IGNORED

"The Internet for Commodore Users" still available

RobertB

Back in the day, I bought the spiral-bound book, "The Internet for Commodore Users" by Gaelyne Gasson. It was the third, and little did I know at the time, it was the final edition. Every once in awhile, C= users ask about getting their machines on-line, and I refer them to TIFCU if it answers their questions. (TIFCU was written before C= wi-fi modems and other newer means of connecting.)
All these years I had thought that the book would never be seen again. I was wrong! In September I met with Gaelyne in Adelaide, South Australia, and she informed me that C= users can still access the book by downloading the .PDF. I was gladly surprised.
If you want your own copy of TIFCU, read the description at

http://market.vcsweb.net/about-tifcu-the-internet-for-commodore-users/

and click on the button at the bottom for purchasing information. If you just want to directly purchase TIFCU, go to

http://market.vcsweb.net/product/tifcu-the-internet-for-commodore-c64-128-users/

Writing from Roseburg, Oregon,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my grandmother telling me about "Q-Link" for the Commodore 64. She described it as "America Online" (vomit) for the Commodore 64. As I did more research on it, it seemed more like a BBS, though it was described as an "Online Service."

But I'm not familiar with the book,

Edited by Captain Kiwi

• 4 weeks later...

I remember my grandmother telling me about "Q-Link" for the Commodore 64. She described it as "America Online" (vomit) for the Commodore 64. As I did more research on it, it seemed more like a BBS, though it was described as an "Online Service."

Are you suggesting that BBS aren't "Online"?

Are you suggesting that BBS aren't "Online"?

I think what he meant was that BBS are more community run and are different from commercial "Online Services." Back in the day we made a distinction between Q-Link, CompuServe, and other so-called "Online Services," and the local BBS, often ran by some dude in his bedroom.

-dZ.

• Like 2

I think what he meant was that BBS are more community run and are different from commercial "Online Services." Back in the day we made a distinction between Q-Link, CompuServe, and other so-called "Online Services," and the local BBS, often ran by some dude in his bedroom.

-dZ.

Exactly what I was aiming for. :)

You are making me feel old :) But, your grandmother was right, Q-Link actually became AOL. Q-Link disks seemed to come with everything (C64C's, disk drives, in the mail, etc) very much like you would see AOL CD-ROMs all over the place in the mid-late 90's. I was a member of Q-Link for a very long time and I thought it was great. Mainly the chat room feature which was something that was fun back in those days. Between that and D-Dial (diversi dial) I conducted sales, trades and met some really cool people that I still talk to and hang out with today.

I tried to sign up with Q-Link at the very end, but the system was so broken at that time that it was not accepting any more subscriptions. I even called the company to ask what could be done, but they didn't know how to fix it. However, I was a Delphi and GENie user for several years until they folded, too.

Never signed up for Compuserve,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

• 3 months later...

Q-Link even had a deal that let Commodore User Groups get online either really cheap or free (can't remember which), but since I was the Newsletter Editor back then for our group, I logged on throught that account to get the latest "news". I remember how fast my new 2400 baud modem was back then.

All in all, I think we were more productive through our local BBS, and Fido Net. It wasn't as much fun as Q-Link though.

Edited by motrucker

I remember how fast my new 2400 baud modem was back then.

I first started with a 300 baud modem on my Commodore, and I could type faster than what was appearing on the screen. :) When I graduated to a 1200 baud Commodore 1670 modem, it was wonderful! Not long after that, I upgraded to a 2400 baud Aprotek Minimodem 24. I thought I was blazing through the Lynx browser then. Finally, I ended up with an external 56K modem hooked up to my Commodore through a Turbo-232 adapter. Downloads were so fast now (though the 56K modem would max out at 40K to 28K depending on which telephone lines I was using in various parts of California).

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

June 10-11 Pacific Commodore Expo NW -

http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex

July 29-30 Commodore Vegas Expo v13 -

http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

I first started with a 300 baud modem on my Commodore, and I could type faster than what was appearing on the screen. :) When I graduated to a 1200 baud Commodore 1670 modem, it was wonderful! Not long after that, I upgraded to a 2400 baud Aprotek Minimodem 24. I thought I was blazing through the Lynx browser then. Finally, I ended up with an external 56K modem hooked up to my Commodore through a Turbo-232 adapter. Downloads were so fast now (though the 56K modem would max out at 40K to 28K depending on which telephone lines I was using in various parts of California).

Sounds like the same progression I went through. I also had the Aprotek 2400 baud modem. I remember the live chats in Q-Link, and how backed up they would get, which was one reason I used the Local BBS more than Q-Link. By the time I went to 56K I was using an Amiga more than my C-128D. I remember that Gaelyne Gasson wrote a column back then, but I can't remember which magazine (I must be getting old). I had her book, which was interesting reading back then. I was a bit surprised to see she is still asking $10 for a PDF copy.

Q-Link became AOL in later time.

No, AOL existed in parallel and was marketing hard to Q-Link users to make the transition before the Q-Link shutdown date. IIRC, it was November 4, 1994, but I cannot remember exactly other than I was hanging out in Bonnie's Bar when the final shutdown message was displayed -- no fanfare, no thanks, just the standard "The System Has Shutdown."

There are plenty of break-downs and accounts of the Q-Link downward spiral detailing lost functionality, broken services, lost uploads, crashing areas of the system, and so on. I have read some conjecture that AOL had considered continuing running Q-Link, but differing reasons prevented it (again, what I have read or heard in passing, so do not take any of this as gospel): the server on which it ran had suffered too many failures to make any use other than ingesting into the AOL system a fool's errand, AOL management demanded that it be integrated into AOL's system to accommodate massive user surge, and whatever else I cannot recall.

Was anyone else there the night that Q-Link and AOL rooms spilled over into each other? That was fun and confusing stuff, and it gave birth to a number of conspiracy theories about what AOL was doing to kill Q-Link, how Q-Link really was AOL with a Commodore front-end, etc.

motrucker wrote:

> I remember that Gaelyne Gasson wrote a column back then, but I can't remember which magazine (I must be getting old).

It was Commodore World magazine, which came from Creative Micro Designs.

> I had her book, which was interesting reading back then. I was a bit surprised to see she is still asking $10 for a PDF copy.

I should buy the .PDF and give it as a gift to one of our Fresno Commodore User Group members.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

June 10-11 Pacific Commodore Expo NW -

http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex

July 29-30 Commodore Vegas Expo v13 -

http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex