IGNORED

NES Classic Edition is Here!

Emehr

SNES uses the exact same thing except one of the 3 is different, that is item 3, SNES sends back 16 bits per word, therefore SNES has no idea what a NES controller says or a NES has no idea what a SNES controller says

This is not true. The SNES sends 16 bits; NES sends 8, but otherwise the same. In fact you can easily adapt an SNES controller to work on NES by creating a patch cable. B on the SNES maps to A on the NES, and Y on the SNES maps to B. A/X/L/R do nothing though. I have played NES system with an SNES controller so it can and will work with most games. SNES is a bit different as the NES controller will not send back proper signals for A/X/L/R or the four control bits. Despite this fact, a few games like Super Mario All Stars for instance are partly playable with an NES controller though a patch cable.

given the size of that dongle, its got a micro controller in it acting as a translator, or its spoofing the uuid of official Nintendo controllers that was not a problem beforehand

given the fact its larger than my 1999 wifi usb dongle (stupid psp and its 802.11B wifi) its a half assed solution to whatever its problem is, and could have been fixed with a firmware update if they didnt already build a entire warehouse of the things, and those things were chips that are more or less the modern equlivant of mask roms, where you can not just pop them open flash the firmware and go on

which even pop them open, flash the firmware and go on is roughly 2-3x the cost of making new adapter dongles and massively increases quality control concerns, like

stripped screw bosses

ESD damage

temporary sort labor

accounting

FIFO mix up's so a entire skid of "oops we didnt update that one, it was just placed over there cause there was no other place and the forklift picked it up" shit happens

electronics distrubution is quite complicated, only surpassed by food then medical

Quad post yay! Somebody shoot me. You are indeed correct. Updating hardware is not as easy as it sounds. I'm currently "updating" mine to work with original NES. It is a hot mess right now... :P

msg-33189-0-16860000-1481067138.jpg

I updated my Emio The Edge Guide, the link has been changed. My recent ordered Edge Joystick came with the mysterious NES Classic Adapter! Yes there is a way to confirm if it is in the box or not.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1072519#p1072519

I reviewed a few Wii games with interesting results and discovered what the NES Classic Adapter appears to fix.

Interesting unique game play with Wii Rayman Origins and the Emio Advantage Stick, see the link above.

PRO_1479949412edge_joystick_front.jpg?v=

Will the Emio Edge Joystick and Gamepad return to retail shelves?
When The Edge Joystick appeared, it was seen only at Best Buy stores in very limited quantities. The Edge Gamepad was only available at Walmart, also in limited quantities. Gamestop has the Edge Joystick as "Not Available" on their website, questionable if any stores ever received any during the initial run. Both Emio controllers were put on store shelves the same day as the launch of NES Classic consoles. A line of people at every location with tickets handed out; everything sold out upon store opening!

Even with the NES Classic Adapter discovered in my recent shipment, questionable if The Edge Joystick will make it back to retail stores due to the Recall Lockout. This is a repeat history of sorts of the NES console trying to break into the store shelves after the game console crash decades ago. The building of the stores trust to carry the recalled product again. Right now stores that list both the Edge Joystick and Edge Gamepad are still locked "Not Available Recall"; maybe due to some might get returned after Christmas?

Time will tell if Emio can get these back in the store shelves, for now get it while you can just in case.
I bought my Edge Joystick from a 3rd party seller at Amazon; interesting the package was inside a perfect sized shipping box. Also in the shipping box was an Emio certificate for 10% off the next order, evidence this was bought directly from the Emio store website. Almost if that 3rd party seller has an inside connection for the fixed package? If I ever do get an NES Classic, I'll give that adapter a test. With the issues of some Dpad controlled games on the Wii, maybe still might have issues?

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 2

Mine worked flawlessly on Wii-U Virtual Console, well until I butchered it up that is! :evil:

I best guess for this issue here is that the Emio Edge joystick was not reporting a signal for the analog sticks at all, or zeroed them out. It is possible the Wiimote controller auto-centers the thumbstick signals from the Classic Controller before sending it to Wii/Wii-U, and the NES Mini does not. This means that a "0" or "255" logic signal (all highs or all lows due to missing circuitry) would be reported to the Wii as "127" or "128" or centered thumbstick. It is also possible the NES Mini does not auto-calibrate this signal, thus the entire left thumbstick registers as a hard upper-right diagonal on the Mini (255, 255) but not the Wiimote.

I'm actually kind of curious to see what this "dongle" does to a real Classic Controller with Wii/Wii-U. Does it simply disable the thumbstick inputs by returning a centered value? Unfortunately Emio never answered my email query. I really wanna see what's in the free NES gift pack. I hope their spam filters did not auto-reject my email (I attached a 150dpi JPG scan of my printed Best Buy receipt when I submitted it).

Mine worked flawlessly on Wii-U Virtual Console, well until I butchered it up that is! :evil:

I best guess for this issue here is that the Emio Edge joystick was not reporting a signal for the analog sticks at all, or zeroed them out. It is possible the Wiimote controller auto-centers the thumbstick signals from the Classic Controller before sending it to Wii/Wii-U, and the NES Mini does not. This means that a "0" or "255" logic signal (all highs or all lows due to missing circuitry) would be reported to the Wii as "127" or "128" or centered thumbstick. It is also possible the NES Mini does not auto-calibrate this signal, thus the entire left thumbstick registers as a hard upper-right diagonal on the Mini (255, 255) but not the Wiimote.

I'm actually kind of curious to see what this "dongle" does to a real Classic Controller with Wii/Wii-U. Does it simply disable the thumbstick inputs by returning a centered value? Unfortunately Emio never answered my email query. I really wanna see what's in the free NES gift pack. I hope their spam filters did not auto-reject my email (I attached a 150dpi JPG scan of my printed Best Buy receipt when I submitted it).

Read my updated link, the Rayman Origins in particular. In addition it shows what the free gift actually is.

Forgove me, I'm having trouble parsing it --is the free gift a coupon code or something? The item with blue text in the bottom photo with a wristwatch on it?

I described all that in the link. Anyways, the free gift is pictured which is the extension cable and adapter. The coupon at the very bottom is if I place another order to Emio which is the 10% off and bonus watch.

• Like 1

You know how people say that "free gift" is redundant, because of it's a GIFT, you don't have to pay for it?

A coupon is neither free nor a gift.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, and I'm grateful that you VERY thoroughly documented it on Racketboy. I wouldn't give any money to that company though.

• Like 1

I wouldn't give any money to that company though.

I think you'd double-down on that statement if you tried to order from their site. Amazon has the "version 2" from 2 sellers - 1 of them are selling it for $58.00 plus shipping. I figured I'd be safer ordering it from Emio's site, that I'd at least be more likely to get the package with the adapter directly from them. That may turn out to be true, but their ordering page is really glitchy. As in, I couldn't even see the words and numbers I was typing on the page as I was typing them in. The fields were too short to actually display anything. The summary looked good, at least. And really, for the countries to choose from - who defaults to Afghanistan? I understand how the alphabet works, but when the cart explicitly says "We currently only ship to the United States!", then default to United States in the dropdown!

• Like 2

You know how people say that "free gift" is redundant, because of it's a GIFT, you don't have to pay for it?

A coupon is neither free nor a gift.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, and I'm grateful that you VERY thoroughly documented it on Racketboy. I wouldn't give any money to that company though.

I certainly hope their "free gift" is not a coupon. I just want my damn adapter, even though I'll have nothing to use it with when I'm done with my mods. Link here:

http://www.poweredbyemio.com/home/product/details/EMI019.html

You'll need to enter your credit card # and authorize a $0.00 charge. Paypal checkout does not work. Visa checkout told me my transaction was cancelled, but I got an email in my inbox with order confirmation from Emio. That's more than I got back when I emailed them a scan of my Best Buy receipt. I still have no idea if they received or processed that email.

I think you'd double-down on that statement if you tried to order from their site. Amazon has the "version 2" from 2 sellers - 1 of them are selling it for $58.00 plus shipping. I figured I'd be safer ordering it from Emio's site, that I'd at least be more likely to get the package with the adapter directly from them. That may turn out to be true, but their ordering page is really glitchy. As in, I couldn't even see the words and numbers I was typing on the page as I was typing them in. The fields were too short to actually display anything. The summary looked good, at least. And really, for the countries to choose from - who defaults to Afghanistan? I understand how the alphabet works, but when the cart explicitly says "We currently only ship to the United States!", then default to United States in the dropdown!

Mine said Abu Dahbi. Apparently they added some more country names to the list... :P

• Like 1

Quad post yay! Somebody shoot me. You are indeed correct. Updating hardware is not as easy as it sounds. I'm currently "updating" mine to work with original NES. It is a hot mess right now... :P

msg-33189-0-16860000-1481067138.jpg

My Emio The Edge Joystick came with the NES Adapter. The "Free Offer" for first edition buyers is the Free NES Classic Adapter and Free Classic Controller Extension Cable. I am curious, how long is the cord on your first edition The Emio Edge Joystick? Unlike the NES Classic gamepads with short cord, my second edition (WiiU compatible logo on box) The Edge Joystick has a 9 foot cord.

Good luck on your mod.

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

After playing the NES mini a bit more I'm having control issues with later boxers in Punch Out. I can normally take Soda Popinski with no problem on my real NES but for some reason when he goes back to punch on the mini, I'll press left or right to dodge and nothing happens. The controller is usually spot-on in its responsiveness but for some reason in certain cases it doesn't want to react.

My Emio The Edge Joystick came with the NES Adapter. The "Free Offer" for first edition buyers is the Free NES Classic Adapter and Free Classic Controller Extension Cable. I am curious, how long is the cord on your first edition The Emio Edge Joystick? Unlike the NES Classic gamepads with short cord, my second edition (WiiU compatible logo on box) The Edge Joystick has a 9 foot cord.

Good luck on your mod.

Yeah, I salvaged the 9-foot cord and plan on using it in the future as a "cable upgrade" for the official NES Classic Mini controller, assuming I can just go in a store and pick one up after Christmas. As for the mod job, most of the work is done; I just have to clip the leads to length and solder them onto the homemade Advantage PCB. And I still need the part number for a push on / push off DPDT switch to replace the momentary switch for the "slow" button. I really don't want to have to pull the Slow switch off a working NES Advantage.

Yeah, I salvaged the 9-foot cord and plan on using it in the future as a "cable upgrade" for the official NES Classic Mini controller, assuming I can just go in a store and pick one up after Christmas. As for the mod job, most of the work is done; I just have to clip the leads to length and solder them onto the homemade Advantage PCB. And I still need the part number for a push on / push off DPDT switch to replace the momentary switch for the "slow" button. I really don't want to have to pull the Slow switch off a working NES Advantage.

Thanks, good to know the first edition Edge Joysticks have the exact same 9 foot cable. In honesty, I was hoping it was shorter; was planning to do that hopeful "Reserve" with Best Buy in case any got returned as "defective" due to not initially compatible with the NES Classic. In my case, I like the short cord since the controllers are for my Wii plugged direct to the Wiimote. The Christmas returns will not have the NES Classic Adapter in the box, you saved me that dilemma since the "Free Gift" by mail from Emio may not be honored. Debating if I should buy another backup; build quality is very good, but just two fire buttons.

The cable can easily be shortened or replaced with a longer Nintendo cable modded inside the game controller housing, just a few pins to solder.

I tested a few more Wii games and found out the SNK Neo Geo games work very well though only two buttons on the "NES Advantage". Metal Slug plays great, but a sacrifice of adjusting the two buttons thru the game menu for jump and fire and losing out on the grenades. Heavy Metal SHMUP the real surprise, fire can be set to automatic fire in the game menu and with the turbo button engaged, nice! Namco Museum Megamix work perfect, though the remix 3d games do require the analog stick with or without the NES Classic Adapter. Plugging in just the adapter alone brings up "Wii Classic Controller detected" in the game. Moving Pacman to each Arcade Cabinet also requires a Nunchuck swapped in, this confirms the Edge Joystick is strictly Dpad emulation.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Its not your controller its the lag of the hdmi.

I'm not sure about that. It's very responsive otherwise. The only noticeable lag I've noticed is audio lag. The controller is pretty responsive except during certain times in Punch-Out. Even if there is a slight lag Little Mac should still dodge when I tell him to. I'll have to conduct my own unscientific tests. :)

• Like 1

Thanks, good to know the first edition Edge Joysticks have the exact same 9 foot cable. In honesty, I was hoping it was shorter; was planning to do that hopeful "Reserve" with Best Buy in case any got returned as "defective" due to not initially compatible with the NES Classic. In my case, I like the short cord since the controllers are for my Wii plugged direct to the Wiimote. The Christmas returns will not have the NES Classic Adapter in the box, you saved me that dilemma since the "Free Gift" by mail from Emio may not be honored. Debating if I should buy another backup; build quality is very good, but just two fire buttons.

The cable can easily be shortened or replaced with a longer Nintendo cable modded inside the game controller housing, just a few pins to solder.

I tested a few more Wii games and found out the SNK Neo Geo games work very well though only two buttons on the "NES Advantage". Metal Slug plays great, but a sacrifice of adjusting the two buttons thru the game menu for jump and fire and losing out on the grenades. Heavy Metal SHMUP the real surprise, fire can be set to automatic fire in the game menu and with the turbo button engaged, nice! Namco Museum Megamix work perfect, though the remix 3d games do require the analog stick with or without the NES Classic Adapter. Plugging in just the adapter alone brings up "Wii Classic Controller detected" in the game. Moving Pacman to each Arcade Cabinet also requires a Nunchuck swapped in, this confirms the Edge Joystick is strictly Dpad emulation.

Since the first run Emio Edge joysticks put out a malformed or absent analog signal resulting in the NES Classic Mini interpreting the signal as 000 or 255 hard diagonal, I am curious what the adapter dongle does to a proper Wii Classic Controller. I wonder if it will pass proper analog stick signals (no effect), center them (making the thumbsticks useless), or mirror the Dpad signals as analog output (which would let you play games that require analog control using only the Dpad, albeit poorly).

Would you mind testing the dongle with an official Classic Controller on Wii/Wii-U to see what effect it has on operation, if any? Thanks.

Since the first run Emio Edge joysticks put out a malformed or absent analog signal resulting in the NES Classic Mini interpreting the signal as 000 or 255 hard diagonal, I am curious what the adapter dongle does to a proper Wii Classic Controller. I wonder if it will pass proper analog stick signals (no effect), center them (making the thumbsticks useless), or mirror the Dpad signals as analog output (which would let you play games that require analog control using only the Dpad, albeit poorly).

Would you mind testing the dongle with an official Classic Controller on Wii/Wii-U to see what effect it has on operation, if any? Thanks.

I don't think the Emio Joysticks were ever changed, just the addition of the NES Classic Adapter in the box. I confirmed the Joystick already are strictly DPad control having confirmed thru various Wii games. I also just added more Wii games tested back in my review guide, more confirm to the DPad only support of the stick. Sorry, I do not have just a regular Wii Classic Controller. I prefer use of a Mayflash Adapter with PS2 Controllers for the non-segment stops of the analog sticks.

Go to the OP of that Guide, I have reviews and interesting mods all indexed in the first post on the first page. A combo 2600 Joystick and NES Gampad plug in cable to a Wiimote. Also a "Twinstick" option to the Tatsunko Arcade Stick.

Wii and Gamecube Guide - Reviews and Mods - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=418963#p418963

Edited by CRTGAMER