IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in 1 for 800XL ; curious what people's thoughts are on the best way of running the cabling out for the DB9 output? hack the case or something else?

(+Likely a second one if i'm able to get one of my 1200XLs operating in good condition, and get back to the workforce ;-) ).

OK - how would you mount that? modify case? or re-mount/wire the existing monitor connector on board? just curious..

Well yes because you're adding a new connector. You could either just drill a hole or remove the RF modulator, enlarge the existing hole for the RF jack and mount it there.

Basically this is what ApolloBoy was suggesting as an alternative to the D-Sub connector (MD-80SP), or something similar.

MD-80SP.jpg

As was pointed out, could be mounted in the existing hole where the RF modulator output is located. Just need to ream out the hole a bit larger, and drill two small mounting holes next to it. Would be a rather minimal modification to the A8 enclosure. Although it would requiring removing the modulator (no great loss).

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

You recreated GTIA in CPLD so, why not to take sprites ("players") logic, make "ctrl-c, ctrl-v" to have 8 sprites, all 8-pixel wide?

Just because it is a new chip does not mean it can do magic. GTIA gets its data from ANTIC, in particular the P/M graphics. The system follows a fixed DMA slot allocation, and ANTIC simply doesn't have enough DMA slots available to fetch data for more than five players.

• Like 2

http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Gniazdo_monitorowe#VBXE it could be that way. Also, there could be added second audio channel instead second GND.

The DIN13 method is superior and I wish it would become some kind of standard for these things. Pinout is ST-compatible (and one may place a second audio-out on the ST's audio-in pin) and the jack can be mounted directly to the Atari PCB (after removing the RF modulator, grinding away a patch of copper and drilling 13 holes using a template) instead of being screwed to the back of the case. If the RF mod hole is enlarged with skill, the RGB jack looks factory. And video cables become interchangeable... :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 5

Just because it is a new chip does not mean it can do magic. GTIA gets its data from ANTIC, in particular the P/M graphics. The system follows a fixed DMA slot allocation, and ANTIC simply doesn't have enough DMA slots available to fetch data for more than five players.

Ah, ok...

I can't help but notice that the BASIC screenshot has a "POKE 709,156" in it. I guess that is there because by default, the text color is green. Is there a screenshot of the default text color?

I wonder whether this effect will be noticeable in many old programs, who never had to worry about the hue value in that register before.

The DIN13 method is superior and I wish it would become some kind of standard for these things. Pinout is ST-compatible (and one may place a second audio-out on the ST's audio-in pin) and the jack can be mounted directly to the Atari PCB (after removing the RF modulator, grinding away a patch of copper and drilling 13 holes using a template) instead of being screwed to the back of the case. If the RF mod hole is enlarged with skill, the RGB jack looks factory. And video cables become interchangeable... :)

Here is a picture of a DIN-13 built-in into an XEGS by Sleepy:

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7771&p=60752&hilit=VBXE#p60761

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

I have already the final PCB version. The visible jumpers are used for video mode (RGB or YPbPr) and sync mode (interlaced or non-interlaced) selecting. The device automatically detect the color system (NTSC or PAL). As you can see, the device is now called SOPHIA. The most important components are already shipped by the dealers, and I expect them this week. Tests is still ongoing, but soon I'll be able to accept the payments and initiate the production. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

post-26134-0-97810000-1484002601_thumb.jpg

• Like 17