IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

Thank you Simius for the firmware download. I'll give that a try today and report back on how things look. Hopefully this is the one that incorporates the corrected NTSC palette, because unless I missed it, I don't know if this is selectable between PAL and NTSC. So after I get my board reprogrammed there may be a few questions pertaining to this.

Thanks again for responding to my request :)

- Michael

Michael, it is my understanding switching between PAL and NTSC will be automatic after updating:

I managed to implement both PAL and NTSC palettes (see attachment) that will automatically adapt to the current system.

Edited by Almerian
  • Like 3

Thank you Simius for the firmware download. I'll give that a try today and report back on how things look. Hopefully this is the one that incorporates the corrected NTSC palette, because unless I missed it, I don't know if this is selectable between PAL and NTSC. So after I get my board reprogrammed there may be a few questions pertaining to this.

Thanks again for responding to my request :)

- Michael

Hi Michael-

Have you made a "permanent" installation in an XL or XE? If so, could you post a picture or two -- I'm not quite sure of a very good way to go from the Db 9 connector to the component hookup.

Thanks,

Larry

Have you made a "permanent" installation in an XL or XE? If so, could you post a picture or two -- I'm not quite sure of a very good way to go from the Db 9 connector to the component hookup.

I won't be installing mine in either an XL or XE, because it's destined for my XEL prototype. However I will be supporting the plug that Simius includes with Sophia (as well as a DIN 13), so the test cable I made should still apply to your situation. Now don't laugh too much when you see this, because this is only a 'temporary' cable I made up for testing, and I plan to get a component cable with smaller coax in order to fit inside a D shell.

Ms05Vwj.jpg

- Michael

• Like 3

Thanks, I just need to get a connector sorted out. Not sure who sells those in the UK, will have a look on eBay later.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/page-18?do=findComment&comment=3728309

Be sure to get this one and not the one I mentioned a post earlier, because that is the wrong one. Grrr, at first I ordered two of the wrong ones :) They come from the UK by the way.

• Like 1

After reprogramming, I'm very happy now :thumbsup::)

UAV-to-SVideo on the Left Monitor, and Sophia-to-Component on the Right Monitor

doBILGb.jpg

It took a little while for me to get the Altera programming app loaded and running, and I also had to find the driver for the USB Blaster and get that installed as well. And then the last hurtle was figuring out that the Sophia needed to be powered in order for the programmer to see it (seems obvious now, but at the time I had this silly idea that the programmer would also provide the power for the chip).

So now I love my Sophia :)

Thank you so very much Simius, it looks like this will now be a must have for people seeking extremely clean video with pure colors and no bleed between colors (notice the transition between each bar in the color bar test).

- Michael

• Like 2

Michael, did the firmware update also get the previously "black screen" displays corrected? Presume that is the case, but not sure...

-Larry

I haven't tried that, and assumed that was an Atari issue (incompatible video format), not a Sophia issue. Although Simius had talked about a possibility, but had also seemingly written that off for other problems that might cause. But I can certainly change monitors and see if it works now, but I kinda doubt that it will.

- Michael

I haven't tried that, and assumed that was an Atari issue (incompatible video format), not a Sophia issue. Although Simius had talked about a possibility, but had also seemingly written that off for other problems that might cause. But I can certainly change monitors and see if it works now, but I kinda doubt that it will.

- Michael

Re-tested on all my monitors. The black screen problem on two of my monitors remains unchanged (at least on the ones that I have... Insignia and Element). But remember this is an Atari issue and not in any way the fault of Sophia.

- Michael

After reprogramming, I'm very happy now :thumbsup::)

UAV-to-SVideo on the Left Monitor, and Sophia-to-Component on the Right Monitor

doBILGb.jpg

It took a little while for me to get the Altera programming app loaded and running, and I also had to find the driver for the USB Blaster and get that installed as well. And then the last hurtle was figuring out that the Sophia needed to be powered in order for the programmer to see it (seems obvious now, but at the time I had this silly idea that the programmer would also provide the power for the chip).

So now I love my Sophia :)

Thank you so very much Simius, it looks like this will now be a must have for people seeking extremely clean video with pure colors and no bleed between colors (notice the transition between each bar in the color bar test).

- Michael

Great to see that the issues with the NTSC palette have been resolved! I haven't had the time to install my two Sophia boards yet, but I just ordered the USB blaster off eBay so that I can update when the time comes. Michael--when you say powered up, do you mean installed with the Atari system on?

Now I just need a DB9-Component cable. Does anyone have a direct email for the eBay seller retro_console_accessories? She has the SCART Sophia cables available but I sent a message about a component version but have yet to receive a reply.

Btw...thanks for all your hard work Simius! :)

-Kavik

• Like 1

Great to see that the issues with the NTSC palette have been resolved! I haven't had the time to install my two Sophia boards yet, but I just ordered the USB blaster off eBay so that I can update when the time comes. Michael--when you say powered up, do you mean installed with the Atari system on?

Yep, just go ahead and install the Sophia into your Atari, provide it with the normal power pack, and have it powered on. If you don't do this, then anything you attempt to do through the USB Blaster will result in a 'failed' message in the programming software. Actually this is great since you are free to reprogram anytime without having to uninstall the board.

- Michael