical, even in RMT it sounds most of the same there :P 

Also unrelated but I got some of the Visualizer tighter with the timing, and that most definitely help a lot for the stability.

 

 

Enjoy :D 

If we're making it a team of 3, that definitely will be a really great example of what the POKEY can do!

 

[Edit] now there's some stuff I really need to get done for once and for all, speaking of POKEY music, it's really time to get done with that one too lol

 

Agent X II Level 1 VinEDIT1.obx Agent X II Level 1 VinEDIT1.rmt

Edited by VinsCool
Addendum
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Alright so tonight I was testing some stuff with my Visualizer and I just couldn't resist the urge, I made my own edit of Enderdude's cover, this time I applied my own "Absolute" Filter manipulation method into it.

The result so far makes me pretty happy, there is little to no phase cancellation happening now, so every playback should be almost identical, even in RMT it sounds most of the same there :P 

Also unrelated but I got some of the Visualizer tighter with the timing, and that most definitely help a lot for the stability.

 

 

Enjoy :D 

If we're making it a team of 3, that definitely will be a really great example of what the POKEY can do!

 

[Edit] now there's some stuff I really need to get done for once and for all, speaking of POKEY music, it's really time to get done with that one too lol

 

Agent X II Level 1 VinEDIT1.obx 16.95 kB · 3 downloads Agent X II Level 1 VinEDIT1.rmt 9.37 kB · 3 downloads

Aw sweet!

So I learned that all these tricks really come with experience. ;)

I really wanted to get a lot of phasing in the song, but I learned it's not worth making some notes go thin. So keep phasing to a minimum in the song, and it should be good. Thank you!

Edited by EnderDude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I always asked about cooperation. 

And I promised to share every single step, if a tune of MY request is used. 

Armageddon Man (the SID style) was one of those requests.

"Vixen" or "Golden Axe"  because they are very special. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2021 at 11:09 AM, emkay said:

So I've learned that there are 5 basic kinds of pwm instruments.

For the output, there's one which resets the phase, and another which keeps the phase from the last note. It should be noted that for the phase reset instrument, it has to go silent for a bit to reset the phase.

For the carrier, there's one which goes below the base frequency and one which goes above. These two change the phase in opposite directions. Lastly, there's one which stays on the base frequency, which doesn't change the phase at all.

 

The phase reset instrument was the huge secret I wanted to figure out this whole time. I appreciate it that you let me see that file to take a look at the instruments. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is really recommended to find the correct tuning, before doing stuff like "phasing" . 

 

This means to put the resulting waves to the correct frequency.

 

Then, when everything is stable, the FX should be added...

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

 

 

The phase reset instrument was the huge secret I wanted to figure out this whole time. I appreciate it that you let me see that file to take a look at the instruments. Thanks.

There are several videos in the thread showing that.

It would be all so easy, if the whole software was stable, to rebuild everything directly in the editor of the tracker. 

There has been done a lot and particular the latest RMT patches by VinsCool were a real relief, as the results and demonstration just became more clear.   

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, emkay said:

It is really recommended to find the correct tuning, before doing stuff like "phasing" . 

 

This means to put the resulting waves to the correct frequency.

 

Then, when everything is stable, the FX should be added...

 

 

 

 

 

You mean determining whether the instruments being used are tuned with the notes they are supposed to play? Yes, that's priority. I've mentioned a while back it would be advisable to use RMT patch 16 beta 6 to be able to use 1.79 mhz dist E in the intro, since it's more in-tune than 15khz pwm, but since a lot of changes were made, it might be a lot of work to change it back to that.

Edited by EnderDude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw. 

1) The Intro Instrument fits very well. 

2) Gen. E sounds interesting at 1.79MHz. But it should be usable similar to the gen 2 patch , also gen. 4 

3) The discussion seems to drop aside that the whole tune sounds f'''ng cool in my latest edit. 

 

Now imagine a POKEY tracker that allows everything "active" not just "passive". 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...