IGNORED

Sacred Tribe RESERVATION LIST

retroillucid

Ah, don't take it like that. I give lots of praise where it's due. You guys are very talented, and I just want to see greatness from all. I like my Intellivision very much and I want the community to thrive and produce fantastic high-quality games. :thumbsup:

But you have to take the good with the bad, and learn from feedback and experience. We already have too many prima donnas here that require constant adulation and cannot take the least bit of constructive criticism. Please, don't be that way. ;)

dZ.

Talking about it. What TV are you using? Maybe it has lag.

I've tested again today and Sydney is fast and responsive, the jump mechanics is smooth and very forgiving: one block over and doesn't need pixel perfect positioning.

I don't see what kind of jump you're expecting.

If you knew me well, you would know that I'm used to it

I'm making homebrew since 2008, I saw alot since then

I NEVER dismissed constructive comments/suggestions

Sorry, I don't know you well, so I apologize if I misinterpreted your reaction to some criticism of your game ("complaints," "negativity," "you can't please some people," "some people will not like your product"), as dismissal.

Anyway, on and onwards. We're cool. :)

Talking about it. What TV are you using? Maybe it has lag.

I've tested again today and Sydney is fast and responsive, the jump mechanics is smooth and very forgiving: one block over and doesn't need pixel perfect positioning.

I don't see what kind of jump you're expecting.

Good point! I am using a Sony LED flat screen. I'll find out the model. I will also try on a CRT television set just in case.

Although I don't experience any lag in other games, at least nothing perceivable.

dZ.

Back on topic,

I think a save feature if possible and a selection choice of more lives to start the game would be a great help to a game playing challenged person such as myself! :)

Not all of us are video game experts,not me for sure.

The game play, controls and graphics are perfect as far as I am concerned, great, great,great work on this game!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Oh yeah... save states, password system or even checkpoints ala Pitfall! II, would have been nice.

And for the record, I think the game is great as well! Love the music, love the atmosphere and background graphics - entire theme in general. The large detailed and colorful sprites including the way they're animated, even the creepy spider as it bobs. haha The gameplay after getting used to the jump mechanic - and speaking of, is really nice actually. Allows you to position Sydney at the edge of something *before* jumping which helps take the guesswork on whether or not you'll clear an obstacle or enemy vs. having to make a running jump in order to clear whatever. Refreshing that it's not the kind of game where you should or even need to be running around in a race against time either. Quite the opposite actually; usually have plenty of time to examine things, look for safe spots, figure out your exits and where to head next. Overall, I think this game plays extremely well and can tell was fine tuned to the uniqueness of the Intellivision and its controller. In other words, rare IMO, that an action game like this just_feels_right on said system. :)

Anyway, at 51 diamonds and 2 keys, haven't logged a ton of time yet, but am really enjoying it. Always loved Montezuma's Revenge and there's plenty here that reminds me of that great game. Gotta go... having fun looking for the secret rooms right now. :)

• Like 3

I tried Colecovision Cabbage Patch Kids and found the jumping to be similar to Donkey Kong. She jumps straight up when standing still and a consistent distance when given a direction. The only bit of trouble was on the trampoline when timing was important or she doesn't jump. Jumping control is similar to other games like Pitfall, Congo Bongo, and of course Donkey Kong.

That reminded me of Colecovision Smurf Rescue so I tried that one. This one is odd, and not because it uses the up direction rather than a button to jump. Control direction does not matter here. The first jump is always straight up and the second and subsequent jumps moves you forward. But if you wait long enough it goes back to jumping straight up. Maybe they felt not using buttons was better for small children with less dexterity.

I also looked at Intellivision Beauty and the Beast. This one jumps straight up when not moving. When you are moving the jump distance seems to depend on the run up distance. Interesting.

Mattel didn't seem to have a jumping game except Frog Bog (not considering sports). In Frog Bog the frog only moves by jumping using the disc. You can control the jump angle with one of the 16 disc directions and also control height and distance with how how long the disc is held.

Nintendo might be considered the inventor of the video game jump with Donkey Kong in 1981 and a lot of other developers did jumping similarly (Frogs by Gremlin in 1978 noted). Nintendo kept jumping the same in Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Brothers. Then I looked at the NES.

Don't have much experience with the NES but I looked at jumping in Super Mario Brothers. It's similar to Donkey Kong but a couple of extra jumping controls were added. Now if the jump button is held long enough, he'll jump higher and further. Second, you can control him in mid-air a little bit with direction. I think players appreciated the extra control.

That's as far as I went. And all my tests were done with emulators, [LCD monitor], and using an original Intellivision controller. If I missed anything or got something wrong please let me know.

Edit:

None of the jumping controls felt like a pain, or "crappy" in any of the games I mentioned. I'll add that jumping in Coleco Donkey Kong on Intellivision however doesn't feel right.

and what about Pitfall?

I tried Pitfall on Intellivision. Jumping was similar to Donkey Kong and not a problem.

I can't comment on Sydney Hunter, I havent played it.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I tried Colecovision Cabbage Patch Kids and found the jumping to be similar to Donkey Kong. She jumps straight up when standing still and a consistent distance when given a direction. The only bit of trouble was on the trampoline when timing was important or she doesn't jump. Jumping control is similar to other games like Pitfall, Congo Bongo, and of course Donkey Kong.

That reminded me of Colecovision Smurf Rescue so I tried that one. This one is odd, and not because it uses the up direction rather than a button to jump. Control direction does not matter here. The first jump is always straight up and the second and subsequent jumps moves you forward. But if you wait long enough it goes back to jumping straight up. Maybe they felt not using buttons was better for small children with less dexterity.

I also looked at Intellivision Beauty and the Beast. This one jumps straight up when not moving. When you are moving the jump distance seems to depend on the run up distance. Interesting.

Mattel didn't seem to have a jumping game except Frog Bog (not considering sports). In Frog Bog the frog only moves by jumping using the disc. You can control the jump angle with one of the 16 disc directions and also control height and distance with how how long the disc is held.

Nintendo might be considered the inventor of the video game jump with Donkey Kong and a lot of other developers did jumping similarly (Frogs by Gremlin in 1978 noted). Nintendo kept jumping the same in Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Brothers. Then I looked at the NES.

Don't have much experience with the NES but I looked at jumping in Super Mario Brothers. It's similar to Donkey Kong but a couple of extra jumping controls were added. Now if the jump button is held long enough, he'll jump higher and further. Second, you can control him in mid-air a little bit with direction. I think players appreciated the extra control.

That's as far as I went. And all my tests was done with emulators and using an original Intellivision controller. If I missed anything or got something wrong please let me know.

My experience is similar. In my opinion (yeah, yeah, I know, here we go), jumping mechanics were crude and strange in many early games until Nintendo and other similar developers came up with a more intuitive and natural mechanic. From then on, most platformers (the good ones, the ones that stand the test of time, not just through the rosy-coloured glasses of nostalgia), continued this trend of a more natural mechanic.

In my opinion, this was a breakthrough in the ingenious balance between physics, timing, directional control, and usability -- not really a technological one. This is why you can still implement such jumping mechanics in old consoles, since it is not really dependent on the technology (as long as the hand-controllers can be made to support this sort of interaction, of course).

For the same reason that many modern games coalesced in the use of D-Pads, multiple buttons, and analog thumb-sticks; while the joystick with a fire button little by little faded away; in my mind jumping is one of those evolutionary steps that made video games go mainstream.

I would love to see more platformers and other games with such mechanics on the Intellivision, using modern techniques. This is part of the reason why I advocate the development of new and original titles, rather than trying to replicate old games and sticking to primitive techniques for the sake of nostalgia.

One last thing I'd like to say, which goes to the crux of this argument. I once heard venerable video game artist Mark Ferrari give a talk on pixel art, during which he mentioned his recent collaboration with Ron Gilbert on their new graphic adventure Thimbleweed Park. He said that, in spite of the complaints of fans demanding they avoid using modern visual techniques in order to maintain the retro purity of the game, that their objective was never to recreate the 1980s; their objective was to give the fans the feeling of being in the 1980s without actually having to be there. Adventure gaming in the 1980s was hit-or-miss. There were dead-ends, impossible and illogical puzzles, annoying constant death at every turn, slow and plodding pace, and awkward story telling.

He said something like: "It's like the Renaissance Fair. You do not really want to be in the Renaissance, with the rotting putrid meat, diseases and deformations, and walking around ankle-deep in human and animal waste. No. You want to dress up in costume, eat a roasted turkey leg, listen to the music, and enjoy the scenery in a safe and friendly atmosphere."

That's how I feel about retro-games on the Intellivision (or any platform): I don't want the frustration of janky 20Hz motion and flaky hand-controllers. I don't want the annoying old-school primitive mechanics or awkward difficulty progression. I want the blocky pixels and the 8-bit music, and the "feel" of old-school games, but I don't wish to experience the crappy things of the day.

Anyway, all that to suggest to retroillucid to include a different jumping mechanic on a future game. :) I look forward to the next installment of Sydney Hunter, but if it is anything like Smurfs again, it probably won't be my cup-o'-tea. I'll still try it out. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Are you still taking reservations? If so, add me please.

Hello, are you still taking reservations? Would you ship it to Brazil? Thanks in advance.

Yes, please contact Toby here: http://atariage.com/forums/user/29693-coleco-master/

Are you still taking reservations? If so, add me please.

Yes, please contact Toby here: http://atariage.com/forums/user/29693-coleco-master/

I got my cartridge today and it plays great. I was slightly skeptical of how well it would control with the Inty controller, but the controls work really good. Outstanding job.

I played till losing all lives twice and then opened the map. I then almost completed the game, but died on the final stretch at the bottom of the map. I look forward to trying again once I get more time. :)

P.S.

I'd love to know about any cheats and hidden rooms.

• Like 1