IGNORED

Gotek Setup

Hxc. Jumpers set. I had to wire in a longer power cable, and floppy ribbon extender on the way. She powers up and the access light turn on when floppy a is accessed, but I get an error. I need to configure this damn thing.post-31298-0-44123100-1477610375_thumb.jpegpost-31298-0-44123100-1477610375_thumb.jpeg any help is appreciated.post-31298-0-99275500-1477611044_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Paul Westphal

Well to start your cable is plugged in wrong. Pin 1 on the gotek is on the other side. You will need to twist the cable.

As for the card setup, that is very simple you will need to copy whatever version you plan to use, also depends on if you use lcd or not, but i would go with "normal" file, then copy the cfg and the setup you chose to the root. Everything else can be placed in a folder, example Games folder, Demo folder etc.

Edited by cjameslv

Also you need to remove that first jumper at the end of the row. The other one is fine. There is nothing else to do hardware wise. Software wise just pick /auto/normal/indexed folder based on what your setup runs from below.

Here is the simple instructions i copied from txt file for setup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
- General STM32 HxC Floppy Emulator Firmware Usage -
-> Format the USB Stick in FAT32 (FAT12 & FAT16 also supported).
-> Copy the right HXCSDFE.CFG file to the root of the USB Stick (See "Mode selection" below for more details).
-> Copy or generate your disks images to the USB Stick. (See "File images supported" below for mode details).
-> Insert the USB Stick into the emulator.
- Mode selection -
There are actually three modes available :
---------------
- Normal mode -
---------------
In this mode the file image/disk to load is directly selected with the buttons
and the LCD screen. One I2C screen and a push button on the JA connector is needed
to be able to use this mode. No extra software needed.
The config file to copy to the root of the flash media for this mode :
Config_Files\Normal_mode\HXCSDFE.CFG
----------------
- Indexed mode -
----------------
In this mode the file images must be named DSKA0000.HFE, DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE,...
The 2/3 digits display shows the actual file number selected.
No LCD and/or extra push button is needed to use this mode.
No extra software needed.
This is the recommended mode when you don't have the extra LCD & button and when
your machine can't use the autoboot mode (see below).
The config file to copy to the root of the flash media for this mode :
Config_Files\Indexed_mode\HXCSDFE.CFG
-------------------
- "Autoboot" mode -
-------------------
In this mode, the AUTOBOOT.HFE software is used to select the images to load
directly on the computer.
This software is actually available on Amiga, Atari ST and CPC computers.
No LCD and/or extra push button is required to use this mode, but the LCD may help you
to see which disk is actually mounted.
The config and the software file to copy to the root of the flash media for this mode :
Edited by cjameslv

• 3 months later...

Hey all - hate to keep tapping this thread, but I am having some issues as well. I have a working AtariSTFM and have installed the Gotek USB floppy emulator correctly (Jumpers on S0 and M0), with ribbon cable attached appropriately to pin 1. I am using a SF 354 case with the mechanicals replaced with the Gotek USB. The drive is connected as a "B:\" drive.

Everything appears fine. Green drive access light is on, USB drive is flashing (accessing) and i get the message "Loading HxC Manager..." with a progress bar represented by a bracket and subsequent periods afterward (ex. [............................ ) However the progress bar stops at the right edge of the screen and within 20 secs I hear a drive "buzz." Nothing happens after that.

I have reformattted the drive, copying the ST config files over to the drive (ie, I have followed the instructions)

Any input on what I may be doing wrong? I have not tried setting the jumper to S1 instead of S0, nor have I opened the ST's case to install the Gotek in drive "A:\" yet.

Any help would be appreciated. I will keep trying ideas and will let you know if I figure it out.

I don't know if you can assign an external drive as default drive. Pretty sure its reserved for internal connector only. I could be wrong though :P

There's a hardware mod you can do to swap the A/B drives on the ST, but it requires attaching wires to your sound chip, so it might not be for everyone, and I can't attest to it's reliability. Google Atari ST drive swap mod, you should find it.

• 11 months later...

There more info here look under ... USB Stick STM32 HxC Floppy Emulator (beta):new.gif http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

Software : For Gotek

> USB STM32 HxCFloppyEmulator firmware upgrade v3.0.8.2a + Alpha 3.1.1.1a (HFE + HFEv3 + ADF + ST + IMG + (E)DSK file format support) new.gif

I have one on my Amiga but going to use it on my Atari ST520fm I just got working,It needed a new Power supply.. :D

Edited by Spanner

Just got mine working with Atari ST 520 Fm (what does Fm stand for..?,Anyone) but for some reason I had to turn the disk cable round,it wouldn't boot otherwise.

This work fine,just tested it..

> USB HxCFloppyEmulator Manager (for Atari ST,Amstrad CPC and Amiga) its for gotek but named SDCard_HxC... for some reason, I have renamed mine to Gotek_HxC_Floppy_Emulator_Manager

Got to get another Gotek now for my Amiga 500.. :D

Edited by Spanner

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can use a self contained USB 3 100 GIG hard drive with the GOTEK emulator or does it just take flash drives ???? I have a few 32 GB flash drives that I can use just in case the hard drive will not work................. Russ Campbell

Does anyone know if you can use a self contained USB 3 100 GIG hard drive with the GOTEK emulator or does it just take flash drives ???? I have a few 32 GB flash drives that I can use just in case the hard drive will not work................. Russ Campbell

USB3 specification is up to 4.5W of power per jack. Your USB hard disks are probably drawing just under 3W.

I expect the Gotek is specified to USB1 which delivers 0.75W per jack, so no, unless you have an additional power supply, it almost certainly wont even spin up.

Even if you overcome the power issue, from memory Gotek expects FAT32. FAT32's largest drive support of 32GB.

USB sticks are cheap. The Gotek even supports a USB Card Reader so you can plug in CF and SD cards. I wouldn't bother with the drama of what you're suggesting, but if you do try it, let us all know how it goes.

USB3 specification is up to 4.5W of power per jack. Your USB hard disks are probably drawing just under 3W.

I expect the Gotek is specified to USB1 which delivers 0.75W per jack, so no, unless you have an additional power supply, it almost certainly wont even spin up.

Even if you overcome the power issue, from memory Gotek expects FAT32. FAT32's largest drive support of 32GB.

USB sticks are cheap. The Gotek even supports a USB Card Reader so you can plug in CF and SD cards. I wouldn't bother with the drama of what you're suggesting, but if you do try it, let us all know how it goes.

Will do , I doubt if I will try it, even though I have a powered interface for Sata drives, and I can format them fat32 with a special program up to 2 TB ....if it works I will let you all know, should have it by tomorrow............. I cannot remember the name of the program, but when I find it again , I will let you know about that too.... Russ

Can anyone tell me the directory structure on the Gotek with Sock firmware (I have purchased the HXC software but don't know if I need to reinstall the bootloader or if the stock bootloader will work) It was flashed and said HXC compatable I got one from Quebec)... I will flash it later when I go to my friends , I am picking up an old PC with 3.5 inch and 525 inch floppies and WIndows XP and putting Omniflash on it .... need that or single sided disks which I have over 200 originals for the .ST archive mostly unprotected magazine disks.Russ

As for putting your Gotak into an external case, you need to actually open the ST and put it in and replace the floppy drive, it will not work as Drive B, and setting up an external as drive A is hard, (Unless you are going to wire the external case to the internal ribbon, that will work, I put mine into the ST and replaced the floppy pretty well all of the 9000 games and utilities that I have work OK, here is a hint for getting it to work: if you want to save the game in a slot (from 1 to 255 I think) , you can actually press enter on the game that you want to load, then cursor down and choose a number (start with 001) press F7 to save it to that slot , then reboot. It will now boot into that disk.... its that simple. To get out of the disk you are loading turn the machine on and wait 2 secs and then press both butttons. The will put it back into the stripped down HXC which is free on your Gotek flash drive, there shoulld be some sort of HXC config file, if not download my file , it has HXC built in but uses FF.

When you boot up you should hold down both buttons on the Gotek for 3 to 5 secs then release the button, if you have done this successfully you will get an HXC menu that uses arrow keys.... if not hold both buttons for a shorter time while booting.

THat should be it, my zip file has enough games and utilities to keep you going for over 12 months (there are that many) Russ

Here is the latest file all set up for Gotek that has been flashed from Quebec, (FF and 3rd party HXC) with 7000 games and utilities for the Atari ST, the link to my Mega site is here:https://mega.nz/#F!YFVBEJ5Y!Fu3CCx3QJ-21q9JBx5Invw, all you have to do is format a USB 2.0 stick 8 GIG or bigger in fat32, then copy the contents of the zip file (make sure that you enter the folder first) to your flash drive.... make sure that you do not fast format it , use a free program like Mini Tool Partition Wizard 10.2 to format the stick with fat32 and default settings .... if you have one of these Goteks from Quebec that come with an 8 GB flash drive (around $58 Can with shipping) , I would recommend against any Chinese imports as #1 they are inferior to the good ones , and #2 they have no bootloader on them. You get what you pay for in the case of the Atari ST (and Amiga) and USB 3.0 sticks work !!!!!! ............... Russ Campbell

Edited by rcamp48