IGNORED

Incredible Craigslist find!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the Bernoulli box would ever work with the Model III? I'm guessing they even had special ISA interface cards for PCs which I didn't get with this one. I opened the case and the drives do appear identical in size to the 8" floppy drives which may go in there one day...pretty sure the aftermarket controller I have in my III will support them. I did give all the cartridges away with some other stuff such as the tandy notebooks to another local collector. They were going to take up tons of space and I honestly doubt I'd ever do anything with them.

Quick update:

I sorted through all the 8" disks. None appear to have any mold at all on the media surface and many are brand new. I have about 130 of them.

5¼ DSDD about 700 including oem software, used and many sealed new...I think I'm set for life. :) Many DSHD and hundreds of new 3.5" disks also.

When I get more time I'll put up some good pics of that Cromemco controller kit and scan the manual. It even has a built in speaker and components for an internal amp. It would make a killer Vectrex controller!

Two of the Model 100s became parts machines due to defective LCD glass. The others just needed the zebra strip contact areas cleaned and are pixel perfect now. Including 2 from an earlier CL find (also free) I now have 5 in perfect shape and all 32K. The Tandy 200 is really nice too.

Just started going through the IBM P70 systems. I'm now glad I took them as they are just so cool. They work perfect except for the 3.5" floppy drives in each of them. A bit of research shows they're junk...caps are failure prone and the heads often fail due to dirt getting inside because they face up. Cleaning didn't help and I don't feel like replacing caps just to find out the heads are shot.

I ordered a new Memorex drive off Amazon for $6.50 (including shipping) and it turned out to be a perfect fit in the shell. Only difference is the eject button is white instead of blue. Of course I had to modify a new cable because the oem has a proprietary drive with a 34 pin connector that also receives power. Just need to order another drive for the other P70 and do the same.

Added bonus...both have monster AOX MCMASTER micro-channel cards that upgrade them from 386 to 486, 486 math co-processor and a whopping 64mb of memory. Biggest regret is not taking all the P70s as I can't help but think they may have all had the AOX cards in them...and I'm guessing they're worth a few bucks these days.