IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

On 10/22/2021 at 6:41 PM, emkay said:

Why not. 

OK, just did a preliminary test, to see if siddump can handle it, and it can. All notes are properly detected by the setting of the gate bit (unlike Galway's player, for example).

Also checked out sid2midiw, and IMHO it won't help me. Converted some standards, like Cybernoid, and it totally misses portamento. Hence the resulting MIDI file sounds way out of tune, and you still need musical knowledge and skills to correct that. It's a 20 year old tool, and there's no source. siddump's source is there, and begging for improvements and new output options ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ivop said:

OK, just did a preliminary test, to see if siddump can handle it, and it can. All notes are properly detected by the setting of the gate bit (unlike Galway's player, for example).

Also checked out sid2midiw, and IMHO it won't help me. Converted some standards, like Cybernoid, and it totally misses portamento. Hence the resulting MIDI file sounds way out of tune, and you still need musical knowledge and skills to correct that. It's a 20 year old tool, and there's no source. siddump's source is there, and begging for improvements and new output options ;)

Show the result ;)

6 minutes ago, emkay said:

Show the result ;)

Haha, not yet. I just tested if siddump transcription was possible. Some players are not properly detected. Gate bit toggle within one frame, so it is missed by the caller, i.e. siddump, or atarisid (I specifically patch such players to call back to the emulation layer to signal a gate bit toggle).

But Edge Of Disgrace works, but no note has been transcribed yet. It starts with a D ;)

Perhaps somewhere next week. Subtune 1 is around 51 seconds.

Just for fun I ran it through siddasm2. Except for the clash between hardware registers and RAM under the hardware registers (which is possible on the C64 IIRC, unlike our hardware registers), it looks pretty neat. Player and Init code, and a LOT of data :) Not sure if it'll be of any help, unless somebody ports the player to use Pokey registers ;)

• Like 3

On 10/23/2021 at 6:45 PM, EnderDude said:

I can now say that I have a version which keeps TT on at all times :)

Besides, this solution is much cleaner with the fast arpeggios. You don't want them being potentially cancelled out when using the filter! :P

What package allows the most correct and stable sounding for this?

I'm still twisted. I also know about the issues, and I really like the resulting sounds. 

In many ranges it sounds great, but some parts still sound like this "do one chord, then the next" .

The tune needs some "warmth" to get the right touch. 

It's so close. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

What package allows the most correct and stable sounding for this?

I'm still twisted. I also know about the issues, and I really like the resulting sounds. 

In many ranges it sounds great, but some parts still sound like this "do one chord, then the next" .

The tune needs some "warmth" to get the right touch. 

It's so close. 

So this is about the beginning section with the chords and the "flow"?

Honestly, I think the only thing that can fix that at this point is add back in the vibrato.

34 minutes ago, EnderDude said:

So this is about the beginning section with the chords and the "flow"?

Honestly, I think the only thing that can fix that at this point is add back in the vibrato.

That's the point where 100% accuracy might be recommended. 

It might help, as I wrote above, to give the synth a deeper start and a higher release (built on the PWM wave length addition ).

10 minutes ago, emkay said:

That's the point where 100% accuracy might be recommended. 

It might help, as I wrote above, to give the synth a deeper start and a higher release (built on the PWM wave length addition ).

Ok, have a listen to this version.

For the sake of convenience, the memory hack and the .dll's have been put here as well :)
I've lost track of which recording is the newest since I don't keep them all in one folder lol
Besides, you can make some changes if you want

monty-on-the-run.rmt RMT MEMORY HACK TEST 7-9.exe sa_pokey.dll sa_c6502.dll

Edited by EnderDude
  • Like 4

I do like that idea of using both channels in two-tone. Sounds nice!

I was hesitant to add in the vibrato at first because as you go up in pitch, the more extreme the vibrato would become, and the intro had a wide range of notes. I didn't want the vibrato to start becoming distracting around the end.

Moreover on the intro, I'm not too sure on the change of the high notes back to pure square. I chose distortion 2 because its frequency range covered those notes better. I only used it once, so it shouldn't be that annoying.
Other than that, I like your kind of spin on it :)

Edited by EnderDude
  • Like 2

What's still missing the automatic control when a single step changes AUDCTL and the generator together . 

Well, the 2 tone has the benefit to add 16 bit resolution to the filter. so the whole tune is easily to handle.

But the limited 8 bit stuff still needs the possibility of the automation. 

There is still a lot missing ;)

Edited by emkay

6 hours ago, ivop said:

No Edge Of Disgrace transcription yet, but wow, this Dane dude did a lot of great sid tunes. Here's an atarisid 6.1 conversion of one of his last tunes in 2015.

Zero by Stellan Andersson (Dane) 2015 Booze Design.

as6s-zero.xex 10.77 kB · 5 downloads

Yeah. When it comes to "good SID" music, I'm more thinking about Mitch & Dane that of Rob Hubbard :D

Particular "Gloria" catched me back then. (listening to kohina radio back in 2003 ) ...

Yeah, Tel did a lot of great songs, too! As for Hubbard, his player is cool. His composing skills not so much IMHO. Here's International Karate ;)

Plain plagiarism. And he did more. Delta is Koyaanisqatsi. Without any credit to Phillip Glass.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1