IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Do you get the paradoxon in this tune?

Like. Each part in the same key ;) But you could learn a lesson or two from Fragmare or Vinscool about percussion. Your drums muffle all the nice sounds you create!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ivop said:

Like. Each part in the same key ;) But you could learn a lesson or two from Fragmare or Vinscool about percussion. Your drums muffle all the nice sounds you create!!

Really, I always start with pre build drums, but at the end it is recommended to have then sounding that way. 

OK, I could do them a little lower on volume...

On the other Hand, not all POKEY features were still available as it's been recommended.

I'm waiting for the day of some cooperation. You might know "that " Last Ninja Soundtrack ( for example) in a 3 channel "SID like edit" , where emkay could do all needed optimizations on the main synth ;)

3 hours ago, EnderDude said:

Here's a sneak peek of another project I'm working on!

Power chord + HPF = ?

Fuck YES

This sounds great!

Finally someone else experimented with Filter chords :D

There are many combinations that work incredibly well, but I suppose you already knew that :3c

• Like 3

7 hours ago, emkay said:

some 4 channel  conversion. 

Additive synth sounds really good here. Nice job!

Update on the Agent X II stage 2 cover:
The beat is definitely starting to get groovy in this cover, but I feel like it gets a bit weak around the end where I left off. Not really too sure how to make it sound "fuller", y'know?

Otherwise, generally more progress. :)

Enjoy!

(Special thanks to the absolute madlad VinsCool for the memory hack, enabling the use of the Altirra 6502 .dll and subsequently two-tone sound in the tracker!)

(oops... I forgot about me changing the volume popped up in the video and showed the last video I was watching... just ignore it :P)

Edited by EnderDude
Silly recording mistake lol
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EnderDude said:

Additive synth sounds really good here. Nice job!

Thanks. 

Still thinking of some optimizing on the main voice. 

Update on the Agent X II stage 2 cover:

Oops. Now I see. 

This Agent X II game is really weird, as the game and the music won't fit together. 

The beat is definitely starting to get groovy in this cover, but I feel like it gets a bit weak around the end where I left off. Not really too sure how to make it sound "fuller", y'know?

Otherwise, generally more progress. :)

Enjoy!

(Special thanks to the absolute madlad VinsCool for the memory hack, enabling the use of the Altirra 6502 .dll and subsequently two-tone sound in the tracker!)

(oops... I forgot about me changing the volume popped up in the video and showed the last video I was watching... just ignore it :P)

The single parts sound very good. 

The problem is to get them seamlessly transforming to the next part. 

13 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

Sorry, but I don't get it.

Are you talking about the arpeggio, filter, and noise sweeping part around the one minute mark which also sounds distinct in the original too?

It's still a riddle why people can do music , but don't see the flow of music ;) 

Seems I need to add this example:

Agent X II Music- Level Two - YouTube

The tune changes  inbetween, but it is more some intermezzo that a full changing of everything.

Using POKEY it helps to have at least one instrument keeping the same style, to have the tune complete from the start to the end.  

So...

This is just a visualization of the arrangement of the channel modes and all that
You don't want it to be like this:

@64khz (1.)2T Lead track Dist A (2.)2T Lead track Dist A (3.)Arp track Dist A (4.)Bass track Dist E, C & A

but more like this:

@15khz (1.)Lead track Dist A (2.)HPF Bass track Dist A (3.)Arp track Dist A or Dist 2 & E @1.79mhz (4.)HPF Bass track Dist A     ?

I mean I was considering doing it that way to keep the deep bass, but there are way too many high notes for the lead and arpeggio track in these parts to justify it in my opinion; it'll sound detuned.

Edited by EnderDude
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, emkay said:

It's just about a fluent tune. It's up to you how you manage it. 

It would be a good decision to have some similar instruments sounding on different pokey settings.

Ah, gotcha. I'll see what else I can do with the bass distortions. ;)

9 minutes ago, emkay said:

Btw: Is the notation "Original" in step 00 ?

The first row of patterns in the song? I looked at the notation on a midi conversion of the song, and adjusted it so it'd sound like it's on the right octave and used the HPF to give it a sound closer to a sawtooth wave. I wouldn't say it's necessarily "original" though, hehe.

To elaborate, I don't use .MODs to make covers on the PoKEY anymore; it's too much work just fixing the note ranges and all that. Instead, I make a midi conversion of the song if I can, load it into OpenMPT to see the notes, and transcribe it into RMT manually from there. It's much easier for me to know which instruments do what, since I'm making all of them from scratch, and I can make my own improvisations on the notation and instruments to work with the hardware more easily as well. This kind of workflow works better for me, at least.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

Instead, I make a midi conversion of the song if I can, load it into OpenMPT to see the notes, and transcribe it into RMT manually from there.

You might also want to consider siddump, if your source is a .sid file. Very handy to see all the notes. You have to manually notice which arpeggios are used, but that's also the case with MIDI data I suppose.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one was transcribed using siddump. It took me around 4 hours or something.

Then Vinscool turned it into this:

Note that Vinscool's rendition might be way cooler, the recording is way hotter :D So adjust your volume in between listening both versions :)

Edit: the siddump command line options are confusing, so here's the command line I used to dump Freeze.sid from an old and buried post:

Dump with siddump -f4 -n6 -p16 -t117 Freeze.sid , which means skip 4 frames, one (16th) note is 6 frames, 16 notes per frame (1 bar), 117 seconds.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, emkay said:

You see RMT playing, then Altirra playing in the background.

Which player do you use with Altirra? And which one with RMT? What is exported, or do you use RMT2LZSS, or assemble yourself with mads, which version of the 6502 player is used, so many variables. I agree that the Altirra replay sounds "clicky". Something is going wrong there.

Edited by ivop

22 minutes ago, ivop said:

Which player do you use with Altirra? And which one with RMT? What is exported, or do you use RMT2LZSS, or assemble yourself with mads, which version of the 6502 player is used, so many variables. I agree that the Altirra replay sounds "clicky". Something is going wrong there.

It's the player supported in the patched RMT. 

LZSS doesn't support the gen 2 patch.

The only difference I could immediately notice is the volume level difference (but that is the obvious one), as well as the pitch being slightly different, due to some shenanigans in the RMT code, if my memory is correct it's initialised with (slightly off) NTSC parameters, and there is currently no way to switch it on the fly.

But other than that, things seem to be very close to each other.