IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

$D01D. But it was written that there's no way to detect the hardware, so I can't see how software is supposed to know bits 3/4 of $D01D do anything. Unless the device is 100 per cent passive, there should be a means of establishing its presence (unless there is and I missed it).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sophia connected to Atari SC1224 'ST' RGB Monitor

Live picture 1088XEL in PAL Mode

HCMxGRn.jpg

This will not work from a standard Sophia board, since the SC1224 Monitor requires higher level signals than VGA (or likely other RGB monitors). The Sophia only puts out 0.75 volt RGB and CSYNC when set to RGB mode (at least my Sophia running the 'B' core did). The SC1224 requires 1 volt RGB and close to logic level CSYNC. So the first thing I did was change a resistor on the Sophia board to increase the video output from the ADV7125 Triple High-Speed Video DAC chip.

Increase Video Output Level Mod (opps I see there is an extra '2' shown for the monitor part number :P )

2lDYj23.png

Next we need a buffered logic level CSYNC to substitute for Sophia's low level one, so we'll steal that from the CD4050 chip on the A8.

TQVf0Nw.jpg

And assuming all the Mods were done correctly you should now see a beautiful full color display on the SC1224 Monitor coming from your Sophia upgraded A8. And depending upon what video mode you use on your A8 (NTSC or PAL), you might need to tweak some of the back panel controls for V and H Hold, and possibly Vertical Position and Height, as well as Horizontal Position. I have only tested this on the 'JVC' version of the SC1224, so I have no idea if it'll work correctly on either the Goldstar or the Samsung models.

Disclaimer: This Mod is done at your own risk, will probably violate any warranty you may have, and is not endorsed what-so-ever by Simius (creator of the Sophia board).

- Michael

Hi, which pin does Sofia RGB use for Audio? I assume its pint 1 looking at the plug, Do all Revs of the board use the above pin outs? I'm trying to figure out how to wire up a SCART cable for it as my board did not arrive with the cable or any docs...

Hi Simius, my Sofia is installed and up and running. I have mounted the DB9 successfully in the bottom case, I do have a couple of questions:

1. I'm starting the SCART cable tonight, in your wiring diagram it shows you are also passing through Composite Video. Is this required as well as the RGB? I'm concerned my HDMI converter will pick up the Composite video instead.

2. When installing the Sofia it sits high with the GTIA piggy backed on it and couldn't re-fit the top shield to the XL, is this safe and expected?

1. It is required, because RGB signals don't contain the sync component. But it isn't the Composite Video signal. The Sophia board don't produce such signal. Your HDMI converter is safe from this. :)

2. It is expected and safe. But if you are determined to re-fit a shield, you can cut a hole in it.

1. It is required, because RGB signals don't contain the sync component. But it isn't the Composite Video signal. The Sophia board don't produce such signal. Your HDMI converter is safe from this. :)

2. It is expected and safe. But if you are determined to re-fit a shield, you can cut a hole in it.

Thanks, I actually figured it would be sync and happy to report I have successfully got beautiful RGB out from my XL very pleased, thanks Simius!

Behold my Gyrus running at SCART to 1080p HDMI... :) :thumbsup:

post-61762-0-66152100-1505718608_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simius,

I was just able to put aside some time to install the Sophia board into my Atari 5200. I order it way back in February! I have a few questions:

1. Is there online documentation for this product? All that I've found is the Sophia_RevB_Settings.pdf which only shows the pinout and jumper settings.

2. The palette seems wrong. The first game I played was Pac-Man and the dots look lime green – not yellow.

I think you posted a revised firmware that corrects this, but I don't have the adapter to reprogram it. Is there a way to make my own? I was able to do this for Tim's NESRGB board, but again, I can't find any documentation regarding which pin is which for the programmer. I'd prefer to do this rather than wait for the part to arrive.

3. Where can I tap the 5200's board for audio?

4. I have an Extron Crosspoint and it requires clean sync. Is this what your board generates or is sync actually composite video? If its the later, can I install a LM1881 chip?

Thank you!

1. It is all what the user needs. What else should be?

2. The palettes were changed in later versions. You can update it. Pinout of the programing socket is attached.

3. Mark red circle on the attached picture.

4. The sync signal is generated by CPLD. It is clean.

post-26134-0-65479900-1506853930_thumb.jpg

post-26134-0-82741700-1506853936.jpg

Hi Simius,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Please see below:

1. It is all what the user needs. What else should be?

If you're open to suggestions I would say to include that diagram, the audio solder points for the 5200 or computer, and information on the firmware update procedure in a PDF (or small webpage) outlining that process. It would just make things easier for people that don't follow the progress of the Sophia board closely.

2. The palettes were changed in later versions. You can update it. Pinout of the programing socket is attached.

3. Mark red circle on the attached picture.

Perfect, thank you!

4. The sync signal is generated by CPLD. It is clean.

The sync signal is giving me some problems on a monitor that I own: a Sony GVM-2020. This monitor's RGB INPUT 1 is a switchable analog/digital 9-pin DIN. Analog RGB is spec'd at 0.7 Vp-p, 75ohm terminated, while digital is TTL. Here is a document with the monitor's specifications:
Oddly, component does work with this input, but the color are obviously wrong.
Could you please advise?
Thanks again!
Edited by philexile

• 2 weeks later...

I just used a vice with soft jaws (aluminum or copper angle works well for this). Just make sure that you don't clamp over the area with the small pin sticking out. But how ever you do it, it's best to start the crimp process with just your bare hands, and only when everything looks to be lined up properly finish off with the vice.

- Michael

A (very late) thank you and follow-up.

I was able to fairly easily crimp the connector onto my USB-Blaster cable. And after a little bit of work trying to figure out how to use Quartus Prime (and wrangling to find the correct drivers for Windows 10 !), I successfully updated the firmware on both of my Sophia boards to 1.3. Finally my colors are correct! :-D

So...is there much value updating to the 1.4 firmware, or was this to address the unique issues mentioned in post #717?

Thanks again Michael and Simius!

post-47471-0-21589400-1508043057.jpg

• Like 2

This is the Sophia Rev.C board with the DVI output.

By the way...is the Rev C board still coming?

While I'm using Sophia with my Commodore 1084S and TV via component, DVI output would be my holy grail which would allow me to use several of my older monitors. Definitely down for one or two.

• Like 2

The Sophia Rev.C board is ready. The picture quality is like on the emulator, but taking an adequate photo is very hard. The attached picture is the best I've managed to do.

The output resolution is 1536x960 pixels (16:10 aspect ratio, 4:1 scaling). The monitor has to support such resolution with 60Hz (NTSC) or 50Hz (PAL) refresh rate.

post-26134-0-58876600-1508677641_thumb.jpg

post-26134-0-07524400-1508679986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simius
  • Like 13

The Sophia Rev.C board is ready. The picture quality is like on the emulator, but taking an adequate photo is very hard. The attached picture is the best I've managed to do.

The output resolution is 1536x960 pixels (16:10 aspect ratio, 4:1 scaling). The monitor has to support such resolution with 60Hz (NTSC) or 50Hz (PAL) refresh rate.

- Any chance that you'll change your mind and support the GTIA (GRAPHICS 10) colour clock pixel shift?

- I guess when going the DVI route, PAL blending is out of question?

• Like 1