Hey @Gury this a very useful tool, great job !

I wonder if it will be possible for the P/M graphics editor to let you paint in different width layers ?

For example, imagine Bruce Lee.. we have a layer of double wide pixels, overlayed with a layer of single wide pixels (with ORing), to achieve the wide frames of kicking and punching.

This technique is a nightmare for artists..  ?

Each time I dealt with it, I had to imagine how the sprite will look, and the only way to be sure was to hack it in and run the game !

Maybe there is already a way to do this !?

Thanks anyway.

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2

Hi TIX,

Of course, it can be done. I will extend an editor with new feature and we will see if that is what you were searching for. But, to be more exact... Will this be something like multi-color editor where you can overlay players or editor for each player separately (now with added width layers)?

A simple quick drawing of what you want would be more than welcome.

12 minutes ago, Gury said:

Hi TIX,

Of course, it can be done. I will extend an editor with new feature and we will see if that is what you were searching for. But, to be more exact... Will this be something like multi-color editor where you can overlay players or editor for each player separately (now with added width layers)?

A simple quick drawing of what you want would be more than welcome.

I believe it's the first one, just one player is wider than the other..

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Atari terminology, so maybe the following is clearer ?!

The double wide frames consist of two frames overlapping each other, same as all the others, with the difference that at least one layer consist of double wide pixels!

For example in Bruce’s flying kick, the black layer (2) consist of double wide pixels, and the brown overlapping layer (1) consists of single wide pixels.

When the brown overlaps the black we get the full sprite of Bruce kicking  :)

image.thumb.png.e86ce638150619f3a1ab7e7dd925b7bb.png image.png.3e1674f0f161fa2bc1cc2ddd2afc7c23.png

Thanks a lot for taking the time  ?

Okej, I get it :) Very nice presentation. I think it is good time to enhance the multi-color editor with the ability to set players with any of three possible widths and overlap them as you wish fit. Then player data would be automatically prepared as data values in code generator or somewhere else as data info in the main working window. Of course, it would be great to have an option to save player data and layer positions.

Would this be ok?

If this is concert of wishes, then I would propose to improve multicolor sprites editor (and normal player/missile editor too). Two things are important for me (and not only for me I guess).
1. In the player editor window it could be nice to switch between pixel shape. I mean square pixel as it is in current version, and a rectangle pixel to draw in "single resolution normal size" directly.
2. Allow to change number of rows in player editor. Now we have 30 rows only, while there are a lot of sprites in the games which are higher. It would be perfect to freely configure sprite height, but for many purposes it is enough to increase it to 40px.

In the next step, I have further proposal for improving player animator. Is it possible to add wider field for 4 players animated together like we can draw them next to each other? I mean to do it like it is in PM editor/multicolor player editor.

By the way, thank you for Mad Studio which is very nice, handy, and usefull tools set. I think it might be the best tools set, and there is a lot ideas to do and improve.

10 minutes ago, Gury said:

Okej, I get it :) Very nice presentation. I think it is good time to enhance the multi-color editor with the ability to set players with any of three possible widths and overlap them as you wish fit. Then player data would be automatically prepared as data values in code generator or somewhere else as data info in the main working window. Of course, it would be great to have an option to save player data and layer positions.

Would this be ok?

you nailed it  :D

thank you !

• Like 1

I just tried Madstudio today, because I was looking for some PMG editing tool. Unfortunately the editor is not as versatile as I would expect.

I agree with @Mq.'s feature request.

I would especially welcome possibility to set PM height, i'm missing 16 pixels height.

And additional nice feature would be some additional manual import option of "raw" PM data. 

The best would be showing the input raw data similarly as in omnivore, where you could select 16 bytes and drag them to Player0 ... then select next 16 bytes and drag them to Player1.... and so on... something like this:

image.thumb.png.d287d4046c3a20ff8512fce61cc59240.png

This way would be very useful for PM animator as well.

2 hours ago, Mq. said:

If this is concert of wishes, then I would propose to improve multicolor sprites editor (and normal player/missile editor too). Two things are important for me (and not only for me I guess).
1. In the player editor window it could be nice to switch between pixel shape. I mean square pixel as it is in current version, and a rectangle pixel to draw in "single resolution normal size" directly.
2. Allow to change number of rows in player editor. Now we have 30 rows only, while there are a lot of sprites in the games which are higher. It would be perfect to freely configure sprite height, but for many purposes it is enough to increase it to 40px.

In the next step, I have further proposal for improving player animator. Is it possible to add wider field for 4 players animated together like we can draw them next to each other? I mean to do it like it is in PM editor/multicolor player editor.

By the way, thank you for Mad Studio which is very nice, handy, and usefull tools set. I think it might be the best tools set, and there is a lot ideas to do and improve.

Good suggestion! Before doing customized (max height) version the 40px custom option or less will be doable. Sure, I can update Animator editor the way Player multi-color editor works. All this will take some time, but it will be done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK - I have been using the Antic 3 font editor, and it's great. A couple of observations/requests, though:

• The edit pane doesn't appear to automatically refresh when you load a different font, at least until you choose a character
  • 'Save character set' always presents the file selector. 'Save' should simply save the file under the existing name (unless no named file is yet loader, in which case it should open the file selector), while 'Save As...' should always open the file selector so that you can save the file under a different name if necessary (and be warned if said file already exists). This behaviour should probably be observed throughout the suite.
  • It would be nice to have - as well as the ASCII/internal code of the current character which is already there - an indication of the 'standard' definition for the character being edited. Which is to say, if the font being edited has a blank '+' symbol, for instance, you need to look up the ASCII code to see that this is actually the '+' character.
  • It would be useful to have facilities for copying one cell (or a range of cells) to another location, EORing each byte of the cell being edited with $FF, flipping and mirroring on both axes, etc.

Please don't take any of these points as criticisms per say, however. I've found the font editor very useful and convenient; I simply found myself hankering for additional features and a little disconcerted by the unusual Save behaviour.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

No problem at all, flashjazzcat. It is good to give constructive criticism and suggestions like this for the sake of the project :)

All you said is true, I will think about that and make updates when I return to this project.

Edited by Gury

• 2 weeks later...

I am making .mic or .gr7 files in Atari Graphics Studio and trying to open them in .gr7 mode in Mad Studio Graphics editor. (So I can export code for them)

However most of them just don't load properly - nothing is on the canvas.

Only one seems to load OK, but that .mic has the wrong dimentions for gr7.

splash.mic works ok - unexpectedly

both splash6.mic and splash6.gr7 seem to not load - nothing changes on the canvas when these files are opened.

Any ideas?

splash.mic splash6.mic splash6.gr7

I checked these files and it seems the program doesn't read them properly. I will have to check working files and compare with the format of included files.

All in all, the program needs changes anyway. I will have to return to the project as soon as possible.

Edited by Gury

4 hours ago, Gury said:

I checked these files and it seems the program doesn't read them properly. I will have to check working files and compare with the format of included files.

All in all, the program needs changes anyway. I will have to return to the project as soon as possible.

No problem - thanks for trying them! I thought I was doing something wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I have started using MAD Studio particularly Sprite editor part.

Here are my marks about usability:

1. When editing multi-color sprite on multi-color sprite editor tab, separate player windows does not update. It happens when you draw on the position of the player which is not currently selected. So When you Paint on the main window and save, you loose your work.

2. When changing color on palette for player (e.g. pcolr0) it does not change it on the player sprite. You have to click again on the sprite surface.

3. There is no way to copy data from Sprite editor to Player animator.

4. There is no way to import BMP as a sprite. Would be useful to draw on other 2d graphics tool and then import ready graphic.

5. It would be very helpful to be able to mark portion of the sprite and move only that part. Not the whole sprite.

6. Copy/Paste between player sprite would be nice.

7. Drawing a big sprite that is 30 line high incorrectly updates during drawing. It shows correct pixels when you stop drawing but it is very misleading.

8. Player Animator source code generator does not generate ready working version for sprite with move animation sequence. Steady animation works.

On 4/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, Mq. said:

The new version will support 40 rows max and configuring this height, which should be enough for many uses as you proposed. Also, switching between resolution sizes will be possible. This number fits perfectly to the new layout of P/M editor of approximatelly 768 pixels in height which I think is still the standard height for most devices with Windows platform. This is the main reason I limit window forms of this size. Maybe I will switch to different settings in the future, maybe 1080px or so. I am still living in old retro days, I can't step forward to new times.

Edited by Gury
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New version (0.9.9)

Player/missile editor
  - Player editor
     - [Changed] Maximum height to 40 pixels
     - [Added] Custom setting of height (1 to 40)
     - [Added] Changing resolution size (double or single)
     - [Added] Shifting/moving all players at once
     - [Added] Flipping all players horizontally/vertically at once
     - [Added] Copying specific player data to selected players
     - [Added] Copying selected player data to all other players
     - [Changed] Context menu triggered by mouse right button and Ctrl key simultaneously
     - [Changed] Player location with more precise X and Y coordinate positioning
     - [Changed] Layout for new features and changes
     - [Changed] Tool icon images for horizontal and vertical manipulation
     - [Removed] Tool icons for shifting and moving players
     - [Fixed] Drawing in editor with no gaps and unpredictable plotting
     - [Fixed] Immediate color change after changing color in Color palette

madstudio01.thumb.png.73fdcec057c3e99515a9d85bafa8c9dc.png

- Multi-color player editor
     - [Added] Custom setting of height (1 to 40 pixels, the same value is set in Player editor)
     - [Added] Changing resolution size (double or single, the same value is set in Player editor)
     - [Added] Joining players together

madstudio04.thumb.png.f68f452457b55b8ad22518dc6ff16e31.png

- Missile editor
     - [Changed] Maximum height to 34 pixels
     - [Added] Custom setting of height (1 to 34)
     - [Added] Changing resolution size (double or single, the same value is set in Player editor)
     - [Changed] Missile location with more precise X and Y coordinate positioning

madstudio05.thumb.png.b05a91c69f8a1569cc74e1eb9f45d0e6.png

Player Animator
  - [Added] Custom setting of height (1 to 40)
  - [Added] Changing resolution size (double or single)
  - [Added] Copying selected frame data to all frames
  - [Added] Copying data from Player editor (copy to selected frame or to all frames, selecting both frame layers, frame layer 0 or frame layer 1)
  - [Added] Shifting/moving all frames at once
  - [Added] Flipping all frames horizontally/vertically at once
  - [Changed] Context menu triggered by mouse right button and Ctrl key simultaneously

madstudio03.thumb.png.b42c3b6d18b66cb8d7c43e5cb396f2ad.png

madstudio02.thumb.png.4d3e0356acfcd532b032390d6d50624d.png

Character set editor
  - [Added] Display for selected character and detailed information

Text mode 1/2 editor
  - [Changed] Text mode selection moved into toolbar as combo box selection

Antic mode 3 editor
  - [Fixed] Data for drawn character in editor is updated immediately

Antic mode 4/5 editor
  - [Fixed] Data for drawn character in editor is updated immediately
  - [Added] Display for selected character and detailed information
  - [Changed] Text mode selection moved into toolbar as combo box selection

Source code editor
  - [Added] Combo box for specifying FastBasic version type

Misc
  - Program compiled with Lazarus 2.0.8 x86_64-win64-win32/win64 (Free Pascal Compiler 3.0.4)
  - New versions of cross-compilers included:
     - Mad Assembler 2.1.0 build 8
     - Mad Pascal Compiler version 1.6.4
     - FastBasic 4.3 - Fast BASIC interpreter
     - TurboBasic XL Parser Tool 10

Other missing and suggested features will be implemented in future versions.

Enjoy!

madstudio099_x86_x64.zip animate.xex animate.pas animate.bas

Edited by Gury
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Hi Philsan,

Source code editor fonts can be changed in settings in Tools menu (Options, General tab). I have to apologise I didn't make a note that you have to obtain your previous configuration file (before installing new version of Mad Studio) if you want to work with your current settings.

The problem with Atari BASIC listings is that the program saves these files in Atari format, which can be directly read in emulator or real machine. I will have to find a way to make a choice on what type of listing do you want saved on disk (listed or saved with Atari EOL delimiter). Maybe saving in both formats in the same time.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I know that fonts can be changed in settings, it's not a problem to change them everytime a new version of Mad Studio is released.

The problem is that every font is very spaced, it looks strange.

My screenshot shows Arial font, compare it with standard Arial font in other programs.

Usually I use FastBasic but I am now working on an Atari Basic project and the fact I cannot directly load a saved program is a problem.

I will look what can be done with internal editor to make spacing more compact.

The other issue will be solved by selecting type of Atari BASIC listing as output (PC compatible listed or Atari delimited).

Edited by Gury