IGNORED

NES Classic Edition is Here!

Emehr

Maximum we disagree, plain and simple. I'm not a troll I just don't agree with you and your logic.

To me OEM or as you like to put it "original equipment manufacturer" is just that ORIGINAL!!!!! Regardless of what you feel is original fact is a controller designed and made in 2016 is NOT original equipment to a controller designed and manufactured over 30 years ago.

Furthermore we disagree VASTLY on Nintendo's quality today. They make absolute garbage shit these days, so you go right ahead and take that brand new 2016 reproduction controller and let me know how long those so called quality parts last and I'll keep my actually REAL OEM Nintendo 1980's controller from when Nintendo was quality and use aftermarket rubbers that work just as well.

Disagree, that is your right, and it is mine.

• Like 1

I can't say on these but I have been very happy with the feel of previous hyperlink controllers

As far as the oem debate there's who knows how many companies making replacement nes controllers today and frankly they are very good

Nintendo just tossed them a few bucks to accommodate the new pcb and add back 2 screw bosses (most repos have 4 screws)

Edited by Osgeld

Maximum we disagree, plain and simple. I'm not a troll I just don't agree with you and your logic.

So these aren't troll-type comments?

"Now you are starting to sound like a princess who can feel a pea under her mattress."

"For someone like yourself who is so anal"

To me OEM or as you like to put it "original equipment manufacturer" is just that ORIGINAL!!!!! Regardless of what you feel is original fact is a controller designed and made in 2016 is NOT original equipment to a controller designed and manufactured over 30 years ago.

OEM simply means the original manufacturer of a product, or a manufacturer authorized by the original manufacturer, as distinguished from aftermarket. Nintendo certainly isn't an aftermarket manufacturer of Nintendo products. As an another analogy, the hood hinges in my aforementioned '69 Dodge Charger are from an '84 Dodge fullsize pickup. They were made 15 years later for a completely different type of vehicle, but they are the exact same design and from the same manufacturer; they are OEM.

And $10 isn't exactly a big gamble. I suspect the quality will be on par with the original NES controllers, but if isn't, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Just ordered a set. I've got several controllers that need refurbishing. Cleaning them inside and out helped but some of the buttons are still sticky.

Or just found this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/08/nes-classic-new-accessory-lets-you-use-your-original-nes-controller

Now you can use original controllers on the mini.

That's awesome. Now if I mod my Emio Edge joystick to work with NES, I'll actually be able to use it with the Mini (and any of my other NES accessories or custom arcade controllers)... :grin:

Hyperkin is better known to me -- presumably they will have tested this with a real NES Classic, unlike the other company?

This. Given that many clone Classic controllers are known not to work with the NES mini, I'm going to play the waiting game until we know for sure this device works with more than the butt end of a Wiimote.

Furthermore we disagree VASTLY on Nintendo's quality today. They make absolute garbage shit these days, so you go right ahead and take that brand new 2016 reproduction controller and let me know how long those so called quality parts last and I'll keep my actually REAL OEM Nintendo 1980's controller from when Nintendo was quality and use aftermarket rubbers that work just as well.

Disagree, that is your right, and it is mine.

So these aren't troll-type comments?

"Now you are starting to sound like a princess who can feel a pea under her mattress."

"For someone like yourself who is so anal"

OEM simply means the original manufacturer of a product, or a manufacturer authorized by the original manufacturer, as distinguished from aftermarket. Nintendo certainly isn't an aftermarket manufacturer of Nintendo products. As an another analogy, the hood hinges in my aforementioned '69 Dodge Charger are from an '84 Dodge fullsize pickup. They were made 15 years later for a completely different type of vehicle, but they are the exact same design and from the same manufacturer; they are OEM.

And $10 isn't exactly a big gamble. I suspect the quality will be on par with the original NES controllers, but if isn't, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Guys, I'm sure the new Mini controllers are just as good as the OEMs. But the spare Mini controllers are even harder to procure atm than the Mini itself. You aren't going to find one for $10 right now, unless you stood in line last Friday morning or got really lucky shopping online. The only part that can possibly wear out on the OEM controllers is the membrane (which is made from flexible silicone, not rubber btw, and does not dry rot the way carbon based rubber does), which can easily be replaced.

So why buy new Mini controllers for PCB swaps from an old controller when you can just bulk buy replacement silicone membranes for cheap? It makes no sense really. But if Maximrecoil wants to buy new controllers for case swap (they will likely be plentiful after Christmas) and IcemanXP would rather buy the repro membranes in bulk for a buck a piece, to each his own.

No need getting butthurt because someone else disagrees with you. And I personally agree with IceManXP that the membranes are a lot more economical and create less waste.

Guys, I'm sure the new Mini controllers are just as good as the OEMs. But the spare Mini controllers are even harder to procure atm than the Mini itself. You aren't going to find one for $10 right now, unless you stood in line last Friday morning or got really lucky shopping online. The only part that can possibly wear out on the OEM controllers is the membrane (which is made from flexible silicone, not rubber btw, and does not dry rot the way carbon based rubber does), which can easily be replaced.

It is known as silicone rubber. Some other silicone-based products are silicone oil/spray lubricant, silicone grease, silicone resin, silicone adhesive, and silicone caulk. Silicone rubber does deteriorate with age (such as via oxidation from exposure to ozone, i.e., the same mechanism which contributes to the deterioration of all types of rubber and plastic), though it is among the most resistant types of rubber to such deterioration. Also, I'm in no hurry.

So why buy new Mini controllers for PCB swaps from an old controller when you can just bulk buy replacement silicone membranes for cheap? It makes no sense really.

Because you get Nintendo rubber switches instead of random Chinese-factory switches, and you get a new shell, buttons, and D-pad. In other words, the controller will look, feel, and function like brand new, because everything will be brand new aside from the PCB and cord. So yes, it does make sense, really. As I said before, the two things aren't even comparable. One gets you new switches of unknown origin/provenance, and the other gets you an almost entirely new Nintendo-brand controller. And $10 is a good price, considering that's what generic knockoffs of NES controllers often cost - https://www.amazon.com/NES-Controller-Generic-Nintendo-Entertainment-System/dp/B000UCF9TA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=759c664a19895e3bf856c157150b614e

As a bonus you get to keep the NES mini / Wii / Wii U compatible guts, which you could use in a project such as building an arcade stick.

@Maxim, good luck finding a controller for $10 right now.

In my previous post I said:

"Also, I'm in no hurry."

And as I mentioned earlier, I have a pair of NOS (new old stock) controllers (Model No. : NES-004) for my main NES, and those will probably outlive me, but I have other NES consoles in various conditions (all functional) that I like to tinker on from time to time. I have 3 OEM 72-pin connectors coming in the mail today that I'm going to install in them, and at some point I'll refurbish their controllers. The NES Mini controllers will make perfect parts donors, assuming that everything which appears to be interchangeable with the originals, is in fact interchangeable.

The NES Mini controllers will make perfect parts donors, assuming that everything which appears to be interchangeable with the originals, is in fact interchangeable.

I hate to poke holes in your logic, but someone posted this on nintendoage. They are not the same internally, and the pads are shaped differently. The repro pads are shaped exactly the same however.

The board is a direct swap, but there are major differences. The A/B rubber piece no longer anchors on two posts and instead fits around the moulded button shafts. The shafts have changed from cylinders with slits cut for the alignment tabs and now have protruding rectangular shafts for the alignment tabs. The original anchor points are still there but they are slightly too large and the rectangular protrusions molded into the face part may interfere if used with the old style rubber (nothing a few strategic cuts couldn't fix).

The Start/Select rubber needs to be stretched to fit the anchor post. I think it also needed to be stretched to fit around the internal wall surrounding Start/Select.

The D-pad has a smaller nub in the middle and the hole in the rubber is smaller to match. The rubber is only anchored in one place more like the dogbone NES controller (original has two anchor holes). Putting this new rubber piece in an old shell is the hardest swap, but do-able. The single anchor hole is too small for either original position and the lip is too fat so you will see it overlapping the opposite post/anchor point. You could presumably notch it to fit but you'll also find that the lip's inner diameter is too small to fit around the D-pad's internal wall (yes, the lip is simultaneously too small and too large). You can stretch it over to fit and a couple slits should reduce strain so that it doesn't pop off, but you also have to cut a bigger hole in the center (or see if the D-pad plastic will swap with it).

The board and cord have all the same mount points and will swap. An original NES controller board can use the all-new shells, buttons, and rubber from the NES Classic Edition with no tweaks or modifications needed as long as it is all swapped together. I think you can swap the back shells. On a component level, the boards are completely different. The new controller uses the same custom WCP chip as the Wii Classic Controller Pro where the original controller uses an off-the-shelf 4021 shift register to encode button input. It has to be this way so that it will work as a Classic Controller on Wii/Wii U. You can't just swap cables to use it with one or the other.

When I see these on clearance I will be stocking up!

http://beta.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=5&threadid=168548

I hate to poke holes in your logic, but someone posted this on nintendoage. They are not the same internally, and the pads are shaped differently.

Don't worry, you're not poking holes in my logic, because this has nothing to do with logic. I've said all along that I'm basing it on those pictures that were linked to earlier, and I don't know for sure if the rubber switches are the same. I even reiterated that in my most recent post:

"The NES Mini controllers will make perfect parts donors, assuming that everything which appears to be interchangeable with the originals, is in fact interchangeable."

Edit: I just watched that video you linked to, and apparently you didn't. That guy did exactly what I've been talking about doing all along, i.e., he swapped an original NES controller PCB and cord into an NES Mini controller; he specifically says it now has "all new shell, all new buttons, all new rubber". The rubber switches don't fit the original shell properly, but they obviously fit their own shell just fine, which is all that matters for what I'm talking about.

Edited by MaximRecoil

"The NES Mini controllers will make perfect parts donors, assuming that everything which appears to be interchangeable with the originals, is in fact interchangeable."

It isn't. I pointed out video proof that theses controllers were not created equal. You assumed they would be drop in replacements for the original but now it is confirmed that is not the case. No need to get up in arms; just admit your original idea may not work as planned.

Sure you can do a full PCB swap but the membranes and other parts are not drop in replacements for OEM NES controllers. You made the case that you wanted OEM parts to refurbish your NES controllers, yet the OEM NES Classic Mini controllers clearly do not have the exact same build and feel to the original. I'm not sure I understand your point of view that video games must be exactly the same experience with exactly the technology in 2016 as people experienced them 30 years ago. Technology has changed over the past 3 decades and the NES Classic Mini clearly doesn't meet your expectations, so you'll just have to accept that it doesn't and move on. Nobody's forcing you to buy one.

It isn't. I pointed out video proof that theses controllers were not created equal. You assumed they would be drop in replacements for the original but now it is confirmed that is not the case. No need to get up in arms; just admit your original idea may not work as planned.

You're wrong, in more than one way, no less. For example, I'm not getting "up in arms" about anything (textbook example of a non sequitur there from you), and I have no trouble saying that something, which I clearly pointed out was tentative to begin with, won't work, if that turns out to be the case. There's nothing to "admit", because it was always provisional, i.e., an "if/then" scenario, i.e., if the parts are interchangeable, then I will interchange them.

Of course, what I've been talking about all along will work fine, as you proved for me by posting that video. Read my edit above.

Sure you can do a full PCB swap

Good grief. That's what I've been talking about doing all along. How many times have I mentioned the bonus of getting a new shell, buttons, and D-pad in the process? At least 4 or 5 times, not including this time.

but the membranes and other parts are not drop in replacements for OEM NES controllers.

I never claimed they were, nor do I have any interest in only doing a rubber switch swap. I'll repeat just one of the several times I've pointed this out:

"Because you get Nintendo rubber switches instead of random Chinese-factory switches, and you get a new shell, buttons, and D-pad. In other words, the controller will look, feel, and function like brand new, because everything will be brand new aside from the PCB and cord. So yes, it does make sense, really. As I said before, the two things aren't even comparable. One gets you new switches of unknown origin/provenance, and the other gets you an almost entirely new Nintendo-brand controller."

You made the case that you wanted OEM parts to refurbish your NES controllers, yet the OEM NES Classic Mini controllers clearly do not have the exact same build and feel to the original. I'm not sure I understand your point of view that video games must be exactly the same experience with exactly the technology in 2016 as people experienced them 30 years ago. Technology has changed over the past 3 decades and the NES Classic Mini clearly doesn't meet your expectations, so you'll just have to accept that it doesn't and move on. Nobody's forcing you to buy one.

If this were from any deeper in left field you would be in the stands. The NES Mini controller will be perfect for what I've said all along that I want to do, as the video you graciously linked to confirms.

Kosmic give up you are wasting your time.

He obviously wants to use a classic mini as he is not happy w/original NES controllers. We all know these are different and OEM to him means something completely different than OEM to the rest of us.

He would be happy using a Ford Taurus part to fix a Ford Mustang Shelby GT just because they are both branded by Ford. He fails to comprehend Nintendo does NOT make anything they have. Other companies make parts and it seems to escape his ability of reasoning that the manufacturer that made something 30 years ago is not the same manufacturer making these today. Hence OEM is NOT the same.

To me and practically everyone else in the world who knows these new classic mini's are made today and made in China like every other replacement part out there. Everything is aftermarket, regardless if they are branded by Nintendo or Hyperkin. There is a reason aftermarket starts with After.

Wen someone can't comprehend ORIGINAL, they surely can not comprehend Aftermarket.

Get some popcorn awaiting the 10 page response defending how Nintendo is still OEM when everyone knows they only put their name on stuff and don't actually manufacture anything.

• Like 3

funny how people are arguing over other people's opinion like dickheads

I take blame for that. It's my fault for telling someone who said "I'd like to know if the rubber membrane switches are the same, since those are the only parts which wear out on an original controller." that it made more sense to just buy replacement ones instead of an entire controller.

In the old USENET days, we would PLONK them.

This forum has the wonderful Ignore User setting.

For everyone else, there's

duty_calls.png

I've heard some ideas on this forum that show great efforts to preserve classic gaming and must make for an incredible play experience.

I've also heard some ideas on this forum that are pants-on-head retarded.

And I've heard A LOT in between the two extremes.

I just don't see the sense in arguing over the stuff I don't agree with. I'm not here to put down how someone else wants to play their games. I don't have time for that. If I don't agree, I'm just going to ignore your post and move on. Why some people have to make it Thunderdome is beyond my understanding.

• Like 2

pants-on-head retarded

This offensive little phrase is interesting to me, and not just because of the R-word best avoided by courteous people. I first heard it on Zero Punctuation, where Croshaw's fast-talking Britishisms are amusing for a while. As an Englishman, he of course means "pants" to refer to what we would call "men's underpants," which is a whole different image from* the blue-jeans-on-head that we Americans might visualize.

post-2410-0-71087700-1479144991_thumb.jpg

*(he might also say, "different to" which still tests my otherwise tolerant Mid-Atlantic love of diversity)

• Like 1

He obviously wants to use a classic mini as he is not happy w/original NES controllers.

Of course I'm not happy with beat up original NES controllers with torn rubber switches. I am happy with my pair of NOS original NES controllers though, obviously.

We all know these are different

For what I plan to do, they aren't different in any meaningful way.

and OEM to him means something completely different than OEM to the rest of us.

This is ironic, considering you clearly don't know what OEM means. OEM refers to a part made by an original manufacturer or manufacturer authorized by the original manufacturer. It is the opposite of aftermarket.

He would be happy using a Ford Taurus part to fix a Ford Mustang Shelby GT just because they are both branded by Ford.

There are no doubt plenty of parts from a Ford Taurus that will fit a Ford Mustang, and yes, they are all OEM. What you use the parts for is irrelevant to whether or not something is OEM. You could use a Ford intake manifold as a door stop and it would still be an OEM part. You could use Motorcraft spark plug wires on a Chevrolet, and they would still be OEM Ford plug wires.

He fails to comprehend Nintendo does NOT make anything they have. Other companies make parts and it seems to escape his ability of reasoning that the manufacturer that made something 30 years ago is not the same manufacturer making these today. Hence OEM is NOT the same.

More irony. OEM includes parts from any manufacturer which is authorized by the original manufacturer to make the part. In fact, originally, that's only what OEM referred to:

"An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) is a company that makes a part or subsystem that is used in another company's end product.[1] For example, if Acme Manufacturing Co. makes power cords that are used on IBM computers, Acme is an OEM."

To me and practically everyone else in the world who knows these new classic mini's are made today and made in China like every other replacement part out there. Everything is aftermarket, regardless if they are branded by Nintendo or Hyperkin. There is a reason aftermarket starts with After.

Again, OEM doesn't mean what you think it means. And no, not many people share your misconception, let alone "practically everyone else in the world". See above.

Wen someone can't comprehend ORIGINAL, they surely can not comprehend Aftermarket.

Get some popcorn awaiting the 10 page response defending how Nintendo is still OEM when everyone knows they only put their name on stuff and don't actually manufacture anything.

Irony again. See above, again.

Kosmic give up you are wasting your time.

Just FYI, I put him on my ignore list. no more replying to his trolls.

I take blame for that. It's my fault for telling someone who said "I'd like to know if the rubber membrane switches are the same, since those are the only parts which wear out on an original controller." that it made more sense to just buy replacement ones instead of an entire controller.

Not at all. A reasonably sane person would do exactly this. If your car gets a flat tire, do you go back to the dealership and buy another car? Hell no, you simply get a new set of rubbers. The vintage worn NES controllers are no different.

I noticed my uncle's NES Mini did not have any security seals on the box so I carefully opened it for a photo op before sneaking it back into the box. He'll never know! I've seen tons of comparison pics of the NES Classic Mini on top of it's older brother, but not with the AVS in the middle.

My RetroBit Generations preorder from Amazon also came in today. Ironically the RetroBit is almost the same size as the NES Mini. The Retrobit has slightly more width and slightly less depth. Also note the analog AV outputs.

NES Mini VS it's bigger siblings:

post-33189-0-05972000-1479268861_thumb.jpg

NES Mini VS Retrobit competition:

post-33189-0-39279400-1479268876_thumb.jpg

post-33189-0-85913100-1479268885_thumb.jpg

My apologies for not getting a back shot of the NES stack. I won't be unboxing the Mini again as it's technically not mine to play with... :dunce: