Nice Job! Things are coming along well.

I won't say too much about missing features, since I know this is in progress, but here are a few things off the top of my head and one error I noticed.

Error

1. When editing Player 1, data from Player 0 appeared, disappeared, and then reappeared in Player 1's grid.

Suggestions

1. Provide a way to retain the last palette loaded between sessions (so it won't need to be reloaded over and over).

2. I'd personally like to see WBM file format loading possible for Graphics 8. This file format is supported in Photoshop and is nearly 1 to 1 for translating to Graphics 8 (I've used it a lot for Atari stuff).

3. Current font loaded in editor should be available for various other modes and screen editors.

Comments

1. It's little consfusing having a multicolor view for the current player in the "Normal Mode" tab.

Edited by MrFish

Good, I will look at all your observations.

I also agree that multi-color player view is probably confusing in first tab. It was put there for instant view what multi-color players would look like if combined together. I can remove that feature or make it as user option.

Gury, very nice release!

i really like the missle editor and the ability to create 1 player out of all 5 missiles

The data numbers near each player is excellent!

the only comment i have is the multicolor players

you only combine 0+1 and 2+3 (there is a bug when you see 2+3 you still mark 0+1 - please fix that)

my intial idea was to combie all 4 players and even the 5fifth missle "player" into 1 character multicolored

keep up the good work!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Here is new version, mostly concentrated on multi-color player editor. It is separated from normal one-color editor as I figured it would be more logical to distinquish between them. In this editor players can be drawn freely in 32-bit area horizontally, so they are not limited to just 8-bit space. Program automatically determines the color priority between any of 4 players as they are drawn. Also, player width is put into consideration. Even if you try to draw in wrong place, it does not allow it.

I will add accompanying features to this editor as soon as you confirm this is closer to your liking. Currently multi-color editor does not support missiles.

To test your multi-color player arts, go to P/M source code generator and choose Example demonstration - Multiple color players in Source code examples combo box. In addition, I am thinking of incorporating special P/M file format to mix players and missiles together for later restoring.

Some other changes and fixes:

- New icon for compile and automatic run in your favourite Atari emulator (suggestion by walktari)

- Correct handling of color registers when reading and saving 2-color graphics mode images

post-7301-0-55460300-1521629455_thumb.png post-7301-0-98957000-1521629460.png

Greetings

Edited by Gury
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

New version: 0.8.3

Brief summary of new features:

- New PC format for drawing and mixing all 4 players together (.mpl), added icon in toolbar

- Control of horizontal movement for any player

- Bug fix: drawing a player is interchangable in normal and multi-color editor

- Very basic support for FastBasic and CC65 (currently you have to set existing path for these languages on your system, no examples ready yet)

- Character set editor, Antic mode 4/5 editor:

- Shift and move operations moved to main editor window and removed from toolbar

- Buf fix (Antic mode 4/5 editor): proper representation of color registers in characters

The multi-color player PC format is in experimental stage, which currently supports area of 32 pixels horizontally and 22 pixels vertically. When you are happy with your multi-color player drawing, go to Source code generator and click on Source code examples combo. There you can select Players and missiles or Multiple color players option, which automatically generates code for you.

The idea for the future release is using whole Atari video screen area, where you might select also size of the player or missile (yes, missiles are on the plan board too).

post-7301-0-49717200-1525178796_thumb.png post-7301-0-19352400-1525178809.png post-7301-0-20924600-1525178817.png post-7301-0-97312400-1525178824.png

Edited by Gury
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

Gury,

mad study latest version looks awsome!

some additional features i think needed:

- For multiplayer mode, add a grid.

- Add the ability to disable the mixed color between the player.

- next to each row in player (even in multiplayer) add the data values for that row on the fly (toggle hex/dec)

keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New version - 0.8.4

Some features:

- Player editors:
- Grid view (including option to select/deselect it)
- Multi-color player editor:
- 3rd-color disable/enable option
- Showing dec/hex numbers for each row
- Source code editor:
- Enhanced user-interface with access to all options in Atari BASIC/Turbo BASIC XL Parser, Mad Pascal, Mad Assembler and FastBasic. CC65 currently works with fixed parameters
- json configuration file is automatically saved on program exit if any configuraton option is changed in the program
- New version of internal compilers:
- Mad Pascal 1.5.7
- TurboBasic XL Parser Tool 9.4.3
More in Release notes in the program...
You should backup previous json configuration if you saved important data like custom directory of FastBasic or CC65, etc. Before running a program, just overwrite new json file with your file which will be updated with all necessary data when program closes.
Greetings
Edited by Gury
  • Like 6

Hi Bostjan.

I am glad Mad Studio improves.

For FastBasic, in Player/Missile editor, Source generator, I would need data in this format (hex or dec, it doesn't matter), to easily cut and paste:

data Player0() byte = 0,0,0,13,56,34,56,3,
data           byte = 0,130,30,230,50,70,40,108

I would need players frames to test animations (like Atari Player Editor).

In Character editor, Source editor, I would need data in this format:

data font() byte = $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00,
data        byte = $18, $00, $18, $00, $66, $66, $22, $00

In Graphics editor, Source editor, I would need data in this format:

data image1() byte = $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00,
data          byte = $00, $00, $69, $1a, $aa, $aa, $aa, $90, $01, $a9, $00, $64.

Does source code editor work?

I am trying to use it with FastBasic with no success.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

It works! No shell needed anymore!

But could you use a larger font please?

Thank you!

Edited by Philsan

Hello Philsan,

Your requests are accepted. I planned to include FastBasic source code generator in new version anyway.

I think of frame animation module for some time now. One of useful tools would be supporting Atari Player Editor sprite format, as proposed some posts above.

Speaking of larger font in source code editor, yes, of course. I think it would be useful to have an option to customize editor font, including its size.

Greetings

• Like 1

Thanks for the notice. A bug sneaked into source code generator when "Copy to editor" button is used. To use generated code, just copy/paste it from Source code generator window. It will be fixed in next version.

Is this the problem you came across or it was something else?

• Like 1

Usually I use FastBasic but I am doing something with Atari Basic.

In Source code editor, I managed to parse and run Atari Basic code.

To do it I associated .bas extension to Altirra.

I have one problem. When code runs needs to load a font file. The work-around is to load font from DATA instead of loading it from disk.

• 3 weeks later...

New version: 0.8.5

- Support for FastBasic (source code listings)

Source code editor
- Automatic generation of a new file and saving selected source code listing from Source code generator
- Highlighting all occurrences of a word under cursor
- Editor color and font changes
- Cursor current position indicator on key press
- Highlighted current line
- Copy / Paste / Cut functions in menu
I just noticed new file would be better generated right before compiling the code, not immediately after copying source code listing from generator. To be fixed in next version...
I suggest you to backup your customization file madstudio.json prior to installing new version in case you have your own settings for CC65 and FastBasic.
post-7301-0-30944100-1540430849_thumb.png post-7301-0-84436800-1540430859.png
Greetings
Edited by Gury
  • Like 5

Hi Bostjan.

I am glad Mad Studio improves.

For FastBasic, in Player/Missile editor, Source generator, I would need data in this format (hex or dec, it doesn't matter), to easily cut and paste:

data Player0() byte = 0,0,0,13,56,34,56,3,
data           byte = 0,130,30,230,50,70,40,108

I would need players frames to test animations (like Atari Player Editor).

In Character editor, Source editor, I would need data in this format:

data font() byte = $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00,
data        byte = $18, $00, $18, $00, $66, $66, $22, $00

In Graphics editor, Source editor, I would need data in this format:

data image1() byte = $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00, $00,
data          byte = $00, $00, $69, $1a, $aa, $aa, $aa, $90, $01, $a9, $00, $64.

Does source code editor work?

I am trying to use it with FastBasic with no success.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

It works! No shell needed anymore!

But could you use a larger font please?

Thank you!

Hi Philsan,

I hope it is of some help now. Just report what you think or suggest for improvements. I need testers like you to improve program and find bugs whenever they occur.

I will amend Graphics editor with such arrangement of data, useful!

Regards

Edited by Gury
  • Like 2

Thank you very much Bostjan!

Now I can change font's size and use Source code editor for FastBasic programming!

I found something strange.

When I click Compile FastBasic code, the code is compiled and then program starts with Altirra. That's OK for me.

When I click Parse and run FastBasic code, the code is compiled and the program starts with Altirra. But when I close Altirra, the program start again with Altirra. I have to close Altirra again. What's the purpose of that option?

In Player/missile graphics editor, Player/missile graphics source code generator for FastBasic, instead of

' Clear player memory

FOR I = 0 TO 512 + 128 : POKE PMGMEM + 384 + I, 0 : NEXT

I would use the faster MOVE command. For example, in my program I use

POKE PMGMEM+1024,0:MOVE PMGMEM+1024,PMGMEM+1025,1023

• Like 1