IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

A direct comparison for you, which I've tried to make as fair as possible. This is on my 13" PVM that this machine actually lives on, it's the modded S-Video out of the 800 vs the Sophia RGB.

FWIW, it looks really good in person on using both, taking photos' of a CRT is difficult.

Again, click 'em to see them properly.

post-49282-0-47841000-1559281518_thumb.jpg

post-49282-0-72584500-1559281528_thumb.jpg

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 3

A direct comparison for you, which I've tried to make as fair as possible. This is on my 13" PVM that this machine actually lives on, it's the modded S-Video out of the 800 vs the Sophia RGB.

FWIW, it looks really good in person on using both, taking photos' of a CRT is difficult.

Again, click 'em to see them properly.

Just an info... these are screenshots using PAL. When publishing such pictures, it´s always good to mention which TV system is used, otherwise the not-so-experienced users are searching for issues, where no issues are ;)

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Sorry, I haven't read all 42 pages.  ?

But what's the difference between this and the Sophia board?  How do we know which to choose?

I have a 24" HDMI / DVI / VGA Acer monitor that I think would be perfect.  Although it's wide-screen.

Thanks for any tips.

The original Sophia, which is what this topic is about, is an RGB/component video solution. The other one which is also called Sophia (rev C?) is a DVI only solution.

The RGB Sophia produces a 15Khz based video timing, so you have to have a monitor that supports that.

5 minutes ago, cbmeeks said:

AH!  Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like I would need the DVI solution then.

I am working on a VGA solution that takes the Sophia RGB (or VBXE) as a source signal, but that is much more involved than just getting the DVI version. But be aware that the DVI won't always work out of the box with all monitors, so be prepared to maybe have to flash an alternative core.

• Like 2

I have the F18a for my TI-99/4A and it was one of the best investments I ever made in retro computing.  The VGA signal is so amazing.  So when I learned of a CPLD version for the A8 that could possibly do the same thing (or, technically better since it's digital vs. analog), I was really excited.

I've read that there are some issues with monitors.  I've also done some light weight FPGA and CPLD work so flashing new cores would be fine by me.  In fact, seems like the author could put the cores (even binary files) online so people could just flash them directly if they knew how.  I've sent a PM for pricing information.  ?

Anyway, can you tell us about your project?  Perhaps a new thread would be better as to not hijack this one.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
10 minutes ago, GadgetUK said:

I would like to purchase one of these - is there a shop online selling them?

Search for Sophia 2  pre order thread on these forums.

Currently unavailable due to global chip shortage , expected to be available March 2022 iirc

Just now, mimo said:

Search for Sophia 2  pre order thread on these forums.

Currently unavailable due to global chip shortage , expected to be available March 2022 iirc

Thanks!  Bah, I can't wait that long unfortunately.  It's for a repair, for a friend.  I was happy to fit a Sophia to get around the problem of not being able to find a PAL GTIA, but it might be quicker and easier to find a GTIA.

• 10 months later...

Hej Atarians,

I have a Sophia Rev.B RGB at hand. It was installed to a 1200XL and connected to a Commodore 1084s. The picture syncs stable with either, CSYNC from Sophia or Pin12 of the CD4050 chip.

But i only get red text on black. I don't know what firmware is installed and no matter what i try on the pinout, its only the red text that gets displayed. At least that is very sharp.

I'm open and thankful to any hint.

Greets,

Beetle

• 1 month later...