IGNORED

Intellivision Wizard of Wor

KylJoy

:? Not sure why anybody would shoot this idea down, it's a great game.. the Intellivision really needs more arcade ports and voice games. This would be so cool with the Intellivoice, but I wouldn't expect miracles with it's limitations. Talking about primitive but I'm not even sure the Inty could pull it off accurately from what I've read.. but if so, I'd LOVE to see it made, I would gladly buy a copy or two. WoW is one of my top-5, favorite classic arcade games, the sound alone..such creepy ambiance; the perfect Halloween game! I think the graphics are fine, they're meant to be simple.. this is why I like classic games to begin with. :)

It'll be a dream come true when a new homebrew version finally comes out on the ColecoVision, hopefully by this time next year. :lust:

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

:? Not sure why anybody would shoot this idea down, it's a great game..

Horses for courses? Not everybody thinks it's such a great game.

the Intellivision really needs more arcade ports and voice games.

The Intellivision, and the home-brew community in general, could use some more new and original ideas.

This would be so cool with the Intellivoice,

Why? It's some of the lamest speech robotic speech synthesis. The Intellivision is capable of playing actual human voice and samples.

but I wouldn't expect miracles with it's limitations. Talking about primitive but I'm not even sure the Inty could pull it off accurately from what I've read..

Come on! It wouldn't really be a "miracle," it's a very simple game. Ms. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong are a bit more of a stretch since their game-play depends on elements that require fast processing, like the smooth simultaneous movement of multiple enemies, the large playing-field, etc.

Wizard of Wor is not a really complicated game. A limitation could be the multiple colours of every single enemy, but that's it. Even the Intellivoice playing those voices would be underutilized.

I agree with HunterZero, the game has good bones for a great game, but in my opinion, its clunky and primitive. That is not speaking only of the graphics, that is the game-play itself has little depth and the movements are very clunky. It feels like someones quick-and-dirty port of a much greater game.

However, I am not "shooting down" this idea. I just really, really wish programmers trusted their creativity more, or collaborate with designers better, and produce more original titles. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

To each his own.. ;)

Exactly! As I said, "horses for courses." I respect and appreciate that you and others love the game (it is a good game and a classic one). To say you don't understand why others don't share your passion for it does not seem very fair. ;)

-dZ.

Well I never expected everybody to like it, that's just not how people work. ;) I was only hoping for a little more enthusiasm from the folks that do like the game, to encourage the programmer (past/present/old/new) and keep him/her motivated. It would be a shame if somebody was actually working on it, but lost the passion to complete it, due to lack of interest. :) I welcome any new game for our favorite console(s) though, whatever it may be and if I like it, I buy it. It's all good. :)

• Like 3

I really enjoy Wizard of Wor and would like to see it done and improved if possible. Perhaps a classic mode and a Wizard of Wor 21st Century version? Classic or improved, I think it is worth doing and would suit the Intellivision well.

Either way, I hope the person working on it will dedicate some more time to the project and start moving it forward.

The person I know, who is working on it has not done any releases yet, so perhaps we can leave it to others to be more 'creative' and just get a game out that I think most people would welcome.

• Like 6

Super Pro Wizard of Wor? ...with maze editor? Yes please! Imagine running around Pac and Ms. Pac styled mazes. :lol:

There's already an incredible WoW home-brew/hack in development for the 2600 (with arcade mazes and speech), so not sure how excited I would be for a straight Intellivision port. Plus as it is, it's a tight and fast paced maze'y-twitch game and one that relies on excellent controls in order to be any good at. Be interesting to see how well the Intellivision could pull off that level of frantic action, especially when hunting that damned Worluk or Wizard!

• Like 1

With only 8 MOBs, multi-color sprites get expensive quick.

For what it is worth, the Commodore 64 version of Wizard of Wor uses single colour, hires sprites while the Commodore MAX version (also runnable on the C64) uses multi colour, lower resolution sprites. Game wise, the native C64 version is much more fun to play than the MAX version. I don't think multi colour sprites at all are required for a good port of Wizard of Wor, in particular as you note you soon would have a shortage of MOBs.

Atari 2600 multiplex a bunch of sprites. Still a lot of fun to play with 2 players and visible on the LCD screen.

In order for this game to work on Intellivision, the 6 blue enemies and the enemy shot can be use as backtab with preshifted graphics, unless you want to multiplex the blue enemies. As the number of enemies goes down to 4, then you should have enough single color MOBs to be use for the orange and red enemies. The Worlock can use 2 color MOB since he's the only person on screen once you cleared the enemies. And then finally the Wizard of Wor I think uses 2 colors like the arcade version. The 2 players and their gun/shots(multiplex'd Tutankham style) are the remaining 4 MOBs.

• Like 1

After checking a YouTube video of the C64 version, it seems there never are more than 6 enemies on screen, plus two sprites for the players. Your missiles appear to be drawn with character graphics, actually moving so fast that they skip every second column/row until they hit a target. The Worluk indeed uses overlay sprites but it is the only character when it arrives. So no multiplexing of sprites in this 1983 game.

After checking a YouTube video of the C64 version, it seems there never are more than 6 enemies on screen, plus two sprites for the players. Your missiles appear to be drawn with character graphics, actually moving so fast that they skip every second column/row until they hit a target. The Worluk indeed uses overlay sprites but it is the only character when it arrives. So no multiplexing of sprites in this 1983 game.

I think the shot using backtab could be tricky but do able being Commodore background card much smaller size than Intellivision. The game could run in colorstack mode with the foreground color being black to make the level border color cycle faster for the Worlock and the Wizard of War stage. Plus there should be cpu time to load in the card to animate the border shimming during the Worlock/Wizard of War stage. And the radar can use the colorsquare cards, requires 3 bottom vertical rows to make. Probably going to shift the screen over by 4 pixel to center the maze. I'll probably make a screen shot mock-up to get a better idea how this game could look on the Intellivision. It's in my head and driving me a bit crazy. And the Intellivision MOBs going to be 8x16 sized.

I think the shot using backtab could be tricky but do able being Commodore background card much smaller size than Intellivision. The game could run in colorstack mode with the foreground color being black to make the level border color cycle faster for the Worlock and the Wizard of War stage. Plus there should be cpu time to load in the card to animate the border shimming during the Worlock/Wizard of War stage. And the radar can use the colorsquare cards, requires 3 bottom vertical rows to make. Probably going to shift the screen over by 4 pixel to center the maze. I'll probably make a screen shot mock-up to get a better idea how this game could look on the Intellivision. It's in my head and driving me a bit crazy. And the Intellivision MOBs going to be 8x16 sized.

The game is simple enough (with no fancy animations or effects), so there should be plenty of CPU time to do all sorts of stuff. The playing field is mostly composed of solid lines, so no much GRAM usage there. The player missiles can be animated on the BACKTAB via GRAM cycling to move them smoothly across the playing field.

The radar can be done by using a set of GRAM cards as a buffer and writing a bitmap on them directly. They seem to update only once or twice per second on the arcade version, and the objects position updates can be staggered, which reduces processing requirements on every frame.

The MOB distribution could be:

• 2 for player Worrior
  • 1 for enemy Worrior
  • 5 for other enemies

All MOBs at 8x16, in double-vertical resolution. You can add one more enemy if you reduce the player's Worrior to a single colour, which may be an acceptable compromised.

-dZ.

• 3 months later...

Let's see, according to CBS press release both WOR and GORF should be here by now.

Wow, great announcement, the only thing they got right is that Coleco/CBS had released 8 games for the Intellivision.

But I remember depending on the CBS catalog and waiting for all the games to be released that were in there.

Madden Football!? In 1983?

Does anyone have any more details on that nugget?

Looks like CBS also planned a Madden Football for Colecovision, Atari 800, Atari 5200 as well. Here's a brochure. And in 2015 someone there claims to have the code to a 5200 version

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/33745-2600-madden-football/?p=3377625

And here's an Arcade Express newsletter from July 1983; see page 3.

https://archive.org/details/arcade_express_v1n24

I don't know how they were going to get 22 players on the field.

Edited by mr_me