Are we going to have a TI Christmas?

Omega-TI

For this endeaver, I have been using this configuration in classic99:

[usercart2]
; Ubergrom
name="UberGrom"
rom0=C|6000|2000|MODS\TUTANKHAMC.bin
rom1=U|6000|80000|MODS\ubergrom.bin

So I get the rom component loaded as well. The contents of ubergrom.bin are 120k of some other rom... and gromcfg viewers don't see that, so when you say load 'anything', I suppose everything but the 'U' is ignored except for parsing the config line. Is that correct?

-M@

I don't know anymore... The groms look healthy in the debugger, but it causes the TI menu screen to crash.

That EA2K is handy... thanks.

I ^S'ed my ubergrom layout, in case anyone can see what I'm did wrong...

UBERTUT_BAD.zip

The companion C.bin, and source G.bin are over here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254218-what-ever-happened-towith/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3540753

-M@

• Like 1

I don't know anymore... The groms look healthy in the debugger, but it causes the TI menu screen to crash.

That EA2K is handy... thanks.

I ^S'ed my ubergrom layout, in case anyone can see what I'm did wrong...

attachicon.gifUBERTUT_BAD.zip

The companion C.bin, and source G.bin are over here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254218-what-ever-happened-towith/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3540753

-M@

You file works for me in Classic. I load it into GROMCFG, press F7 and disable bases, then soft reset. I then get to the menu where I can select the game and play it.

And why do I need to turn the grom bases off? Is it because the GROM header is in the last grom?

-M@

From Tursi's manual on the UberGrom:

A note on device interfacing The TI console includes limited support for multiple GROM bases, and a ‘Review Module Library’ option. However, it determines whether to activate this by comparing the first 31 bytes of cartridge space, starting at >6000. There is a bug in this loop, in that if multiple bases ARE detected, but no valid cartridge header is detected, the console will go into an infinite loop while building the module list. In order to make it less likely to cause this behavior by accident, all peripheral spaces on this device start at a >0020 offset, and the first 32 bytes. Thus, only GROM, RAM or EEPROM can actually be at >6000.

I have faith this will be playable on Christmas morning!

The fact that certain folks are involved in the discussions certainly builds my confidence that this long lost, never released gem will soon be as common on our 4A's as Slime and Robotron 2048 (it wasn't that long ago that we could only imagine playing those as well!).

• Like 1

Wishing for Tutankham to be released on the UberGrom board. That would totally make my Christmas! :love:

Tutankham.zip

Inside are 4 files to flash to the 2 chips on the UberGrom cartridge board:

at49F040.bin : The 8K rom code, filled into all banks of the 512k rom, so no matter what bank your ubergrom starts on, it will find the code.

atmega1284p-code.BIN : The ubergrom chip code segment with the groms

atmega1284p-config.BIN : The fuse settings for the ubergrom chip

atmega1284p-data.BIN : Not actually sure what this is, but there are some bytes in it so flash those... (Oh, this is the portion Gazoo's images called eeprom)

If using the MINI-PRO TL866 programmer, there are 3 tabs for the different segments. The atmega files are named to match the name of the segment to load into, either by changing the radio selector when loading the file, or by switching to that tab before picking the File->Load function.

Maybe this should go into new products at Arcade Shopper...

On real-iron, my complaints of game-play dissolve. It is just a bit faster paced game then most of our TI offerings. And I have some responsiveness issues on my machine with the emulator...

It does not seem to support keyboard input at all during game-play, just joystick 1. ( I haven't tried 2 player mode yet )

Fire when moving left or right. Pressing fire and up activates one of your magic-lamps that nuke all enemies on the screen. Once you use up your lives, then space-bar seems to restart.

-M@

• Like 3

attachicon.gifTutankham.zip

Inside are 4 files to flash to the 2 chips on the UberGrom cartridge board:

at49F040.bin : The 8K rom code, filled into all banks of the 512k rom, so no matter what bank your ubergrom starts on, it will find the code.

atmega1284p-code.BIN : The ubergrom chip code segment with the groms

atmega1284p-config.BIN : The fuse settings for the ubergrom chip

atmega1284p-data.BIN : Not actually sure what this is, but there are some bytes in it so flash those... (Oh, this is the portion Gazoo's images called eeprom)

If using the MINI-PRO TL866 programmer, there are 3 tabs for the different segments. The atmega files are named to match the name of the segment to load into, either by changing the radio selector when loading the file, or by switching to that tab before picking the File->Load function.

Maybe this should go into new products at Arcade Shopper...

On real-iron, my complaints of game-play dissolve. It is just a bit faster paced game then most of our TI offerings. And I have some responsiveness issues on my machine with the emulator...

It does not seem to support keyboard input at all during game-play, just joystick 1. ( I haven't tried 2 player mode yet )

Fire when moving left or right. Pressing fire and up activates one of your magic-lamps that nuke all enemies on the screen. Once you use up your lives, then space-bar seems to restart.

-M@

NICE JOB M@!

• Like 1

Tursi, I infer from this then, that the emulation is not persistent, but can be used to save the 120k file from inside gromcfg. Once that is done, can the U entry be used to load that back, or does it require loading via gromcfg first?

It's a cartridge, therefore, unless you have loaded the cartridge, it's not part of the emulation.

You can define the entire cartridge in Classic99.ini to avoid needing to load it through GROMCFG each time.

So I get the rom component loaded as well. The contents of ubergrom.bin are 120k of some other rom... and gromcfg viewers don't see that, so when you say load 'anything', I suppose everything but the 'U' is ignored except for parsing the config line. Is that correct?

No, it's actually loaded into the GROM space and you actually will see it in GROMCFG (if you configure it to a memory address - without an EEPROM load there are no slots configured so you don't see any data).

You don't need to load the entire 120k, if all you want to do is enable the UberGROM emulation for the sake of using GROMCFG, you can load any data and any amount of data. There's only one configuration today so it's always a 120k chip.

If you want to actually load an UberGROM cartridge, you will ALSO need to include the EEPROM data as that is where the slot configuration is stored. The Classic99 type for that is 'T' and it's a 4k memory.

You can use the files you dumped from the EPROM programmer and load them directly through Classic99.ini.

[usercart45]
name="Tutankham"
rom0=U|0000|1E000|C:\classic99\MODS\Tutankham\atmega1284p-code.BIN
rom1=8|0000|80000|C:\classic99\MODS\Tutankham\at49F040.bin
rom2=T|0000|1000|C:\classic99\MODS\Tutankham\atmega1284p-data.BIN
  • Like 2