IGNORED

TI-99 Power Supplies

AwkwardPotato

Probably a very newbish question,

What is the difference between the 9900, 9500, 95000, etc. TI-99 power bricks? I've heard that both the TI-99/4's and the TI-99/4a's have the same model number yet different voltages, yet there seem to be many model numbers, and I've heard that some with the same model number have different voltages. My 9500 and my 95000 seem to have different voltages on pins 2 and 4 so I was wondering which ones are safer to use on the 99/4a.

Thanks!

Generally, all of the power bricks for the 99/4 and 99/4A are interchangeable. There is one exception: the power supply used with some very early 99/4s that had a DC output instead of an AC output. That power supply will only work with the consoles with the slide switch for volume control and a speaker above the cartridge port. The were only made for a couple of months in late 1979 and early 1980. It is also a HUGE brick of a power supply. . .and not at all common.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
arcadeshopper, on 07 Nov 2016 - 7:10 PM, said:

if we were to replace the external power brick this would be the right transformer no? http://www.jameco.com/z/53260-48VA-Power-Transformer_2188502.html

Greg

I believe the TI transformer gives 16V and 8V - and the transformer on that link doesn't have 8V.

Surely there are enough old power bricks kicking around that you could take the transformer out of one of those, if you're tinkering? Then you know you have exactly the right one.

I believe the TI transformer gives 16V and 8V - and the transformer on that link doesn't have 8V.

Surely there are enough old power bricks kicking around that you could take the transformer out of one of those, if you're tinkering? Then you know you have exactly the right one.

Yeah... bottom line, it's just larger AC so it can be regulated down to 12V and 5V. :)

I really need to figure out a better way to hack my newly found PSU into the /4A (i.e. still have a switch in the /4A with it), as it replaces both the power brick and the internal PSU. The Colecovision kind of did this with their PSU - had a multi DC output power supply that just plugged into the main unit. No split PSU nonsense like we have with the TI :)

Generally, all of the power bricks for the 99/4 and 99/4A are interchangeable. There is one exception: the power supply used with some very early 99/4s that had a DC output instead of an AC output. That power supply will only work with the consoles with the slide switch for volume control and a speaker above the cartridge port. The were only made for a couple of months in late 1979 and early 1980. It is also a HUGE brick of a power supply. . .and not at all common.

Ksarul helped me with it to sort it out (for the very early /4) via a person I got his (broken) spare one, then fixed it with fuses and blew it up again

(and now I think it is better to replace the whole PSU, maybe can replace it inside the shoe-shape cover), but I am hardly at home last months

to play with my real-iron TI. Do not look for a while and whole TI-99/4A Atari Age is filled up with all kind of new stuff, hard to catch-up, love it!

Richard Bell was trying to give original Power Supplies away by the case about ten years ago (for the cost of shipping) with few or no takers. I think a lot of them ended up in the landfill due to lack of storage space.

Yeah I should have taken him up on that instead of the mitsumi keyboards :D but I didn't realize how many people would ask me in the last 6mo for a pwr supply ..

• 4 months later...