IGNORED

Carina II, RoboWar II

Timothy Kline

OK, everyone, mess with this: broadway1.lorexddns.net port 23.

It will most likely crash or not be available, but I want everyone to give it the test,

It still says ACE BBS for now, but I'll fix all that when I know it works,

Edit: It hasn't crashed since I started using Atari BASIC Rev. C.

Edited by Kyle22

It's almost working. Still having clock problems, and some small connection issues, but I think I know what needs to happen.

Whoever has the source for the various X32*.DOS and X33*.DOS versions needs to update the clock routine for the new chip and address.

Since that's unfortunately very unlikely, The source for TDLINE.COM would be a great help. That may also be difficult to find.

But:

All that would be needed in this case is a small SpartaDOS TSR that hooks an interrupt and reads Z: and updates the COMTAB+13 (,14,15, etc.) addresses with the values read from Z:.

There would be no need for TDLINE, and ZHAND wouldn't be necessary on an Ultimate or Incognito. I am doing this now in BASIC in the waitcall loop and the MOE display has the correct current time

It's been so long since I've written this kind of stuff... Can anyone point me towards any templates or example Sparta 3 TSR source?

I think I got Robo working last night but it got late and I work early. Things got slow since I was sick last weekend and with my long commute I only get a couple hours a night. I'll do the finishing touches tonight and if it works I'll let you know what I did. I also have a few people lined up to help me test it to make sure it's stable-ish before I open it to the wild.

Funny thing. My biggest problem right now seems to be finding a good editor for the ATASCII and ASCII files.

Unfortunately my work blocks Atariage so I'll post more details when I get home.

So... Veteran Adventurer's Guild or Veteran Gamers Guild?

Also if things go as planned, I should have Zenobia and some other games too.

As defined by the 850's R: driver protocol, location 747 (DVSTAT+1) only reflects control line status if the interface is not in concurrent mode. If concurrent mode is active, this location gives the input buffer level instead. This is because the R: driver has to send a command to the 850 to read the control lines, and it can't do that when the SIO bus is actively in use by the comm channel. I believe compatible R: drivers for other hardware generally maintain this protocol even if they do not have the same limitation.

From what I saw the last time I debugged Carina II, the unmodified WAITCALL at least wants to see RING and CONNECT from the modem. There were some timing issues that I had to work around in Altirra, one being that Carina II needed a minimum delay from ATA to CONNECT or else the BASIC code couldn't close and reopen the R: channel quickly enough to catch the CONNECT message. I forget what the changes were in the bf2k-modified WAITCALL.

In the last month, I have finally gotten Carina running under Altirra in something that could be called stable - it has never crashed. I went back to the original source that I had before I did the 'BBS on a Stick' version that ran on a800win v2.5c.

I only made one change in the WAITCALL program in line 2330. The USR call in 2330 returns a zero which prevents the BBS from connecting. I use a X=4 instruction after the USR call to force the return value to 4 and it works perfectly. Maybe this is due to the delay you are talking about above?

telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com :9000 to see it running

I think I got Robo working last night but it got late and I work early. Things got slow since I was sick last weekend and with my long commute I only get a couple hours a night. I'll do the finishing touches tonight and if it works I'll let you know what I did. I also have a few people lined up to help me test it to make sure it's stable-ish before I open it to the wild.

Funny thing. My biggest problem right now seems to be finding a good editor for the ATASCII and ASCII files.

Unfortunately my work blocks Atariage so I'll post more details when I get home.

So... Veteran Adventurer's Guild or Veteran Gamers Guild?

Also if things go as planned, I should have Zenobia and some other games too.

Use MATT*EDIT for your editing needs..

How's your Robo fix going?

Use MATT*EDIT for your editing needs..

How's your Robo fix going?

I think you meant to send this to Tillek. :)

I have put the BBS project on hold until I get this clock issue fixed. One way or another I will make this work. I will let you know when it's back up.

Feel free to try to connect at any time. You may be able to witness a fleeting glimpse of a work in progress. Just tell me if that glimpse looks good before I change something else and F it up. :)

I think you meant to send this to Tillek. :)

I have put the BBS project on hold until I get this clock issue fixed. One way or another I will make this work. I will let you know when it's back up.

Feel free to try to connect at any time. You may be able to witness a fleeting glimpse of a work in progress. Just tell me if that glimpse looks good before I change something else and F it up. :)

It was in response to Tillek, as shown in the quote's header :)

I checked out the RoboWar II archive and there are 4 files that fail the CRC check, 3 of which are BASIC files: Main, RoboEdit and RoboWar.

Does anyone have an earlier version of this? Otherwise it's going to be a slow recovery...

Do you know a quick way to determine which version you have? Triads mentioned that a version for Carina 2.0 and then this 22 archive.

I just know mine works with Carina 2.7. But it was over a year ago so I don't remember if I copied it from an archive, or from my old floppies. I'll look at that and get back to you.

Either way, I can get you something that works.

Just for info.... This is the setup that it's running on....

I am running on an Atari 800xl (my actual childhood machine that I always wanted to run a BBS on but couldn't because my parents wouldn't let me have my own line unless I paid for it and I was too young to get a job).

256k Rambo (that I installed when I was in grade school)

256kMIO

An SH204 hard drive (basically, bypassed the ST host adapter and went straight from MIO to the controller on the SH204... works beautifully).

Lantronix UDS-10 @ 19200

R-Time 8 (original) and Basic XE

I find Basic XE makes it run a little faster, but I haven't noticed any difference when it comes to making it run "better" but the Zenobia docs say they require it.

I do use an Atarimax SIO2USB to do backups and transfer things between the Atari and PC, but I don't leave it connected most of the time and it doesn't do anything with the BBS except the backup.

• Like 1

Do you know a quick way to determine which version you have? Triads mentioned that a version for Carina 2.0 and then this 22 archive.

I just know mine works with Carina 2.7. But it was over a year ago so I don't remember if I copied it from an archive, or from my old floppies. I'll look at that and get back to you.

Either way, I can get you something that works.

I looked through the files and I only see RoboWar II and not any hint if it's 2.0 or 2.2.

Which ever version you have would greatly help out :)

Thanks,

Jay

PM Sent...

Thanks... I'm pretty much shot... and like I said, I'm not 100% sure if it came from the floppies I had downloaded it to "back in the day" or an archive I downloaded. I started this about a year ago, and I barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

But I'll try to sort it out tomorrow and get it to you.

That's cool, I suppose I can wait ;)

Well, I'm also celebrating because a lot of my side projects hit some milestones today (this being one of them) and there is alcohol involved. If I tried to send it to you now I might end up sending you a grossly inappropriate version of Castle Smurfenstein........

• Like 1

Well, I'm also celebrating because a lot of my side projects hit some milestones today (this being one of them) and there is alcohol involved. If I tried to send it to you now I might end up sending you a grossly inappropriate version of Castle Smurfenstein........

Castle Smurfenstein? sounds interesting :)

And congrats on those side projects hitting some milestones, I know how good that feels :-D

Edited by AtariGeezer

Very cool, I look forward to seeing this running. I'd also love to get this running myself at some point. I have lots of Atari 8-bit hardware, but will need some additional pieces to get it connected to the internet, I'm sure.

Jerry Horanoff is still around, I've spoken with him recently.

..Al

• Like 1

Thanks... I'm pretty much shot... and like I said, I'm not 100% sure if it came from the floppies I had downloaded it to "back in the day" or an archive I downloaded. I started this about a year ago, and I barely remember what I had for dinner last night.

But I'll try to sort it out tomorrow and get it to you.

Hopefully the hang-over wasn't too bad :)

• Like 1

After re-constructing MAIN, ROBOEDIT and ROBOWAR, I have found some errors in those files. As soon as Tillek can get me what he has we'll know for sure.

I modified ATR Tools by adding a "Detokenize on Demand" feature where you can click on a character in a file using the "View as Binary" option after "View File" (to get the variables used) and then it will show you the detokenized result of a single line.

It's not a complete restore / fix yet, but with a little help, we'll get there :)

• Like 1