IGNORED

pc99 for Windows

blackbox

And the pricing, I am confused, what is the CLEAR TOTAL AMOUNT needed WITH SHIPPING to get the complete set for someone that has NEVER owned PC99 or CYC in the past?

Never purchased the Cyc or pc99 and live in the USA or Canada and want it on DVD= US$49

Want a USB stick instead of a dvd? Add $5

Available to new purchasers from 1st January 2017 - priority is being given to prior purchasers

CaDD is just Mike Wright, with programming of pc99w by one developer

regards Stephen

I have not tested the suite, not having Windows, but pc99 is of value to me for the ability to use both Myarc XB and Triton SXB. It emulates TI 32k and Myarc 512k ram, Horizon ramdisk, super kart, TI and Myarc fdc and Myarc hfdc, speech, p-code card... and other things.

Can any other emulator allow you to run Myarc XB 2.12?

I could make it run in MAME for sure, but I'm still missing some information, as this posting was left unanswered: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251850-yesterdays-news/?p=3594373

The MEXP-1 is properly emulated in MAME (including the 8K DSR). I also have this floppy disk image with XBII1,2,3...7, but I do not know what to do with it. The LOAD program assumes some special subprograms that are not present in standard XB. Maybe the XBII* files must first be loaded, somehow. If they belong to some superspace cartridge, I'd need the kind of that cartridge (CRU or XB-style banking).

I could make it run in MAME for sure, but I'm still missing some information, as this posting was left unanswered: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251850-yesterdays-news/?p=3594373

Mike- I have put what info I have in response to your query- hope it helps. Please see:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251850-yesterdays-news/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3622149

regards Stephen

• Like 1

I still think the most valuable part of the package is the Cyc. As for the emulator itself, it's nice, but it doesn't do anything more than what can be done with MESS for free, with the exception of the disk transfer utility which is very cool.

So, from a reality check standpoint, and I think Mike Wright figured this out, very few people were going to buy PC99w by itself, so he had to bundle it with the Cyc. He also reduced the price substantially to make it more palatable.

That said, I do not have the time to go and get a money order to pay for this, and it's frankly medieval to require such an antiquated payment method to start with. Why not use Paypal or Google Wallet and charge a service fee? Or let Arcadeshopper sell the package for him at a reasonable markup? Go figure...

• Like 4

The MEXP-1 is properly emulated in MAME (including the 8K DSR). I also have this floppy disk image with XBII1,2,3...7, but I do not know what to do with it. The LOAD program assumes some special subprograms that are not present in standard XB. Maybe the XBII* files must first be loaded, somehow. If they belong to some superspace cartridge, I'd need the kind of that cartridge (CRU or XB-style banking).

I just answered you, thought I'd posted that somewhere else too.. but there you go :)

Greg

• 2 years later...

I still think the most valuable part of the package is the Cyc. As for the emulator itself, it's nice, but it doesn't do anything more than what can be done with MESS for free, with the exception of the disk transfer utility which is very cool.

So, from a reality check standpoint, and I think Mike Wright figured this out, very few people were going to buy PC99w by itself, so he had to bundle it with the Cyc. He also reduced the price substantially to make it more palatable.

That said, I do not have the time to go and get a money order to pay for this, and it's frankly medieval to require such an antiquated payment method to start with. Why not use Paypal or Google Wallet and charge a service fee? Or let Arcadeshopper sell the package for him at a reasonable markup? Go figure...

I have wanted to impulse buy the Cyc for a while, and found after their announcement of the $800 emulator board, they actually have the PC99-Suite w/The Cyc available for immediate purchase via credit card.

HOWEVER: I had massive trouble with the digital download feature.

1st: the download halted after about 5 minutes, being cut-off. This interval turned out to be fairly random.

2nd: supposed to be able to download for 7 days... but there is no way to go back to the store site and login with the account that your just created, or see your orders...

3rd: there was no email confirmation of the order... no emailed link to the download...

4th: they do have a web-form to email them, but after a couple weeks there still has been no response.

The order confirmation page did have the download link on it... even though leading up to that the text said you'd be emailed the download information.

I was able to acquire that link from my browser history, and feed it into 'wget' with resume features on, and complete a download.

5 - the download was corrupt. Fails zip checks for several files.

I was able to download 3 versions of the .zip, each corrupt for different sets of files, so I pieced together 1 supposedly good set of files...

I have sent them this information via their webform, but still no response...

-- I will say the Cyc represents a lot of time and effort. All searchable PDFs... The only thing I don't appreciate is the 'Editor's comments' inserted into the documents.

Maybe if someone here has actual contact with them, they can pass these concerns along.

I would be very concerned to download firmware for the emulator board that is corrupted.

-M@

jedimatt

I have also purchased this a while back, and have also struggled to get it downloaded. I ended up with a text file, and using notepad++ could find the download link in there.

If you subscribe to their Yahoo group, you will get all the update links.

I have actually been planning to purchase it foe a while, and only did so when it became financially feasible.

Link to the group is: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PC99W/info.

The cyc is a wealth of info.

Overall I am very glad I purchased it.

They will also mail you a physical copy of the software. I just received (about a week ago) the copy I purchased from them at the Chicago Faire this year. I was expecting that delay as they were traveling for much of the month of November. In general, they are responsive, so if you've sent them a request, I would expect you will receive an answer soon.

• Like 1

"-- I will say the Cyc represents a lot of time and effort. All searchable PDFs... The only thing I don't appreciate is the 'Editor's comments' inserted into the documents. "

Hi there. As one of the contributing editors (of UK TIMES issues) I am responsible for adding my own clarifications, due to many references being a total puzzle to overseas readers, and background events, people, companies etc having faded away into obscurity.... you will see my insertions marked sjs.

I actually welcome Mike's brief explanations and insertions, as there are some US centric things, and some background info that I'm not up to speed with. I'm not sure I can follow "don't appreciate" too well, sorry. Skip over them. Easy! :-)

It is a major strength of the Cyc that where eg a user group posts a correction to a program- which nobody can later find as the original erroneous program is copied and recopied! - in the Cyc the correction is made in place, and known errors are not broadcast for ever and a day. Big plus.

The credit card side is I believe dealt with by the pc99w developer, who was also at Chicago, and there will be an inbuilt delay as messages are passed around. As noted, Mike was touring before/after Chicago but is now back home. There may be moves in hand to improve the downloading side- I'll check.

The inclusion of the pc99w suite in the Cyc satisfies a contractual requirement imposed by TI when Mike - some years ago now- obtained consent to legally include the TI materials, modules, manuals etc. TI are now in a state that they have NO records of their dealings with Mike!

Have a good holiday. Stephen

Well, I had no problems downloading the latest update to PC99 and the CYC and I have at times access issues caused from AT&T as I am pretty rural. As already mentioned, Mike was traveling in November and had previously communicated he would have minimal to no email access during that time.

I would ask people to be a bit patient with Mike as if you met him this year at the Chicago Fair, you would understand. I do not know anything about his personal health, but his eyesight is extremely poor to the point he needed assistance to identify things on the monitor screen.

As far as the PC99 group mentioned above, the link was not supposed to be posted as I recall. Only if you have purchased PC99 and the CYC can you get membership to that specific group. Just saying in the event someone tries to join the group and gets turned down.

As far as the Cadd 99/5C, I've got mine. It is a nice product and I have been suggesting some changes to Eric as far as the setup interface. I have pulled up Funnelweb 80 columns, played some with the IDE hard drive system, and tested the 1 MB SAMS system without issue. As I was not a very avid PC99 user in the past, I have to figure out how to convert some DSK images into the PC99 DSK image format. Any suggestions there would be welcome.

There is a file transfer utility that allows one to move files from/to the 99/5C from a Windows system. I bought a straight through 9 pin to 9 pin cable for that interface. Now, as far as the use of a mouse or gamepad, there are some very specific devices Cadd / Eric Firestone presently recommends. The Gamepad I am using is a Logitech F310 that has a switch to enable more of the most current Windows USB features or a switch to use a more generic configuration. At present, the more generic configuration is what I am using. The recommended mouse is a Logitech M100. I had plugged a different mouse in and while it was useable, it did not have the necessary sensitivity one would expect. Fortunately, Eric chose a mouse and gamepad that are readily available an inexpensive.

That's it for now.

Beery

• Like 1

As I was not a very avid PC99 user in the past, I have to figure out how to convert some DSK images into the PC99 DSK image format. Any suggestions there would be welcome.

Again, TIImageTool. Create a Track Dump Format disk and copy all desired files on that disk, which will give you a PC99-compatible image.

The yahoo group is not mentioned on their website, and therefore doesn't exist as far as a consumer of their shop is aware. I haven't succeeded at downloading it, and so I can't be expected to know the yahoo forum even exists, unless they expected to email in response to the purchase. That hasn't happened.

I only posted hear because I have no way of contacting them outside the web-form. I'm just hoping that someone in more frequent contact might alert them that things need attention. That's all.

The digital download terms of purchase are that I've had 7 days to get it downloaded... I tried from my employer's network, and from my home network. The 7 days has expired, so under the terms, I'm SOL.

I have pieced together the file from 3 corrupt downloads. So I have it. But not officially. For now, yes, I'd recommend a physical delivery to anyone else looking at downloading the PC99Suite.

-M@

Thanks.jedimatt42

Sorry you are having difficulties, it is most frustrating when this happens. As indicated supply on DVD is available- and personally I always take that option when available for huge files, although I have been downloading TheCyc every six months or so via ftp, (the full set of files) so far with no problems at all- updates are available at really low cost. My broadband is currently reliable at 8 MbS.

Unpacking the zip can be laborious but my ancient system gets there in the end. I usually unpack smallish bits at a time manually but that is a personal choice.

There are lots of reasons why a huge download can hiccup, either somewhere (anywhere) in the network chain, or sometimes the server may have a timer cut off which a poor connection can lose. The server should be set to have resume enabled but that also depends upon your own client. Corruption could also be either end - (but I confirm the actual files are not corrupt) - including resuming from an incorrect point. File corruption is quite rare.

I have advised Mike of the problems and he is passing details on to Eric.

The website gives the following contact information:

CaDD Electronics 6868 Garber Rd Dayton, OH 45415
(937)479-6902

Mike thought there was an email address but Eric seems to be relying on the web form- I haven't had great experience with web forms myself! I will raise this difficulty.

It is unfortunate that all of CaDD was at Chicago leading to a backlog.

I never use Yahoo groups myself. I am sure Mike does not use them himself (has he posted there recently?)

If you would like me to pass on your email address to Mike please send me a forum message.

I am sure your problems WILL be sorted and will keep in touch, although I may be away for a seasonal week or so myself.

best wishes Stephen

The yahoo group is not mentioned on their website, and therefore doesn't exist as far as a consumer of their shop is aware. I haven't succeeded at downloading it, and so I can't be expected to know the yahoo forum even exists, unless they expected to email in response to the purchase. That hasn't happened.

I only posted hear because I have no way of contacting them outside the web-form. I'm just hoping that someone in more frequent contact might alert them that things need attention. That's all.

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 10/29/2016 at 1:35 PM, blackbox said:

Heads up- available from 1st November 2016-

The TI-99/4a emulator pc99 from CaDD is making the big jump to Windows (XP up to 10 excluding the rarities) on 1st November.

Now issued on USB stick or DVD it is being sold COMPLETE with a full set of files from The Cyc - a huge encyclopedia of TI magazines and programs. Price on dvd of US$49, with discounts for existing owners of the dos version, which is also on the supply media.

So- on one dvd, pc99w, pc99dos and The Cyc. And some utilities. Check out www.cadd99.com for information and ordering.

TI programs work at a very satisfying speed.

regards Stephen (who has been supplying magazine and documentation scans to The Cyc)

I tried to order that PC99 Suite that includes The Cyc but it said that there is no payment method available for my address.  How do I pay for that?

cadd99.com is no longer valid domain name. I had to google it and found it at different domain name. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

frankly, this has always been the case, they never accepted online payments you had to mail them a check.. I have ordered copies of this in the past for people who couldn't send $

frankly it's more trouble than its worth for the emulator, cyc may be worth it. but it's hard to justify the hoops required to chase them down and take your money when they could just set up a online cart or use my store or something modern

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

@arcadeshopper Does the Cyc get enough traffic to "stock" it in your store?  I have been interested for a while, but sending alternate payment has not been tenable.

no idea, but I can try and see if they would be interested, worst case I can use bill pay to pay for it and get it in and reship it for a reasonable fee 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

no idea, but I can try and see if they would be interested, worst case I can use bill pay to pay for it and get it in and reship it for a reasonable fee 

Is there a physical component?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I was thinking it is a download, but it is a CD or DVD...

Last time in 2017  I ordered it  (with help of Greg) on the USA local order payment terms,

as i could not do it from overseas).

Mike and Eric's  help was excellent on the installation and updates  (not sure if there is a later one, this is what I have below):

CaDD Electronics <caddelectronics@comcast.net>

The physical component can be a USB Flash drive when ordering from CADD99 

Then they will sent also a FTP.PDF  file  to download an update (if it is not on the USB stick)

I run this version

CaDD PC99 Suite
pc99w
TI-99/4A Emulator for Windows
(c) CaDD Electronics. 1985-2016
All rights reserved
Version 122820161327491  (of the installed PC99, see screenshot at the end)

and this is what the FTP document indicates as version:

image.thumb.png.6bc1663ff4b88af938b68e4c7040130b.png

(on Windows 11, 64-bit)

Edition    Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎11/‎20/‎2022
OS build    22621.1848
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

image.thumb.png.a800110fae2aeae2f9159a123b9b6275.png

image.thumb.png.f8e80397a4f2742f20113c8e23985449.png

image.thumb.png.50bffcf9f4db90e30e20642ee7d78e8b.png

image.thumb.png.a493a53173d443a95b9d63e28f536f11.png

image.thumb.png.4e76de2abd70530b1ed1e00817eee443.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FSword7 said:

I tried to order that PC99 Suite that includes The Cyc but it said that there is no payment method available for my address.  How do I pay for that?

cadd99.com is no longer valid domain name. I had to google it and found it at different domain name. 

Tim

https://caddelectronics.com/cadd-pc99-suite-overview-and-installation/

Updated 20190222

(I guess I have the latest PC99 version running, see post above, but if someone has a newer version let me know)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

that would be nice. I lost my CYC several years ago and been wanting to replace it but was hesitant ordering a new one as as they are so hard to get a hold of.