IGNORED

Carina II, RoboWar II

Timothy Kline

After re-constructing MAIN, ROBOEDIT and ROBOWAR, I have found some errors in those files. As soon as Tillek can get me what he has we'll know for sure.

I modified ATR Tools by adding a "Detokenize on Demand" feature where you can click on a character in a file using the "View as Binary" option after "View File" (to get the variables used) and then it will show you the detokenized result of a single line.

It's not a complete restore / fix yet, but with a little help, we'll get there :)

I'm copying it now... sorry for the delay.

My place is so disorganized right now (getting it organized this holiday weekend ended up being an epic fail) and I can't find the original disks... but I'm copying it from the working MODSEC. It includes my simple menus, so MAIN.TXT is the main menu A is the MAIN from Robowar.

I'm also including Zenobia. It'll be on a HD partition ATR... (I'm still cloudy on file transfer between the A8 and PC... it's been awhile but it will come back to me).

Ok... Let me know if this works for you. As soon as I can track down the original RoboWar disks, I can archive those for you as well. (They're here somewhere, I've seen them recently but I boxed up a bunch of stuff to try to make some space to organize the junk).

It's a 16mb HD image ATR so if that doesn't work let me know.

ROBOZEN.zip

• Like 3

Tillek, you should post this in the BBS section as well

I think it's a safe bet that since this thread has been towards the top long enough, anyone who cares enough to actually call has already been following it.

Plus it's silly to really promote it on a temporary address.

For anyone who was interested but got a problem with validating your email address......

I fixed the bug so it won't do that anymore. (Originally, that was your "real" address field... which had to be 20 characters or more to "validate", so I fixed that).

Thanks to those who have checked it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this strange corruption issue with WAITCALL. I use xedit to disable MOE's fiddling with cursor controls, make the changes, and save it. Do I need to reboot without MOE to make changes?

WTF?????

See attached pic for example of corruption. I used my iPhone to take a pic of the real monitor, this is not emulation.

Keep in mind that I have not yet received the RTime8 that I ordered yet. This is really strange.

post-13040-0-93557000-1488688335_thumb.jpg

Edit: Look at line 25002 and 30000. I hit break when I saw the first F<ctrl-Q>K sequence. Upon further inspection, there is the same strange string in 30155 twice.

Could my original files be corrupted, is this a MOE/clock thing, or possibly hardware?

Ideas welcome.

Edited by Kyle22

• 3 years later...

Carina 2.7 atrs, which are disks 1, 2, & 7. These atrs are set up for D1, D2, & D7 which can be  changed with some editing. I believe D7 was setup as a backup disk for the password file etc..

There is also a pdf of the manual here as well. - https://archive.org/details/CarinaIIBBSManual

As for this working on a Mac i couldn'ty tell ya.

Good luck

Edited by Triads

On 1/10/2021 at 8:30 PM, Triads said:

Carina 2.7 atrs, which are disks 1, 2, & 7. These atrs are set up for D1, D2, & D7 which can be  changed with some editing. I believe D7 was setup as a backup disk for the password file etc..

There is also a pdf of the manual here as well. - https://archive.org/details/CarinaIIBBSManual

As for this working on a Mac i couldn'ty tell ya.

Good luck

I grabbed those Carina 2.7 disks...  Thank you.... 

Also, that link to the BBS Software is pretty much useless. All the software is "unavailable".

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2017 at 8:22 PM, Kyle22 said:

Now, we just need to find source code for M.O.E.

Are Jerry Horanoff or David Hunt still around?

There is some kind of carrier detect issue with M.O.E.

If I do this:

100 STATUS #2,X:?PEEK(747):GOTO 100

The value changes depending if I have an active telnet connection to the Lantronix (as it should).

but

If I have M.O.E. turned on, it never changes. Carina never sees carrier so it sits at the wait screen.

Has anyone gotten Carina to work with telnet?

I got Carina working with a Lantronix UDS1100 and a UDS2100.  You need to make some changes to waitcall.  Now I've got it working with FujiNet, which is a lot better.

As for Jerry, he's around on the 'net.  I asked him if he had source code for Moe and he said probably not, but even if he did, we need to go through Dave Hunt (The Shadow) as he is the one who owns the rights.

I'm working on getting in touch with Dave.

Best,

Jeff

I was able to get in touch with Dave before I put up TVAG mostly to "ask his blessing".

He said he was fine with anyone running it and distributing the archive but made it clear he didn't really want anything more to do with it.  I even asked  him a simple question later about whether the ANSI was fully implemented since on my copy it looked like it was, but then disabled within the code... I never got a response.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, bf2k+ said:

I have Carina working under Atari800Win 2.5c and Altirra.

Hi, question for you.  Did you have to do anything to Carina or the settings in Altirra to get Carina working in Altirra?  I'm playing around with the copy of Carina from Amis' site, but Carina won't answer incoming calls.  I tested Altirra with BBS Express and it answers incoming calls just fine, so I'm fairly certain I have Altirra configured ok and my port opened fine for outside connections.  But when Carina is sitting at the waiting for call screen, it doesn't answer when I dial in from my other separate machine.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, Jason Young said:

Hi, question for you.  Did you have to do anything to Carina or the settings in Altirra to get Carina working in Altirra?  I'm playing around with the copy of Carina from Amis' site, but Carina won't answer incoming calls.  I tested Altirra with BBS Express and it answers incoming calls just fine, so I'm fairly certain I have Altirra configured ok and my port opened fine for outside connections.  But when Carina is sitting at the waiting for call screen, it doesn't answer when I dial in from my other separate machine.  Thanks.

IN Altirra it is important to turn off the default option that freezes the machine when the window it lives in is not in the foreground.

I run Carina II on a physical 130xe with Fujinet.  I know the code better than I know any other code, have written for/modified Carina since the early 90's.

Carina is waiting for a string from the 'modem'.  It looks for "CONNECT" and then trims the end five bytes of that string, which needs to be the DTE to DTE baudrate.  IE:  CONNECT 2400,  CONNECT 300, or 1200 or 19200.  It converts those values to Atari 850 serial commands and sets the DCE to DTE baudrate and starts welcoming the calling party to the bbs.

Carina uses DTR to pick up and drop the line, so the virtual rs232 device should be so configured as should the virtual modem to which it is 'connected'.

I modified the Waitcall to work with Fujinet.  You can get the distribution from Thomas Cherryholmes (or at least a link).  I'd put a post up on the Atari 8-bit COmputers facebook forum.  Holler if you want me to package it up again.  I did once for Thomas and another fellow on that facebook page.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

IN Altirra it is important to turn off the default option that freezes the machine when the window it lives in is not in the foreground.

I run Carina II on a physical 130xe with Fujinet.  I know the code better than I know any other code, have written for/modified Carina since the early 90's.

Carina is waiting for a string from the 'modem'.  It looks for "CONNECT" and then trims the end five bytes of that string, which needs to be the DTE to DTE baudrate.  IE:  CONNECT 2400,  CONNECT 300, or 1200 or 19200.  It converts those values to Atari 850 serial commands and sets the DCE to DTE baudrate and starts welcoming the calling party to the bbs.

Carina uses DTR to pick up and drop the line, so the virtual rs232 device should be so configured as should the virtual modem to which it is 'connected'.

I modified the Waitcall to work with Fujinet.  You can get the distribution from Thomas Cherryholmes (or at least a link).  I'd put a post up on the Atari 8-bit COmputers facebook forum.  Holler if you want me to package it up again.  I did once for Thomas and another fellow on that facebook page.

Best,

Jeff

Are you still running it on the FujiNet?

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

Yeah.  It is a neater solution than my own, cabling-wise for sure.

atari8.us 10001

Best,

Jeff

Ah, ok... I had heard you went back to the Lantronix because the FujiNet wasn't working right for the BBS.