IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

What causes the rainbow vertical line that goes back and forth across the screen in 'Cosmic Ark'? Is that something that could easily be fixed?

That should be a really easy fix using the version of the ROM with the selectable starfield. That version of the ROM lets you disable the starfield with the B/W switch. If you hacked it to default to OFF instead of ON, it would be one way of solving the issue (you'd just have a plain black background). Or, you could make the B/W switch compatible with the momentary Flashback Portable button. Or, it could just be disabled altogether.

That should be a really easy fix using the version of the ROM with the selectable starfield. That version of the ROM lets you disable the starfield with the B/W switch. If you hacked it to default to OFF instead of ON, it would be one way of solving the issue (you'd just have a plain black background). Or, you could make the B/W switch compatible with the momentary Flashback Portable button. Or, it could just be disabled altogether.

Keep in mind that the B/W switch is only momentary on the 2016 version. On the 2017 version it's either on or off.

Picked one of these up at Walmart today for $39 with a loyalty card.

Somehow, I managed to get all 3.8 GB of the Arenafoot ROMset update dated Dec 6th onto a 2GB SanDisk SD card, and they all seem to work... I played PacMan 2600 original and Zaxxon Arcade...

So... go figure... I'm not asking questions.

• Like 1

Picked one of these up at Walmart today for $39 with a loyalty card.

Somehow, I managed to get all 3.8 GB of the Arenafoot ROMset update dated Dec 6th onto a 2GB SanDisk SD card, and they all seem to work... I played PacMan 2600 original and Zaxxon Arcade...

So... go figure... I'm not asking questions.

like Flojo said its 3.8MG not GB ;-)

Thanks for downloading!

• Like 1

Dur... I suppose being that I have my Cuttle cart library on a 256MB MMC card, I should have realized that this is why I have almost 1.4GB free after copying the entire Games directory onto my 2 GB MicroSD card.

Ok. Well... That explains a lot! :D :D :D

Thanks for making the image. Great time saver - and I'm having a blast with the device. I can't find any real criticisms with it at $40.

• Like 3

Keep in mind that the B/W switch is only momentary on the 2016 version. On the 2017 version it's either on or off.

That's cool, I was not aware that changed on the 2017 model. However, the above method to fix Cosmic Ark for the Flashback Portable would still work. The 7800's pause button (also B/W switch for 2600 games) was momentary and Nukey has fixed 2600 games to be compatible with the 7800's momentary button before. Also, making the default "OFF" for the starfield would be valid, as would disabling it completely.

I really wish they would do a 5200 or Atari 8 bit PC version of one of these. The 2600 stuff is great, and all... but...

We've discussed this before. It's a combination of there being little wide nostalgia for Atari 8-bit and 5200 stuff versus Atari 2600 and Atari arcade stuff. There are also few unique (and recognizable) 8-bit/5200 games available to license, at least from the present Atari's library. With that said, there will be an Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 and that will have a selection of games from a third Atari platform, but it will be in addition to the usual types of Atari 2600 and arcade stuff. So at least that will be a start (and maybe an end).

We have discussed incorporating Atari 7800 compatibility in the future in the Atari Flashback products, but that's more because it's a non-radical addition in terms of what would need to be done (just add a second button from a hardware standpoint). Again, though, it's a similar problem as the other Atari platforms. There's no wide nostalgia for the platform and few interesting/unique games to license. Still, I could see it being a possibility in 2019.

We've discussed this before. It's a combination of there being little wide nostalgia for Atari 8-bit and 5200 stuff versus Atari 2600 and Atari arcade stuff. There are also few unique (and recognizable) 8-bit/5200 games available to license, at least from the present Atari's library. With that said, there will be an Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 and that will have a selection of games from a third Atari platform, but it will be in addition to the usual types of Atari 2600 and arcade stuff. So at least that will be a start (and maybe an end).

We have discussed incorporating Atari 7800 compatibility in the future in the Atari Flashback products, but that's more because it's a non-radical addition in terms of what would need to be done (just add a second button from a hardware standpoint). Again, though, it's a similar problem as the other Atari platforms. There's no wide nostalgia for the platform and few interesting/unique games to license. Still, I could see it being a possibility in 2019.

Bill, I haven't logged in here for a while, but I've been around AtariAge for a pretty long time. I totally get the logistic and demographic challenges with the Atari 8 bit line, either 5200 or 8 bit PC - and in particular the logistic problems with the 5200 controller. I'm less interested in 7800 specific titles. The only thing that made the 7800 interesting to retro-gamers initially (IMO) was really that it had 2600 backward compatibility and supported the CC2 - so after the Krokodile Kart became difficult to get, the 7800 became the best way to get ROM games on original hardware. At the TIME, from a retro-gamer enthusiast perspective, the 7800 was post-crash before the NES rebirth and was that machine they couldn't GIVE away at Kay-Bee stores! I think very few players have nostalgia for ACTUALLY 7800 titles (or the device itself, which had controllers equally terrible, in their own way, to the 5200 controllers) - the 7800 became a retro-gamer favorite because of the CC2. :)

With that said, it seems that these things should be true:

Adding 8 bit or 5200 emulation to a Flashback should be technically trivial. A Raspberry Pi can run every emulator from this era *and* MAME, decently. The hardware horsepower to do it, and the code to do it, should exist cheaply.

The controllers - this Flashback portable already has nearly enough buttons to replicate the keypad and fire buttons on a 5200. The biggest challenge there would be 5200 games like Centipede that rely on analog control and that would be unplayable with a digital d-pad or stick. Most games don't REQUIRE the buttons to be in the numeric keypad order. You just need to be able to map the keypad function to SOME button.

Licensing 5200 titles SHOULD be cheap - because if you own 5200 titles, you're not getting ANY actual revenue for them now. If you could get them back on hardware at some bargain basement bundled price - it would be better than it being an intellectual property not earning you ANY money at all...

Finally - while a lot of people just buy these as impulse buys for a dose of nostalgia - this community would jump on a hardware device with emulation of 5200 and an SD slot that supports ROMs. It would just be a value-add, maybe... a way to get enthusiasts to jump early at full retail price rather than wait until it is at half-off discount.

Those ports of 5200 titles to Atari 8 bit, too - a lot of them solve the controller issues the 5200 versions experience with a digital controller.

I feel like it could be done, almost as an after-thought. Heck, JUST put the 5200 emulation on there with no games specifically for enthusiasts and collectors, with an SD. That should remove the majority of increased licensing costs - or with a limited bundle of the BEST titles that are the easiest converted and would work best. Qix doesn't need anything but one fire button and a digital 4 way joystick. Instead of looking at the demand for it in particular, look at it as a way to differentiate a future version from past with a value add that will attract the curious and the collectors.

/Sales Pitch

• Like 2

With that said, it seems that these things should be true:

Adding 8 bit or 5200 emulation to a Flashback should be technically trivial. A Raspberry Pi can run every emulator from this era *and* MAME, decently. The hardware horsepower to do it, and the code to do it, should exist cheaply.

The software is very well done and open source see https://retropie.org.uk/2017/09/retropie-4-3-released. I just burned to an SD card the latest RetroPie image for the Raspberry Pi based on Raspbian Jessie. I used my son's Raspberry robot and he was just thrilled to see games being through his robot!

You just need a Raspberry Pie and a case or robot. :)

Note Retro Pie supports the following emulators... the couple 8-bit emulators I tried worked very well. Not sure how well PS2 or Wii emulators (x86 only) would work as I suspect they might be a bit jerky. I might try those two on a modern PC.

3do

Amiga

Amstrad CPC

Apple II

Atari 2600

Atari 7800

Atari 800 and 5200

Atari Jaguar

Atari Lynx

Atari ST-STE-TT-Falcon

Coco

Colecovision

Commodore 64/VIC-20/PET

Daphne

Dragon

Dreamcast

Famicom Disk System

Game Boy Advance

Game Boy Color

Game Boy

GameCube

Game Gear

Game & Watch

GemRB

Genesis/Megadrive

Intellivision

Love

Macintosh

Master System

MESS

MSX

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Neo Geo Pocket

Nintendo 64

Nintendo DS

Nintendo Entertainment System

OpenBOR

Oric

PC Engine

PC

Playstation 1

Playstation 2

PSP

Sam Coupe

Saturn

ScummVM

Sega 32X

Sega CD

SG 1000

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

TI-99

TRS-80

Vectrex

VideoPac / Odyssey 2

Virtual Boy

Wii

Wonderswan Color

WonderSwan

Zmachine

ZX Spectrum

Edited by thetick1

I know it isn't that big of a deal, but can the glitch in Ice Hockey that renders the blades on the sticks invisible be fixed easily? I mean, I know the game is still perfectly playable, but I just can't get used to the fact that the sticks are missing their blades.

• Like 1

First off thank you for allowing me to joint the forum. I'm a newbie to this. I grew up with Atari from pong to a 2600 to an Atari 400,800,xl to a 130xe loved it as a kid an young teen. but I digress I got the hand held game from X-mas this year and brought back a lot of great memories I tried to down load a few games and I can't get them to work off the SD card. I formatted the card and have a file name of "GAME" and in that file there is a game with a **.Bin and when I put the card in the portable game and select sd card I get a screen that says loading and nothing happens it goes back to that same SD card screen. attached is the patch name on the SD card. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid and that is why it doesn't work. any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance.

post-63050-0-33763200-1514668208_thumb.png

First off thank you for allowing me to joint the forum. I'm a newbie to this. I grew up with Atari from pong to a 2600 to an Atari 400,800,xl to a 130xe loved it as a kid an young teen. but I digress I got the hand held game from X-mas this year and brought back a lot of great memories I tried to down load a few games and I can't get them to work off the SD card. I formatted the card and have a file name of "GAME" and in that file there is a game with a **.Bin and when I put the card in the portable game and select sd card I get a screen that says loading and nothing happens it goes back to that same SD card screen. attached is the patch name on the SD card. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid and that is why it doesn't work. any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance.

It looks like your Game folder is nested inside another Game folder. This needs to be just one layer deep.
  • Like 2

Ok thank you for the reply. I have it 1 deep now and it still does the same thing. just get a black screen that says loading..... then goes back the SD screen. I know it's something stupid I'm doing but just don't know what. the main file name should be GAME not Game? shouldn't make a difference right?

post-63050-0-40329800-1514731235_thumb.png

Format it with the SDcard utility, not the built-in Windows formatter. When you rename it you can change the name to something completely different before you try to change the case.

I would just grab the Arenafoot rom set, it's all set to go. Unzip and place into the root of your card.

Well that did it. 2 fist Not sure which one was the root cause but using that utility and I found the big file with all the games in it on page on of this thread and just copied the whole thing to the newly formatted card and it works I'm a happy camper thank you guys!

• Like 3