IGNORED

Sega Resurrects Daytona USA with Daytona 3

Shaggy the Atarian

Sega confirmed today that their next big thing is Daytona 3 Championship USA. I was originally told that the title was Daytona Reloaded but looks like they changed their minds to convey a proper sequel in the series.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2016/11/01/sega-resurrects-daytona-usa-with-daytona-reloaded-arcade/

Yes, but likely years from now. They want it to be exclusive to arcades since apparently there's a feeling there, perhaps fully justified, that home versions take away from the viability of an expensive arcade purchase.

But a few years after production has ended and arcade operators have had a reasonable opportunity to make a decent return on investment, the allure of a home conversion that their fans are constantly calling for will likely prove difficult to resist. Or at least that's how I'm hoping it all plays out. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's been a little while but as an update - the game is out now! Been hearing reports of various arcades in the US and UK getting their hands on it. Among those is FunSpot where they are reportedly getting 8 of them to do a proper tournament network :)

I've been thinking about picking up a pair for my location at some point although at $9000 a piece, that will probably won't be for a while.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2017/06/16/daytona-championship-usa-officially-released-to-arcades/

Cant wait to try it. How do you think it compares to Super GT and Daytona 2?

There is supposed to be a "June update" that fixes an issue with the handling that fans have been complaining about so I'm waiting to try the game with that. It's hard to say if this will set itself apart from GT and D2 since it is a remake although the tournament features are very good, unike anything else I've seen built into an arcade machine. Compared to other racers on today's arcade market (Cruis'n Blast, Maximum Tune 5, Ultra Race, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX), it is filling in a good niche between those games. I just haven't heard earnings reports on it yet to see how players are taking to it.

• Like 1

I played this last weekend at an arcade in Gatlinburg, TN. It seems they removed the "3" from the version I played- it was just Daytona Championship. I also hadn't followed the news about this, so I looked everywhere on the cabinet and in the game for copyright dates, and there were none at all. It's like they want to disguise the age of it. That's fine I guess... :)

My review:

It looked beautiful, but was boring to play. Oval track racing? Come on, isn't Nascar dying from this already? :)

The steering wheel feedback was poor, it seemed like it was based on "notches" and just bumped between the notches. Hard to describe, and it could have been broken.

I ended up playing the latest Cruisin' game more. Maybe just my tastes, though.

Edited by R.Cade

It looked beautiful, but was boring to play. Oval track racing? Come on, isn't Nascar dying from this already? :)

Eh... I don't think it would be much of a "Daytona" game without at least one oval track. I mean, it's not like the Daytona Speedway is, uh, well... an oval track or anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My review:

Well, that's kinda just the series... but it is one reason I never got into it as much as other people. I just think it's cool to see Sega finally bringing back their classics across all platforms, including arcade.

I'm a lot more excited about Outrun 3, though..

• 1 month later...

Sega Says Demand Is Strong For New Daytona Arcade Driver

LONDON -- Sega Amusements International is reporting strong demand for its new Daytona Championship USA video driver. A reboot of the 1994 classic, the arcade racer features new tracks, including the renovated Daytona International Speedway completed in 2016, as well as a trio of fully updated classic courses from the original game. It has a tournament mode and is linkable for up to eight units.

The new Daytona features a 47" high-definition LED screen, a molded under-seat engine, live camera feed and "video billboard" marquee for spectators of the game. It is also equipped with Sega-IQ intelligent service menus, which provide prompts and troubleshooting advice for onsite technicians.

"The demand for Daytona is phenomenal, and we've already shipped a huge number of games and have an even bigger list on back order expected to ship as fast as we can build them," said Sega's Justin Burke. "We have dedicated two factories, in the UK and the U.S., to increase our production output.

http://www.vendingtimes.com/Main/articles/Sega_Says_Demand_Is_Strong_For_New_Daytona_Arcade_10960.aspx

Daytona-Championship-USA-4-Player.jpg

• Like 1