IGNORED

New development: GTIA in CPLD

Simius

On Digi-Key.ch it costs EUR 1.64 + EUR 18.00 (shipping).

Is there a shop with a fair shipping rate?

Try "reichelt.de". The connector ("MM SL 10SK") is € 0.24 and shipping to CH about € 7.-. You may have to put other items into your basket since AFAIK they have a € 10,- minimum order limit...

• Like 1

I have my Atari 800XL connected via SCART to my old TV, along with the Amiga 1200 I recently purchased.

I would very much like to connect them to my VGA monitor which supports 15khz video signals.

Is it possible to make a cable for the Sophia board that gives me VGA at 15khz? It sounds like it should be easily possible.

Wow :-o

So that is different hardware to the version I have? Or can I update the CPLD code on the one I have to support it?

Also, can't the current just drive VGA? Signals look very similar to VGA and you can buy cheap SCART to VGA cables for a few pounds on eBay.

I have my Atari 800XL connected via SCART to my old TV, along with the Amiga 1200 I recently purchased.

I would very much like to connect them to my VGA monitor which supports 15khz video signals.

Is it possible to make a cable for the Sophia board that gives me VGA at 15khz? It sounds like it should be easily possible.

Are you sure your monitor is supported 15kHz line scan? What type is it?

Wow :-o

So that is different hardware to the version I have? Or can I update the CPLD code on the one I have to support it?

Also, can't the current just drive VGA? Signals look very similar to VGA and you can buy cheap SCART to VGA cables for a few pounds on eBay.

Of course, it is different and you can't update yours.

There is also an experimental Sophia "D" board, version with direct LCD control. Still is not perfect, requires timings refinement, but works. Display is Sharp 10,4" 640x480 LCD-TFT module.

This coupled with the XEL could make for a very compact Ben Heck style laptop or a great all-in-one A8. I'd definitely be interested in getting my hands on one of these!

- Michael

• Like 1

Hi Simius

I know I could buy one of these to connect the Sophia to VGA (15khz) but is one actually needed or is there another way?

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

My IIyama isn't handling the modes cleanly, so I have bought one of these devices which is designed to scale 15khz to VGA signal levels and youtube reviews of it are mostly excellent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111462912684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I notice from looking at the earlier posts that there was a version of the code that also output separate HSYNC and VSYNC signals. I'm not sure if voltage levels are compatible with VGA though. Is that still an option? Have you considered releasing your source to stop annoying pests like me asking these questions? :)

Hi Simius

I know I could buy one of these to connect the Sophia to VGA (15khz) but is one actually needed or is there another way?

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

My IIyama isn't handling the modes cleanly, so I have bought one of these devices which is designed to scale 15khz to VGA signal levels and youtube reviews of it are mostly excellent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111462912684?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I notice from looking at the earlier posts that there was a version of the code that also output separate HSYNC and VSYNC signals. I'm not sure if voltage levels are compatible with VGA though. Is that still an option? Have you considered releasing your source to stop annoying pests like me asking these questions? :)

Another way is to prepare a new firmware without component/interlace modes but RGB only with separate H/V sync. Jumpers may sets the H/V pulse polarity

Simius, I missed out on the original run, when and how much do you think the Rev D board will be? I am absolutely interested in one that can run an LCD.

It isn't so easy. This LCD is the old one with the TTL interface. Similar displays can be hard to find, because presently LCDs have usualy LVDS interface.

Another way is to prepare a new firmware without component/interlace modes but RGB only with separate H/V sync. Jumpers may sets the H/V pulse polarity

That would be perfect thanks if that's possible. Or if you want to share th source I promise to keep it safe and I should have enough Verilog and VHDL knowledge to make the changes myself. Happy either way.

Hi Simius

I've received the GBS-8220 board now and notice it does actually have an RGBS input which should be easily wired to Sophia.

Can you tell me what the voltage levels are of the RGB and CSYNC signals from the Sophia please?

I presume they are TTL level (0-5V) or given you are using a modern CPLD device is the high level more like 3.3V? The reason I ask is the GBS-8220 uses a 3.3V supply voltage so if you are outputting more than this I will need to use an appropriate resistor.

Edited by steddyman