IGNORED

800XL replacement parts - keyboard mylar, cart socket

Neo-Rio

Just wondering if it's possible to get replacement keyboard mylars for the 800XL

I was just pulling apart my 800XL keyboard to clean it.... oh boy, so many springs that could possibly be lost.

I figure that if I do it, I only want to do it once - which makes me think that it would be a good time to replace the original mylar.

Anyone know if best electronics have replacement 800XL mylars? If not, I'll ask myself.

Also the cartridge port on this 800XL is having trouble making a connection. Are there replacements I can get to bring it back to as-new functionality?

Best Electronics may still have them. But in my experience 800XL Mylars are pretty good at lasting this long. A good careful cleaning with rubbing alcohol on both sides and it should be ready to go. Unless it has been majorly mistreated, or rats got to it or some thing like that.

About the springs. Taking them out is easy. It is not loosing them while putting the KB back together is the hard part. Do not use a bowl to hold the springs. They will slide together making them hard to separate.

I suggest putting a couple of long strips of tape face up on a table. Put a few strips down to hold it in place, about every 8-10 inches (very important!). As you remove each spring separately, place it on the sticky tape.

Clean the KB, dry it good. I use 409 and a strong plastic brush. Then reassemble one spring at a time.

Good luck

• Like 3

Best Electronics still has some as I bought one last Friday. It arrived on Monday.

I plan on giving the one I replaced a thorough going over...sometime. Lots of dead keys on it.

I did end up contacting Best Electronics. Unfortunately he doesn't have replacement 800XL mylar for that type of keyboard (seems to have replacements for the crappier XE mylars though)

I did ask about perhaps getting a replacement mecahnical keyboard, but he mentioned that if something hard was to hit the keyboard - the PCB underneath could crack.