IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

So I left idea with YUV (YPbPr) and made SCART cable with RGB.

The picture quality is excellent too. And no jumping or artefacts.

But I see that picture is allignet to left edge of TV screen. It is normal?

TV is set to Aspect 16:9. On other settings is ot the same. Only 4:3 added wide strip, which move left edge a bit to center.

Did you power the Atari off between puttting the jumper on and off ? I bet the jumper is only read at boot-up but Simius can answer that.

For RGB connecting to a CRT on a Rev.A board you need to open the jumper of interlace. I had it on at first and the display looked OK to me, first tried DK cartridge then Blue Max, wit Blue Max it was really very clear that it was jumping between lines due to the scrolling.

Now, my B&O TVs have something quite special and they can actually display interlaced video but...is there an advantage between interlaced and non-interlaced ?

post-65300-0-47282700-1532277295_thumb.jpeg

I thought so, but in 4:3 mode is distance from left side still smaller than on the right side...

Shouldnt I something set anywhere?

Yep. Time to read the user manual of your TV :)

(Or the Service Manual)

BTW, Ive noticed on the various CRTs i have connected recently that the A8 picture is more toward the left of the screen on all those TVs. No way that all these TVs have the wrong settings from the factory.

Probably an A8 issue..you picture seems to confirm it....

Edited by Level42

Not so much the A8, mines centered in 4:3, though not using sophia... however, the main field slightly left, the letters 2 character to the right would allow for the off chance you couldn't see all the text on a television of terrible specs that might have existed before the Atari was created.... I've never liked that it was done. it is what it is... I've never seen a television even back in the early 80's that wasn't adjustable inside or out the fit the whole screen without issue...

• Like 2

I started reading this thread because it was discussing an enhanced GTIA chip that added more colors in some some of the GTIA modes, However, the discussion quickly turned into what video outputs should be supported.

Wanting to get to the good stuff, I jumped to the end of the thread only to see that people seemed to be discussing aspect ratios and output modes. I scanned back a few pages and saw some discussions of the Sophia board which is, to the best of my knowledge, just an RGB mod. Not to knock RGB mods, but there have been RGB mods since the early days including one I did to my 800XL back in the eighties. However, I would have killed for a video upgrade that would get a true 256 color mode.

So, not wanting to read 41 pages of RGB output discussion, can somebody tell me if the GTIA enhancement IS the Sophia board or did this thread morph over the years? If so, does the Sophia actually give you more color modes, or just more colors in existing modes?

• Like 2

If so, does the Sophia actually give you more color modes, or just more colors in existing modes?

Color modes are the same. The Sophia board gives you one color more in hi-res graphic and 256-color palette in all modes.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I thought so, but in 4:3 mode is distance from left side still smaller than on the right side...

Well this is funny, I have connected my 600XL to several different TVs [5] and they all show the blue box left from the center.

I can fix this in the service mode of the TVs but if I have to adjust all the TVs to my 600XL than the TVs are lined out correctly, and the Atari is not.

Not sure if this is an Atari thing, or a Sophia thing, but I think Atari.....

Edited by Level42

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[...]I'm using Sophia with my Commodore 1084S[...]

Hi there. No problems with 1084? Which revision of Sophia is it and what exact monitor model? Does it work in Analog or Digital TTL mode?

I cannot make Sophia Rev. B work with my European C=1084S-D1, although it works just fine with my C=1085 using the very same DB9-DB9 cable. See pictures. - top one is C=1084S-D1, bottom one is C=1085.

Could you post your pin-out between Sophia's micro-match socket and C=1084's DB9? I assume you had to replace the micro-match-to-DB9 ribbon that came with your Sophia from Simius with a DIY one?

Regards.

post-29260-0-75594800-1549055423_thumb.jpg

post-29260-0-47947400-1549055431_thumb.jpg

Edited by uicr0Bee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Fitted a RevB Sophia to my 800XL today, really rather pleased with the results (running on a 20" BVM). Toying with putting a DVI one into my XE now... No real issues to fit, though I did have to remove a socket and solder a chip directly to the board to clear it and cutting square holes into vintage computers is always a worry. As for what else is going on in there, there's the ubiquitous U1M, a dual pokey with 3.5mm jack in the place where the modulator out was) and some s-video mods that while surprisingly good, aren't as good as the Sophia.

Click the pics for embiggenment.

post-49282-0-26149300-1559245506_thumb.jpg

post-49282-0-37737300-1559245516_thumb.jpg

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 4