IGNORED

NES Classic Edition is Here!

Emehr

I have an awesome wife. She went to Target super early this morning and found herself in line with other like-minded people. Target wasn't open yet but they had 10 in stock and were handing out vouchers to the people in line. My wife was #9! There was still an hour to kill so she and the others went to IHOP for breakfast until they opened.

Long story short, this thing is tiny! and very cool! The controller feels nice and the NES is just about proportionally perfect from what I can tell. The box design is also a very nice throwback to the originals. It just needs the staged pic of the family playing Super Mario Bros. :-)

Nintendo put up scans of the original manuals here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/index.html

I hooked it up and tested it out. The picture looks great and the controls feel nice. There is no noticeable lag. I tested by playing Mr. Dream in Punch-Out and it passed the test (even though I didn't make it past a minute :ponder:). One quibble though (and maybe it's my TV or something): there is a noticeable audio lag. When Mario jumps or throws a fireball, when Little Mac throws a punch, or when Samus Aran fires or rolls up into a ball. It's there. It's not a deal breaker and a lot of people may not notice it. I also noticed some sounds being a little overpowering like the percussion instrument in Metroid or some of the higher frequency sounds in the Zelda theme. Again, nothing deal-breaking.

Overall it's a very cool, if slightly flawed, little device. Here are some pics...

post-3314-0-56998200-1478880807_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-87874900-1478880844_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-11693800-1478880859_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-60297800-1478880869_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Here are a few screenshots that should give you an idea.

If you push 'up' from the game selection area, you can choose display, settings, language, etc.

post-3314-0-95511400-1478882642_thumb.jpg

Here are the display options:

post-3314-0-63792900-1478882659_thumb.jpg

Pushing 'down' from the game selection area takes you to the save state options for that game.

post-3314-0-95608700-1478882672_thumb.jpg

The interface is very intuitive. After you push Reset after playing a game there will be an icon of the game you played (complete with little wings) and you have the option of putting it in a save slot. Pretty slick.

post-3314-0-15593000-1478883189_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-87688500-1478883223_thumb.jpg

Deleting a save slot is as simple as pressing Select and moving over to a little trash icon.

post-3314-0-52731000-1478883638_thumb.jpg

I did test a Wii Classic controller and it worked fine. 'x' and 'b' were mapped to the NES 'B' button and 'y' and 'a' were mapped to the NES 'A' button. One issue is with the clear plastic retainer clip (used for hooking the strap of a Wii remote). It gets in the way of the 2nd player port. Best to either remove the retainer clip with a tri-wing screwdriver or use the Wii Classic controller in the 2nd player port.

post-3314-0-00963300-1478883327_thumb.jpg

ArsTechnica also did a hands-on review a few days ago: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/hands-on-nes-classic-edition-puts-old-games-in-a-very-small-package/

• Like 4

1- Included AC adaptor? Did this change? I thought it was going to be just a USB cord for power.

Comes with AC plug. It's like a smart phone adapter: USB cable that plugs into a little AC brick. It also comes with an HDMI cable.

2- Is there a "Factory Reset" setting, or do you simply have to manually delete all the save states?

Yes, there is a system reset, thankfully! It's in the Settings menu.

• Like 2

The one negative that I see popping up in review after review is that the controller cords are a measly 30 inches long.

Less than three feet? When cabling is pennies a foot? That's just dumb.

My thought was that it was less about the cost of the cable itself, and more about increased packaging and shipping weight costs. Still, I agree, it's a terrible choice. But the $10 extenders seem to resolve the issue.

I can 100% confirm the audio lag. [...]

Yep, same audio lag here, unfortunately!

This and the controller cable length spoil it a bit for me (but cable extensions will take care of that problem at least), but other than that I'm really glad I got it. Takes one back 25+ years. It's awesome!

Here are a few screenshots that should give you an idea.

If you push 'up' from the game selection area, you can choose display, settings, language, etc.

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.42.10.jpg

Here are the display options:

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.42.20.jpg

Pushing 'down' from the game selection area takes you to the save state options for that game.

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.42.43.jpg

The interface is very intuitive. After you push Reset after playing a game there will be an icon of the game you played (complete with little wings) and you have the option of putting it in a save slot. Pretty slick.

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.48.40.jpgattachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.48.50.jpg

Deleting a save slot is as simple as pressing Select and moving over to a little trash icon.

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.49.29.jpg

I did test a Wii Classic controller and it worked fine. 'x' and 'b' were mapped to the NES 'B' button and 'y' and 'a' were mapped to the NES 'A' button. One issue is with the clear plastic retainer clip (used for hooking the strap of a Wii remote). It gets in the way of the 2nd player port. Best to either remove the retainer clip with a tri-wing screwdriver or use the Wii Classic controller in the 2nd player port.

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.51.21.jpg

ArsTechnica also did a hands-on review a few days ago: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/hands-on-nes-classic-edition-puts-old-games-in-a-very-small-package/

Get an extension cable. Or its possible to open up the unit and switch the ports around backwards so the clip faces the left away from player 1.

Yep, same audio lag here, unfortunately!

This and the controller cable length spoil it a bit for me (but cable extensions will take care of that problem at least), but other than that I'm really glad I got it. Takes one back 25+ years. It's awesome!

But with audio lag its not the same nostalgic feel so maybe its not worth it.

Man, 30" is is basically a deal breaker without extensions. I have 2 TVs. One is mounted over a fireplace in my game room and the other is a 65" mounted a bit high I can't imagine being 30" from. I guess I could run a long HDMI cable and set it on my couch? Woof my neck otherwise, though. The strange and annoying decisions feel so Nintendo (I say as a pretty big Nintendo fan).

Man, 30" is is basically a deal breaker without extensions. I have 2 TVs. One is mounted over a fireplace in my game room and the other is a 65" mounted a bit high I can't imagine being 30" from. I guess I could run a long HDMI cable and set it on my couch? Woof my neck otherwise, though. The strange and annoying decisions feel so Nintendo (I say as a pretty big Nintendo fan).

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for one of the aftermarket wireless controllers.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for one of the aftermarket wireless controllers.

You'll still want the console nearby for game and menu selection -- those controls are not on the joypad.

My Raspberry Pi and 3DS are looking pretty good right now. I'm sure Nintendo will get some of my money eventually, but they're not making it easy for them to take it.

I don't really understand the issue with getting up to change the game. You had to do that on the original Nintendo, and you had to do it on most consoles until very recently. Besides, once I pick the game, I plan to play It for quite a while

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 1

I heard it's supposed to come with a retro style poster too, did you find that?

Yes! Although I think it would've been better if it resembled the original posters with the grid of screenshots. Still pretty neat.

post-3314-0-91905300-1478909942_thumb.jpg

I stood in line at Best Buy this morning and picked up an NES Mini and a spare controller, but those will remain sealed because they're going to my Uncle in Florida. And a spare controller for the aunt if she wants to join in.

I plan on picking up a second NES Mini for myself but am in no rush. If stock is still short after Christmas (which I doubt), I'm sure someone will inevitably trade one in at GameXChange or somewhere.

Anyway I also got an Edge joystick (for myself) and the first thing I did after I unboxed it was open it up and take a peek under the hood:

post-33189-0-15352000-1478910696_thumb.jpg

Tickle me impressed. Build quality is vastly superior to the NES Advantage, which was naught more than a giant Dpad with a stick on top and oversized mushy buttons with silicone membranes underneath. Inside the Edge contains real snap in 30mm buttons and what appears on first glance to be a Sanwa JLF joystick. I suspect it is a clone joystick because I attempted to lift off the restrictor plate and found it nearly impossible to remove. This is fairly easy to do on a stock JLF. Oh well looks like no circle/octo gate for me then! :P Regardless, the Edge stick is fully moddable and customizable as the buttons and joystick are literally drop in replacements... :grin:

• Like 2

attachicon.gif2016-11-11 10.51.21.jpg

This explains why the press release said that for 2-player games, one player must use the NES Mini controller. I thought it was odd that Nintendo would arbitrarily restrict controller usage in this manner, but it turned out to be a physical restriction, not a software one! :lolblue:

• Like 1