IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Battlezone has more than just some screen artifacts. The radar display is still half broken just like it was right from their initial effort with the Flashback 3 until they stripped the game after Atari sold the property off.

Only approximately 50% of enemy tanks will appear on radar, which is a crippling issue for the game due to its importance.

Edited by Atariboy

I tried using a 2GB SD card and a 4 GB SDHC card, both formatted as FAT and FAT32, neither is recognized by the Flashback Portable. In all my tests, I created a folder called Game and I copied my .bin files there. All files begin with a single capital letter followed by all lower case letters. I do not use any other characters besides alphabetic. I am attaching the SD card instructions that came with the portable. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

post-6228-0-73369100-1482799511_thumb.png

Ha! I figured it out. Apparently Windows doesn't format SD cards correctly. You need the formatting tool from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/index.html

Now I can play ET on my Portable. ;-)

Maybe it matters which Windows you're running? I have Windows 7 and mine worked fine the first time! I'm quite amazed because I'm usually the guy having all kinds of problems, and here it worked for me and everyone else has issues...What next cats living with dogs?

• Like 1

Ha! I figured it out. Apparently Windows doesn't format SD cards correctly. You need the formatting tool from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/index.html

Now I can play ET on my Portable. ;-)

You rock!

Mine arrived today and I've tried 3 different SD cards with no luck. That format program you linked to worked perfect!

I'm running Windows 10 and have never had any issues with SD card formatting until now...this Flashback is just finicky I guess.

• Like 1

I've read a bit on Pitfall II and the DPC chip so I understand the reason the ROM won't run on the AFP. But still, I can't help wondering with all the homebrews and hacks of other games that have come along, how come nobody has ever created a hack of Pitfall II with a "regular" ROM file that will work on emulators and the Flashback & Flashback Portable?

With all this info someone should start a FAQ or something about the portable. Like what cards work, that windows 10 formatting dont work and the tool you need, etc. It's all scattered across several pages on 2 or so threads.

Sounds like a good idea! I did something similar to that last night over in the Atari.IO forums.

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/2796-long-awaited-atari-flashback-portable-is-here/

(first post)

You forget to mention that you can't use periods in the titles.

Yes you can. You can also use commas, apostrophes, and many others.

Also you forgot to mention you can use a tool called folder_sort to sort the files, and that they are listed in the order they are added to the SD card.

Or any similar tool. DriveSort is a good free one that I use.

I am new to the ROM world can you help. I have a Flashback handheld

I bought a 8GB SD Card and downloaded your ROM links.

I opened the ZIP file and have a folder on my desktop labeled game2 I loaded it on to my SD card and then inserted it into my handheld when I go to the SD feature it says loading then it all goes away and nothing happens (Everytime i click nothing happens. Can you help.Thanks

I am new to the ROM world can you help. I have a Flashback handheld

I bought a 8GB SD Card and downloaded your ROM links.

I opened the ZIP file and have a folder on my desktop labeled game2 I loaded it on to my SD card and then inserted it into my handheld when I go to the SD feature it says loading then it all goes away and nothing happens (Everytime i click nothing happens. Can you help.Thanks

The folder needs to be called Game not game2

It looks to be a pretty good FAQ. You forget to mention that you can't use periods in the titles. Also you forgot to mention you can use a tool called folder_sort to sort the files, and that they are listed in the order they are added to the SD card.

I made the changes! Thanks for the suggestions!

One more thing I found last night. I copied a bin to the SD card but it didn't show up. I changed the extension from ".bin" to ".BIN" and it showed up. Very strange as I would have thought that shouldn't matter, but in the instruction booklet they do show the extension as being all caps, so maybe it matters... Something to look out for anyways if you are not seeing all your games in the SD card list.

• Like 1

cd-w mentioned on facebook that his fixes for Juno First to make it work on the Flashback included changing the bankswitching code from:

nop selectbankX

to
    sta selectbankX

In Stay Frosty I was using both nop selectbankX and cmp SelectBankX. I've changed all the bankswitching to use sta instead, so hopefully this build will work on the Flashback Portable:

frosty_fbp_test1.bin

I've been told this doesn't work :(

• Like 2

Add me to the list of people who can't get this working.

I've tried two different SanDisk cards, one 128MB and one 8GB. I formatted each of them using the SD Formatting tool listed in this thread. I downloaded the zip file of working ROMs and unzipped it to the SD card. The folder is called "Game" and that folder (and the ROMs inside it) are the only thing on the card. I renamed all the ROM extensions to .BIN (from .bin) and tried changing "Game" to "GAME". I've tried removing every ROM except the first one. My Flashback acts the same whether or not the SD card is inserted. I get "LOADING" for a second or two before it dumps me back to the menu.

Did I read correctly that some of these units shipped with Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt? Mine does not have either of those games.

Add me to the list of people who can't get this working.

I've tried two different SanDisk cards, one 128MB and one 8GB. I formatted each of them using the SD Formatting tool listed in this thread. I downloaded the zip file of working ROMs and unzipped it to the SD card. The folder is called "Game" and that folder (and the ROMs inside it) are the only thing on the card. I renamed all the ROM extensions to .BIN (from .bin) and tried changing "Game" to "GAME". I've tried removing every ROM except the first one. My Flashback acts the same whether or not the SD card is inserted. I get "LOADING" for a second or two before it dumps me back to the menu.

Did I read correctly that some of these units shipped with Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt? Mine does not have either of those games.

I seem to recall too many people having issues with downloading and adding the entire list of games to the portable. Why not start with a couple games and see if you can get that to work first. That's how I got mine to work. I am using Windows 7 and have no issues with SD card formatting. If you are using Windows 10, you need to format it using the previously mentioned program (sorry I'm not much help with this part). The only thing that should be on the SD card is a folder called "Game". Put one or two .bin files in the folder naming them with a capital letter first, followed by lower case (i.e. Combat.bin). Plug this into your flashback portable and try it. When you get it to work you can continue adding more games. I think adding a bunch at once is a recipe for problems. I only have 60 games on my SD card because I play those 60 games. None of them are neglected. Why put 100's of games on an SD card if you are not going to ever play them? Besides, it's a pain to scroll through a list like that when you are looking for the ones you WANT to play! ;-)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

PS: The pre-production units are the ones with Space Invaders & Jungle Hunt. Just put those on your SD card and you will be good to go!

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 2