IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed an issue with the final version (dated 7-11-1983) of Dumbo's Flying Circus. It plays fine, but since the final version is PAL, part of the lower half of the screen is cut off, so you aren't able to see your lives and score. I was wondering if someone could fix this, as I really like this game, and would love to be able to see my score and lives during gameplay.

Edited by Bubbabyte

Not unless you don't mind not seeing the clown when the tightrope is high (or just allow a few balloons to hit it...the remaining area will be smaller, but not by as much as the NTSC version). The final PAL version still uses too much visible screen for everything to be seen.

Dumbo(wip).bin

• Like 2

it just says "loading . . . " and goes back to the menu, formatted the card, only one folder in the ROOT menu named "Game".

Maybe it's because its a 16GB SDHC class 10??? I saw some people had them working on the AFP

what a shame :( :( :(

Just a guess, but I'll bet it doesn't like the way your Chromebook formatted it. If you can find a friend willing to format it with the "official" SDcard utility in the top post (might as well load up the ROMs on the same machine while at it) you might have more luck.

I am currently using a SanDisk 16GB (I wanted an 8GB) but 16GB was the smallest Best Buy had, I formatted it on my chromebook and set everything up correctly (or so I thought): But it will not work... :(

Is your AFP the 2016 or 2017? The 2016 version can only handle up to 8GB SD cards, period. So, your 16GB will not work no matter how you format it. I don't know if the 2017 version has been fixed for bigger SD cards - my guess would be that it was not changed.

Just a guess, but I'll bet it doesn't like the way your Chromebook formatted it. If you can find a friend willing to format it with the "official" SDcard utility in the top post (might as well load up the ROMs on the same machine while at it) you might have more luck.

I am theorizing this as well, have to find a windows (ugh) laptop; I think my GF has an old one I am going to look at it later....

Is your AFP the 2016 or 2017? The 2016 version can only handle up to 8GB SD cards, period. So, your 16GB will not work no matter how you format it. I don't know if the 2017 version has been fixed for bigger SD cards - my guess would be that it was not changed.

2017 version.

I was able to get it to run thru my TV via a normal 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo jack to RCA composite cables (most refer to these as AUX cables at this point).

I first attempted with the usual 3 line 3.5mm to video/L&R audio composite cables (I tried two of them with no luck) and then the aux cable worked like a charm on first attempt.

Once I can get the SD card to work for better games I will be quite pleased with my $40 purchase!

• Like 1

I am a firm believer in the AFP's potential, especially with the amazing talent in the Atari Homebrew scene!

X2! :) Flashback BASIC games run well on both versions of the AFP, though KC doesn't display as well on the newer hardware, the screen refresh rate must be slower than the originals.

http://relationalframework.com/Atari2600gamesonline.htm

Hi,

I'm actually very impressed how few bad scanning/drawing effects I see. Anyway has anyone investigated Defender Arcade (Portable ) , Defender II and Defender 3 as they look just amazing on AFP 2017 except the skewed ground lines as the red lines at the bottom don't line up.

Edited by thetick1

I don't Know if this has been brought up.... I would Love to see Star Castle Arcade ( http://www.atari2600homebrew.com/star-castle-arcade.html)hacked to work on the Atari Flashback portables!!!

Unfortunately, some games will never work on the FBP. The emulation just isn’t complete/accurate enough.

• Like 1

Thank you to whomever edited/posted the updated games list 12/7/17. It's wonderful. I then used Drivesort and it worked perfectly for whatever issue the FBP was having with the way it was initially sorted. Can the files be sorted by LFN prior to zip?

At any rate, I've had my device for over a year, and while I wish the screen was slightly bigger and the unit a bit more robust, I really enjoy it. It's great for playing on the crapper or in a car.

• Like 1

Thank you to whomever edited/posted the updated games list 12/7/17. It's wonderful. I then used Drivesort and it worked perfectly for whatever issue the FBP was having with the way it was initially sorted. Can the files be sorted by LFN prior to zip?

Your welcome.

I actually did use DriveSort and sorted by LFN, prior to zipping the file and saving it. Don't know why it wouldn't be sorted already when you unzipped it. See pic below on how to sort by LFN using DriveSort. (Fill in the dot for "Long Name Sort")

At any rate, I've had my device for over a year, and while I wish the screen was slightly bigger and the unit a bit more robust, I really enjoy it. It's great for playing on the crapper or in a car.

I've had mine for the same amount of time too. :thumbsup:

post-2652-0-08384000-1513709408_thumb.jpg

post-2652-0-43334200-1513709584_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arenafoot
  • Like 1