IGNORED

Arcade Games You'd Like To See Ported To The Atari 7800

Skippy B. Coyote

Would love to have Red Baron, Tempest, battlezone, star wars arcade, empire strikes back arcade, return of the jedi,krull, double dragon 2&3 and major havok on 7800. These games are the games we should be getting.

Programmers should be bringing all of Ataris best arcade games to the 7800. Original ideas are cool and all, but no. You dont compete with major havok or star wars arcade. I've said it before and will say it again. Games on here sell 50-60 copies and people who make them keep saying that.

Dont mean to hurt any feelings here but I can almost guarantee any of the games I just mentioned would outsell oystron or beef drop or anything else for that matter. Good games, but they lack appeal. Only die hard Atari fans would enjoy those type of games. Which is why they only sell 50-60 copies max. Give us some shit we all know and that can change.

Would love to have Red Baron, Tempest, battlezone, star wars arcade, empire strikes back arcade, return of the jedi,krull, double dragon 2&3 and major havok on 7800. These games are the games we should be getting.

You are not going to see a lot of Double Dragon 3 fans at all. Double Dragon 3 is not what I call a good game. Double Dragon 3 for the Nes is better than the Genesis version despite the Genesis version being more truer to the arcade. Double Dragon 3 for the nes is average at best to me.

Battlezone was attempted for the Atari 7800, but there was problems with developing the game.

Tempest was supposed to an Atari 7800 XM game. I don't think the game is going to come out because of the programmer in question. That programmer in question hasn't been on a Atari 7800 forum over 3 years. The reason Tempest was supposed to be a XM game was due to the amount ram in needed based on what I read on this forum in the past.I believe Major Havok would be having a ram issue like Tempest.

Edited by 8th lutz

Programmers should be bringing all of Ataris best arcade games to the 7800. Original ideas are cool and all, but no. You dont compete with major havok or star wars arcade. I've said it before and will say it again. Games on here sell 50-60 copies and people who make them keep saying that.

Dont mean to hurt any feelings here but I can almost guarantee any of the games I just mentioned would outsell oystron or beef drop or anything else for that matter. Good games, but they lack appeal. Only die hard Atari fans would enjoy those type of games. Which is why they only sell 50-60 copies max. Give us some shit we all know and that can change.

Oystron isn't an arcade game to my knowledge and is an Atari 2600 game, and not a 7800. That is different than Beef drop since Beef Drop actually Burgertime.

There has been games that sold more than 50-60 copies max on the homebrew atari 7800 scene. It seems like you don't know this, but there actually are different versions of Beef drop for the Atari 7800. The first version is the one that has a Pokey sound chip inside a Atari 7800 cartridge and the other 7800 version of Beefdrop has no additional sound chips inside a cartridge. I can tell you the Pokey sound chip version had over 100 copies sold and I own a copy of the Pokey version matter of fact with it being numbered #85. The Pokey sound chip version stopped being sold at the Atariage store years ago. It was caused by the supply of Pokey sound chips at the time. The Pokey sound chip supply issue is one of the reasons Froggie wasn't released on the 7800 yet.

I am 100 percent sure that Pac-Man Collection has even more copies sold than the Pokey version of Beefdrop and the non pokey version of Beefdrop(Burgertime) combined.

More than half of the Atariage store's 7800 section are arcade ports. There would've been even more homebrew Atari 7800 ports if Phoenix, Defender, Gorf, Arkanoid, Galaxian, and Battlezone were completed.

There also is no proof on how many copies Bentley Bear's Crystal quest is going to sell once its in the Atariage Store. That game is the most advanced homebrew Atari 7800 game completed to this day and that game is going to sell copies because it has technical stuff that you just don't see in other 7800 games.

What you also don't realize is it took the Atari 7800 homebrew scene many years to get boards bigger than 48k. The Atari 7800 only could go up to 48k games without bankswitching. Arkandoid is the only attempt of a 7800 homebrew arcade port that was released in the arcades after 1983.

The pokey sound chip supply issue actually was caused by the series of events in 1984 and 1985 that affected the Atari 7800. The 7800 was supposed to be released throughout the United States in 1984, but Tramiel buying Atari's computer and game console divisions prevented that with Tramiel creating Atari Corp. To top it off the Atari 7800 wasn't put of that sale since Warner didn't pay GCC yet. GCC was the company responsible for developing the 7800.

The Tramiel family wasn't big on putting additional sound chip in game cartridges from a cost standpoint and it did affect the supply of the sound chip as a result. The Atari 7800 only had 2 Pokey sound chip games released during its retail run. That in return means the Homebrew scene had to use Commando/Ball Blazer Pokey sound chips or use Pokey sound chips from Atari 8 bit computers or the Atari 5200 game console.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2

Programmers should be bringing all of Ataris best arcade games to the 7800. Original ideas are cool and all, but no. You dont compete with major havok or star wars arcade.

Different strokes for different folks but I totally disagree. I have a bunch of ways to play classic arcade games already. Sure I'd like to see some of these on the 7800 because it would be fun, but I'd rather buy good, original games (Dungeon Stalker was the first 7800 homebrew cart I purchased). Now as to what would sell more, I think there are a lot of factors. It is awfully hard to put out a quality original game, though. You don't know where the finish line is, and the design is unproven.

• Like 1

Different strokes for different folks but I totally disagree. I have a bunch of ways to play classic arcade games already. Sure I'd like to see some of these on the 7800 because it would be fun, but I'd rather buy good, original games (Dungeon Stalker was the first 7800 homebrew cart I purchased). Now as to what would sell more, I think there are a lot of factors. It is awfully hard to put out a quality original game, though. You don't know where the finish line is, and the design is unproven.

Yep and I agree to a point, and this is again personal preference as you mentioned, but some games aren't on many classic systems. An example I and others mentioned was Mr. Do. My favorite Colecovision game. I'd love to see another port because to me, the 2600 version is horrible and I don't think there was a cart version made for the atari 8-bits, 5200 or the C64, even though there may have been disk versions, and as a cart collector I'd love to see a cart version of Mr. Do on the 7800.

Sure there's great ports on later systems like the gameboy and SNES and they are fantastic but I do love those pre-nes versions of arcade classics. Hey, maybe someone should do an NES port of Mr. Do!

• Like 3

There are 160 or so copies being made for Toki.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would like Attax as well; including trackball support!

So there is no confusion as there are multiple "Attax" on the search engine:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6960

That's exactly the one I want. It would be a 7800 exclusive as far as home ports go. Plus I really want this artwork on a 7800 Cart. It's even already set for that sweet silver border.

Ataxx_JP_box_art.jpg

• Like 2