Hi, below is new version which solves Atari BASIC listing output issue. Source code editor now includes combo box right near language selection, which offers you PC and Atari format for output listing when saved to disk.

Note that all listings are defaulted to PC format, so if you specially need an Atari output just select Atari format and save file to disk again.

Other issue will NOT be solved very soon, because Mad Studio uses TSynEdit component as text editor, which uses only monospaced fonts. This means all font characters will have same width. Try to choose a font and its size which suits you best.

madstudio0991_x86_x64.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, TIX said:

I wonder if it will be possible for the P/M graphics editor to let you paint in different width layers ?

For example, imagine Bruce Lee.. we have a layer of double wide pixels, overlayed with a layer of single wide pixels (with ORing), to achieve the wide frames of kicking and punching.

This technique is a nightmare for artists..  ?

Each time I dealt with it, I had to imagine how the sprite will look, and the only way to be sure was to hack it in and run the game !

Maybe there is already a way to do this !?

Thanks anyway.

On 4/24/2020 at 3:37 PM, TIX said:

I believe it's the first one, just one player is wider than the other..

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Atari terminology, so maybe the following is clearer ?!

The double wide frames consist of two frames overlapping each other, same as all the others, with the difference that at least one layer consist of double wide pixels!

For example in Bruce’s flying kick, the black layer (2) consist of double wide pixels, and the brown overlapping layer (1) consists of single wide pixels.

When the brown overlaps the black we get the full sprite of Bruce kicking  :)

image.thumb.png.e86ce638150619f3a1ab7e7dd925b7bb.png image.png.3e1674f0f161fa2bc1cc2ddd2afc7c23.png

Here is new version which enables you to draw in such way. You set player width by clicking appropriate button (x1, x2, x4). Moving selected player around with horizontal position tracker is currently possible only by selecting normal sized player (single width - x1 button). Plotting is possible in any player width size, but drawing using double or quadruple size width can be sometimes misplaced with single width alignment. This is properly seen when image is loaded again after saving.

The multi-color player format now also includes player width sizes and enable/disable third color flag.

mad_studio_kick.thumb.png.056ee98ea391393f36f2161667927375.png

Below is Mad Pascal example of using new feature.

One of the missing features in future release will probably be also Undo/Redo function.

kick.pas kick.xex

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 6:00 PM, matosimi said:

I just tried Madstudio today, because I was looking for some PMG editing tool. Unfortunately the editor is not as versatile as I would expect.

I agree with @Mq.'s feature request.

I would especially welcome possibility to set PM height, i'm missing 16 pixels height.

And additional nice feature would be some additional manual import option of "raw" PM data. 

The best would be showing the input raw data similarly as in omnivore, where you could select 16 bytes and drag them to Player0 ... then select next 16 bytes and drag them to Player1.... and so on... something like this:

image.thumb.png.d287d4046c3a20ff8512fce61cc59240.png

This way would be very useful for PM animator as well.

New version 0.9.9.3 includes new module called Byte editor, which enables you to examine and export bytes from selected file. It is not as sophisticated as Omnivore or similar tools, but it is a start.

byteedit.thumb.png.ff13b2d6983da457915a479d3f4db337.png

You can view data bytes row by row (16 bytes in a row). When you select a row, data found at that position is drawn on top in left panel, with remaining data followed to the bottom. You can select bytes manually by unchecking Row selection radio button. Max. number of exported lines helps you to determine how many rows of data will be included in exported data. Data can be exported to Player editor, Animator editor and Font editor. Each of these editors includes special tool button on top for selecting Byte editor.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Gury said:

I will extend DLI editor in some later version and of course, it is possible to include gr. mode 2.

Character set editor... Choosing starting line number where?

I am just working on a title screen similar and I would need graphics mode 0,1 and 2:

golf_pro_slcc_journal_2.gif.dfbb82beba18e8485d4f723c89019427.gif

Regarding character set editor, when I generate Basic source code, I get this:

0 REM *******************************
1 REM CHARACTER SET DATA
2 REM *******************************
10 DATA 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
20 DATA 0,24,24,24,24,0,24,0

It would be useful to choose starting line number, for example 1000, 5000, 10000.

On 9/8/2020 at 11:13 PM, Gury said:

Here is new version which enables you to draw in such way. You set player width by clicking appropriate button (x1, x2, x4). Moving selected player around with horizontal position tracker is currently possible only by selecting normal sized player (single width - x1 button). Plotting is possible in any player width size, but drawing using double or quadruple size width can be sometimes misplaced with single width alignment. This is properly seen when image is loaded again after saving.

The multi-color player format now also includes player width sizes and enable/disable third color flag.

Hey @Gury,

I want to thank you for fulfilling my request for variable width layers !! this will come of use very soon !! ?

On another subject...

I'm completely clueless regarding technical terms.. but I can ask ?

is it at all possible to incorporate a binary editor ?

specifically to load a game (xex, atr, ..) into the editor and be able to edit character sets in various Antic modes ?

something like Omnivore does, but with the ability to edit the characters as well..

maybe a tool like this already exists.. but I haven't been able to find it till now.

Thanks again for taking the time to make this tool perfect !

• Like 1

Thank You Gury for all new features in the new versions of Mad Studio. I'm not testing it because I have no free time for a moment, but I read descriptions and I watch screenshots, and I like it very much. Thank You for a lot of a good job and amazing tool. I'm sure I will use it in the future many times.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, Philsan said:

I am just working on a title screen similar and I would need graphics mode 0,1 and 2:

golf_pro_slcc_journal_2.gif.dfbb82beba18e8485d4f723c89019427.gif

Regarding character set editor, when I generate Basic source code, I get this:

0 REM *******************************
1 REM CHARACTER SET DATA
2 REM *******************************
10 DATA 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
20 DATA 0,24,24,24,24,0,24,0

It would be useful to choose starting line number, for example 1000, 5000, 10000.

New version supports Antic mode 7 (text mode 2) in Display list editor. Editor is not perfected yet, but it is a start. Also, you can set your own starting line and line step for Atari BASIC and TBXL listings in all available source code generators.

Mad Studio is now on GitHub.

madstudio_dl_antic7.png.8992b136c103495d752ca15ea39e8a72.png  madstudio_srcgen_abl.thumb.png.d6eff82a27f6bb62b83fabb73eb491a5.png

Edited by Gury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, SteveC1331 said:

I am making .mic or .gr7 files in Atari Graphics Studio and trying to open them in .gr7 mode in Mad Studio Graphics editor. (So I can export code for them)

However most of them just don't load properly - nothing is on the canvas.

Only one seems to load OK, but that .mic has the wrong dimentions for gr7.

splash.mic works ok - unexpectedly

both splash6.mic and splash6.gr7 seem to not load - nothing changes on the canvas when these files are opened.

Any ideas?

splash.mic 9.38 kB · 16 downloads splash6.mic 9.38 kB · 16 downloads splash6.gr7 3.75 kB · 14 downloads

I tried to load splash6.mic in Atari Graphics Studio and it didn't load. Can you please lead me to proper settings in that program, so I can check image?

Great, I updated to new version!

I checked splash6.mic file and it seems to be blank. So nothing to be tested.

Thanks for really great graphics program. Besides many features, I like the way for selecting tools from toolbar. Really good principles.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gury said:

No problem at all. Did you mean selecting characters from Antic mode 6 and 7 character preview panel?

What you can do is selecting those characters (heart and other graphics characters) from Antic mode 2, 4 or 5 character preview panel.

Yes: I am a complete idiot and somehow could not see what was staring me right in the face. Thank you! :)

'Save as...' and 'Save' appear to do the same thing (open up the save dialog). Shouldn't 'Save' only open the save dialog if the edited file doesn't already have a filename assigned (i.e. the first time you save a new file), and thereafter simply save the file under the current name, bypassing the save dialog?

Small feature request in the font editor: the ability to invert all bits in the current character cell.

Very much enjoying this character editor so far... :)