IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

FWIW, I used a new Kingston 8GB class4 SD card ($5 at Fred Meyer). No problems - didn't have to reformat or do anything other than drag the Game folder onto the card. I did this on a Linux (Ubuntu) machine which maybe generates less extraneous crap than Windows. Now I've got another 500+ games to try.

• Like 2

Quick question lads, I just added some files to my list to try when I get home from work, I added Princess Rescue and Zippy to my folder.

Do I just name them

Princess.bin

Zippy.bin

Thanks for all the work gone into this :)

Would you be able to post those roms here please? I have Princess rescue on cart but missed out on zippy (which i prefer). many thanks.

I'm not sure, but I think Zippy is not compatible on the portable.

Princess Rescue is here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215058-princess-rescue-binaries-released/

Zippy (Demo) is here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214639-sonic-the-hedgehog-aka-zippy-the-porcupine-demo/

Princess loads and works but the fireballs do not work on the AFP.

Zippy loads and works fine as far as I can tell.

Spreadsheet has been updated for these titles too.

• Like 1

Just to chip in on the SD card compatibility, I was trying some 32mb cards I had lying around for years with no joy, after trying everything.

I got a 4 gb Agfa Photo Class 10 card today, and it works perfectly straight away, no formatting needed.

I found a couple of other changes. Tomarc the Barbarian (Tomarc the Barbarian.bin) seems to work fine. Summer games doesn't need a special controller, but each event has its own control scheme. I was able to play all of the events but the 100 Yard Dash was hard because it requires moving the joystick in a circle which is tough to do with the d-pad.

• Like 1

I found a couple of other changes. Tomarc the Barbarian (Tomarc the Barbarian.bin) seems to work fine. Summer games doesn't need a special controller, but each event has its own control scheme. I was able to play all of the events but the 100 Yard Dash was hard because it requires moving the joystick in a circle which is tough to do with the d-pad.

Updated! Thanks!

Frostbite - shrinking/disappearing floes, "offscreen" enemies partially visible on left edge of screen

Meltdown - right two columns of atoms not visible

I haven't tried any of them (I didn't bother loading paddle games onto my SD), but a lot of the games listed as "dpad doesn't seem to be working" are paddle games. Bachelor Party, Bugs, Bumper Bash (uses both paddles), Canyon Bomber, G.I. Joe, Marble Craze (uses both paddles), Secret Agent, Sentinel (light gun), Shooting Arcade (light gun)

Time for another compilation of Doctor Clu's favorites for the Atari Flashback Portable.

Honestly not much has changed, about the same list, cleaned it up a little better this time so shouldn't be any trash files the Mac seems to pile on. But what did change is pretty big...

1) Fix it Felix - Cybearg has not only hacked this game to work with the AFP, but has made a version with more visibility of the characters, action, and detail than ever before.

2) Star Raiders - Nukey Shay had to do so much to get this to work. The keypad controls were changed to the difficulty switches and mono/color switch. The Dpad was not working but is now. And the display was scrolled down where the status display at the bottom could not be seen. All that is fixed and ready to play.

3) Defend your Castle - Might be one player but just fun target practice!

4) Star Castle - An old favorite arcade game of mine (used to have the arcade game growing up and played it for hours) which I am glad works on the AFP.

A lot of Christmas games like Bad Elf, Naughty List, and Donkey Kong Christmas and in truth, they are just fun games. :D

I tried finding a arcade version of Donkey Kong that worked on the AFP. I've added a file called "Donkey Kong third level" that shows a non-working work in progress of the elevator level. Hope that is finished one day. Also have Spy Hunter in there. Not completely working since you can't do the second joystick, but a fun game. Root Beer Tapper and the demo "Doctor" suffer from the screen down migration bug of the AFP. I like them anyway. And Q-Bert arcade only has one playable level I believe, which is fine since I like Q-bert but not enough to play more than one level anyway. :D

I love the attempts to make more arcade looking ports (Dig Dug arcade, Hack-Man, Pac-Man 8K, etc) so if you know of others, please let me know and I'll try them out.

Enjoy Fix it Felix, Star Raiders, and the rest of this collection. :D

Doctor Clu's Favs Rev 2.zip

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 5

Time for another compilation of Doctor Clu's favorites for the Atari Flashback Portable.

1) Fix it Felix - Cybearg has not only hacked this game to work with the AFP, but has made a version with more visibility of the characters, action, and detail than ever before.

Where? I see the ROM in your download but I was looking for the forum thread this was in......

BTW, the links on the "compatibility list" for Fix-It Felix do not work.

Where? I see the ROM in your download but I was looking for the forum thread this was in......

BTW, the links on the "compatibility list" for Fix-It Felix do not work.

Initially it was released in my collection and was not on a forum post yet. A fun way to introduce the game since I commissioned that port for the AFP to be made. :)

As for the links on the compatibility list: Try positioning the cursor over the filename or the cell to the right of the comments. A link should appear, you click on that and download the file.

I posted this on another forum, but just for completeness...

FF_TweakedB1.bin

---------------------------------

We have new games working at this link mostly thanks to Nukey Shay...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3666491

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

The bottom part of the screen with the "car count" and the Activision logo are clipped off. The original ROM is still playable.

I just tried the 'portable' version with the VBLANK fix, and it does appear completely onscreen now. Thanks!

• Like 1