IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

Do you have any other ideas as to what may have happened? Can you take a second look at the pics I posted for possible errors? I know there are a few here who made homemade SCARTS. If anyone has any ideas as to what went wrong, please let me know.

I think I get what's happening now. I know you posted that I have Rev. B, but as you can see I was somehow sent Rev. A, despite only ordering in November. The cable that I ordered was wired for Rev. B. :(

Edit: Just saw your comment. I'll rewire it, it just seems like some wires need to be switched.

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 1

I just recently found out about this upgrade. It looks awesome.

I do have a question:

The initial version was RGB, the latest supports DVI. Does the latest version support both RGB and DVI ?

If it does, is simply a different cable used depending on if you want RGB vs DVI ?

Also, if it does, are the analog RGB signals wired to the DVI analog RGB connectors so that it could be used with a DVI to VGA adapter ?

I'd like to get 2 (or more) of these (either an RGB unit and a DVI unit, or a combined unit with both cables, or if the latest DVI unit carries RGB on the DVI port, just 2 units with the DVI cables). I tried PM'ing but it said the user was not receiving PMs currently.

Has anyone successfully upgraded their Sofia to the latest code so they get the right text colour?

I can't get the Quartus software (16. Something, which seems really flakey) and my USB Blaster to work at all.

If there is anyone in the U.K. that has done if would you offer to do mine if I posted it?

Hi everyone,

I read that Sophia RGB board was compatible with the Atari 5200 console.

I will soon receive a 5200 from the US, and if the installation is possible, I would like to buy a board.

What revision is the good one? Is there a manual or a tutorial for the installation?

Are there any specificities compared to installing in an Atari computer?

For exemple, I would like to know where to take the audio on the 5200 motherboard?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me the answers to my questions.

I must admit that I was a little bit lazy and did not have the courage to read the 38 pages of the thread. ;)

If you have Sophia boards available, I would like to buy one.

You can PM me.

Thanks

Has anyone successfully upgraded their Sofia to the latest code so they get the right text colour?

I can't get the Quartus software (16. Something, which seems really flakey) and my USB Blaster to work at all.

What is the issue you are having? Doesn't see the USB blaster? If so you can try unplugging other USB devices, it conflicts with FTDI serial adaptors (as used in SIO2PC setups for example).

What is the issue you are having? Doesn't see the USB blaster? If so you can try unplugging other USB devices, it conflicts with FTDI serial adaptors (as used in SIO2PC setups for example).

Basically the software would supposedly see the USB Blaster but any attempt to use it would either hang the software for ages or I'd get a BSoD (the only time I've ever seen it on Windows 10). It's interesting about the FTDI conflicts as I do have an AtariMax SIO2USB plugged in so I'll try unplugging that and see if it helps.

Also keep in mind that your Sophia board needs to be installed and powered up if you are trying to reprogram it with the USB Blaster.

Yeah it's in my 800XL which is powered on.

• 2 weeks later...

So i received my 2 RGB boards last week, one for my 5200 and one for my 800XL, I was initially going to use the db9 output, but the cables I purchased from Retro Access ended up being for a different revision and did not work and since both of my systems were already modded for svideo, I decided to cut the db9 connector and use an 8 pin minidin instead so I would not have to make any additional holes in either case. I'll rewire the cables down the road sometime.

In my 5200 I just stacked two pin headers in the GTIA slot to clear the chip in front of it, in my 800XL I unsoldered the GTIA pin header and used the one that was provided plus I unsoldered the chip in front of it and soldered it directly to the board without its header for clearance.

Have them hooked up to my OSSC, both work great really happy :grin: :grin:

Great news, everyone. After providing Cool Novelties with the proper information and wiring diagrams, they now offer Sophia RGB SCART cables for both Rev. A and Rev. B! Enjoy!

Rev. A

Rev. B

This has got me thinking.

It would be great to connect one of my XEs to an Atari SC1224 monitor to “keep it in the family”.

I’ll have to look into this option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This has got me thinking.

It would be great to connect one of my XEs to an Atari SC1224 monitor to “keep it in the family”.

I’ll have to look into this option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but those cables are not what you need to interface to the DIN-13 connection on an SC1224.

• 4 weeks later...

OK I'm puzzled. What is the correct pin-out of the DB9 on a RGB Rev. B board ?

The one I found earlier in the thread seems to lack the sound signal.

Also...would it be possible to "sacrifice" another pin to add the second sound of a Stereo POKEY board ?

Edited by Level42