IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

Could you please provide a mapping table between DB9 PINs and SCART PINs?

I would like to use a SCART connector in my ATARI and do not want to break anything...

Would this work :?

oaNLbgy.png

I'm not saying this is correct, so don't hook this up without Robin's approval first. But it seemed logical when I compared it to an example shown in the VBXE installation manual.

- Michael

EDIT: Might need a voltage limiting resistor going to SCART pin-16 since it appears to have an upper limit of 3V. This pin decides if the video is going to be interpreted as Composite (0-0.4V) or RGB (1-3V). Of course I'm assuming that Sophia's pin-6 connection which is called BLANKING is the same as the VBXE's RGB CTRL, which it might very well not be the same.

Edited by mytekcontrols

RGB Scart cable and component RCA cable.

Nice :thumbsup: Looks like I got it pretty much right ;) So you have audio routed to pin-1 on the DB9 connector? Or since it is shown as NC on the original installation document, the A8 audio can be connected to that pin?

- Michael

So you have audio routed to pin-1 on the DB9 connector? Or since it is shown as NC on the original installation document, the A8 audio can be connected to that pin?

- Michael

The ribbon cable from DB9 connector has a spare wire connected to pin1. This wire can be used as audio output.

• Like 1

The ribbon cable from DB9 connector has a spare wire connected to pin1. This wire can be used as audio output.

Got it :thumbsup:

BTW, do you have a spec on the video connector that connects to SOPHIA? On my 1088XEL project I plan to have a connector on-board to bring the signals out on a DIN 13 PCB jack so I'll be fabricating a custom cable to interconnect your board with mine.

The 1088XEL will have this header (or similar) connected to the DIN 13...

2x5-pin-shrouded-header-02.jpg

And will have a ribbon cable going from that over to your board, and just needs the mating connector to that side of things. I'm not familiar with the connector you used, do you have a manufacturer and part number for that mating part?

- Michael

• Like 1

RGB Scart cable and component RCA cable.

Pardon my ignorance, but is audio coming out/into the DS9 as well? I thought audio was separate or not part of this mod. My 5200 system already has an RCA mod I was planning to have a custom cable video/RGB coming from the DS9 and the audio from a separate R&L output of the RCA I already have, with SCART on the opposite end.

Appreciate clarification. Thanks

Good news: assembly of all boards completed.

Bad news: another production series of CPLD has revealed some problem with P/M graphics. I have to fix it before shipping. It may take a few days, so the shipping will be delayed presumably to the next week.

post-26134-0-98744600-1486491146_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good news: assembly of all boards completed.

Bad news: another production series of CPLD has revealed some problem with P/M graphics. I have to fix it before shipping. It may take a few days, so the shipping will be delayed presumably to the next week.

Speaking for myself only, take all the time you need to get things working correctly since I don't plan on buying a CPLD programmer anytime soon ;)

I love seeing a pile of assembled boards :thumbsup: :D

- Michael

• Like 2

I'm going to do some Super IRG experiments which take advantage of the new features of this device ... specifically the independently programmable COLPF1 in Graphics 0, and the 16 step luminances. It should be possible to dramatically reduce the flickering in these modes if you blend using the 16 step luminances. I don't have the device available, so I will be relying on others to test this for me. The key is how well it will look in PAL, without frameblending.

• Like 2

I've seen on a video that default READY prompt is not white but greenish, to show that two colors are now available.

I would prefer standard white color READY.

The problem is that the value in COLPF1 (D017/709) is 202, which is just that colour. So blame the Atari engineers that they did not set that to 154, which would correspond to what you actually see on the screen.

• Like 2