IGNORED

Everdrive for Sega CD?

roryjr

Where would I find one of those? And are the files available for download at sites like StoneAge Gamer complete with all Genesis, SMS, and 32x roms?

You misunderstand. Rhea is for the Saturn and GD-Emu is for the Dreamcast. What I mean is someone needs to develop a CD drive emulator for the Sega CD, which hasn't happened yet. These devices have a bit more going on than a standard everdrive cart. They interface where the CD drive used to.

It there a way to get the roms and burn them onto CDs at home?

I'm a bit confused by your terminology. Do you mean CD rips (ISOs)? The term ROM is strictly reserved for a game that was stored on a ROM chip, basically cartridge based games. If you meant Genesis cart roms, no you can't load a CDR with those and run them on a Sega CD.

If you're asking about CD rips, yes you can burn a game and run it no issue on the Sega CD. There was no copy protection, only region lock. Which the everdrive comes in useful. You can burn a Japan region sega CD game and use the Everdrive to load a Japanese Sega CD bios ROM. Your other region sega cd can then load it.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 3

StoneAgeGamer is a good site to order from. You will be paying more than ordering directly from Krikzz, but SAG is still good. I have bought several from him.

For ROMs, you find them on the internet, download them and transfer them to a SD or Micro SD card (depending on what the Everdrive supports). It's pretty straight forward.

For Sega CD, there's no copy protection or region lockout, so you can make burned copies of games. You will need a program like IMG Burn and will probably have to find a tutorial somewhere online to figure out how to do it.

• Like 2

Thanks. I just want to be clear. It seems a lot of stuff comes with it from Stone Age Gamer. I've seen a lot of homebrew roms online. Can I just put them on an SD card, plug the SD card in the Everdrive, plug it into my Genesis and play? I assume the extras from SAG are for more advanced stuff than just playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sega CD Everdrive... you mean your disc burner? :grin:

Nope. There are CD console "everdrives" now. Someone just needs to make one for the Sega CD.

Would be something like this maybe. Oh yeah, the action replay cart isn't making contact in this vid so it has nothing to do with the stuff you see going on in the footage. otherwise the saturn would have booted to it first, then rhea menu to select game, then back to action replay menu, then game running.

Edited by keepdreamin

Just buy directly from Krikzz: https://shop.retrogate.com/

With his black friday sale going from Nov. 25 to 27 you save an additional 20% off.

yup, grabbed a master everdrive this time around - shipping takes a while from ukraine, but ive got like 4 or 5 of these things already and krizz really does fantastic work, happy to support him.

and when i bought my Mega ED, i don't think i even knew about the Sega-CD BIOS switching, it's such a cool option.

Hopefully sometime down the road a drive replacement/loader will be made for the Sega CD. That said, I think its low on developer priority lists at the moment. Sega CD units tend to be pretty reliable (at least I know the Model 2 is), and it's easy and cheap enough to burn discs.

yup, grabbed a master everdrive this time around - shipping takes a while from ukraine, but ive got like 4 or 5 of these things already and krizz really does fantastic work, happy to support him.

and when i bought my Mega ED, i don't think i even knew about the Sega-CD BIOS switching, it's such a cool option.

BIOS switching? Please elaborate.

Same deal with the Turbografx/Turbo Duo, etc. You get the Turbo Everdrive and you can play any HuCard you want. However for the CD games (e.g. Rondo of Blood) if you want to go the non-original route, you have to downloaded the ISO and burn it to CD and call it a day.