IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Hi everyone

Iv tried connecting my Atari Flashback Portable to tv with the red and white RCA Cables but all I get is sound but no picture, arent we supposed to have the yellow video RCA cable aswell? Its saying everywhere you just need the red and white and the red goes in to the video RCA one and the white to the white one? Also how to I get the list of games on the SD Card to be in alphabetical order, there are in order on computer but not when I go on to the unit! Any help please thanks

Iv tried connecting my Atari Flashback Portable to tv with the red and white RCA Cables but all I get is sound but no picture, arent we supposed to have the yellow video RCA cable aswell? Its saying everywhere you just need the red and white and the red goes in to the video RCA one and the white to the white one?

Well then "everywhere" is just plain wrong. To be sure it's the correct cable you MUST have the three RCA jacks as the yellow one is for your video. With only two RCA jacks only audio is likely.

The confusion is there are three RCA jacks: one for video , one for left audio and one for right audio. Technically the AFP is mono so a two cable could work but MUST be mono audio and video. MOST cables sold with two RCA jacks (especially with read and white) are for stereo audio. If you get one with three RCA jacks it will definitely work just one of the audio ports would technically not be needed.

To be sure it will work you need one like https://www.dhgate.com/product/3-5mm-jack-male-to-3-rca-adapter-male-cable/390233135.html-- In the US only $2.54 and no shipping cost!

rBVaEVfUqCyAd92uAANKWzLaWqM973.jpg

And finally I'm using the cable like above I got back in the late 90's with a camcorder. Many online sites and flea markets should have these cables for only a few dollars. When Radio Shack was closing I bought one as it was marked down to 50 cents! I just tried with my APF 2017 and works fine with my new TV.

Edited by thetick1

How do I get the list of games on the SD Card to be in alphabetical order, there are in order on computer but not when I go on to the unit! Any help please thanks

Hopefully you are a knowledgeable PC user. I don't WHY (just sloppy design by the engineers ? ) but found out from experimentation the files are sorted by last accessed. So what I do is follow the rules already mentioned in FAQ at the top of this thread otherwise anyfiles not following those rules will not even be shown regardless of the sorting process explained next. I sort by name on my PC, then I select all the files and copy to a new directory. Rename the new directory Games if not already. I then reformat my SD card and copy all the files over (just move the game dir). I have since automated this process with bash script using cygwin but that's not for the average PC user.

Edited by thetick1

• 3 weeks later...

The 2016 Atari Flashback Portable is great, it has a rechargeable battery, an AV out port, many built-in games, and an SD card slot for adding even more games! All for about $50. It's generated a lot of enthusiasm, as well as many questions.

AtGames releases these things all the time, should I just wait for the next one?

Maybe. These are generally seasonal releases, and the 2016 version is no longer available for sale directly from AtGames' online store. The 2017 version looks very similar, featuring an onboard lineup of 70 games, featuring Namco games. It will include a homebrew version of Pac-Man, and the original 2600 versions of Dig Dug, Galaxian, and Xevious. The Activision games Pitfall, River Raid, and Kaboom are featured on the display box as well. Everything we know about this to date is posted here. The extent to which the emulator and compatibility will change is currently unknown.

Have you played Atari today?

Why yes, yes I have. The Atari Flashback Portable lets me bring the chunky retro gaming experience everywhere my active lifestyle needs to go.

Thank you for this thread and the wealth of information in the OP! I just bought a 2017 model, so many games to rediscover. :D

Atari 2600 Flashback 2017 Portable - $59.99 $44.88 $25.00 Clearance Walmart

ATGames sells this for just under 60 bucks. Wow, a sweet find spotted the newest September 2017 model with 70 games at local Walmart. The Walmart website still shows full price, the local store had one left new sealed at the lower price. This was not a markdown, a regular clearance price label on the shelf. A small SD Card all that is needed to have the entire 2600 library. Hunt your local Walmarts, you just might get lucky.

Initial test, I am impressed with decent assortment of games. Sound though not very loud decent quality. Video is a very bright TFT screen even at an angle. The screen a bit small, but does smooth out the blocky pixels of the 2600 resolution.

Sales Brochure - http://www.atgames.net/resources/assets/pdf/2017-Atari-Flashback-Portable.pdf

Owners Manual - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2060/0897/files/AP3228_IM_Standard_20170619.pdf?2389041339346893335

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome you found this Aking! :)

GATES is my latest game for the Flashback Portable and the SuperCharger.

Here are some videos of the challenging gameplay and a GATES high score contest! Hope some flashback players will join in, the d-pad works really well for this game:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276511-gates-gate-crasher-atari-contest/

Can anyone guess which legendary Atari programmer inspired this game? :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you format the card using SD Card Formatter from the SD Card web site? I had problems until I used that program to format my SD Card. I also cannot use my Windows 10 computer to unzip the files because it defaults and makes the games rom media player files by default

So greetings all- I have read this awesome forum and saw the countless advice offered but have gotten nowhere through loading games on an SD. Here's the rundown:

1.) Loaded an old Adata 8GB SD card via my Windows 7 computer and it immediately worked. Dreams come true, happy day. I then tried to load more games but it immediately crashed when I tried to boot it on the AFP, cycling me back to the menu each time.

2.) I then downloaded SD formatter, did a quick reformat, no dice. Still cycles back to menu despite the games being on the card. Even tried version 4. All naming conventions for the menu files were in the proper case as described.

3.) I tried using a SanDisk 16GB card, same issue.

Are these cards too big? Why would the Adata card work then fail? Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Atarick

I know most of my cards are 2 or 4 gb max. 256 mb even better. You really don't need a large SD card for the whole collection of Atari 2600 games.

I use a 16M SD card I got decades ago from an old digital camera. I would recommend if you can find an old small SD card as they are much more likely to work.

• Like 1

I use a 16M SD card I got decades ago from an old digital camera. I would recommend if you can find an old small SD card as they are much more likely to work.

Are you doing anything fancy with yours, Tick? The 16GB one I have is a SanDisk series 10. I tried formatting to no avail. I tried loading out of the package but it didn't take. I've even tried a different AFP. Edited by Atarick

Are you doing anything fancy with yours, Tick? The 16GB one I have is a SanDisk series 10. I tried formatting to no avail. I tried loading out of the package but it didn't take. I've even tried a different AFP.

Nope just Windows 7 full format. Note mine is a very old from the 1990's ...16MB SD Card (not a modern 16GB which is 1024X larger). AtGames says use a 8GB or less. A 16GB SD Card is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

Edited by thetick1

Nope just Windows 7 full format. Note mine is a very old from the 1990's ...16MB SD Card (not a modern 16GB which is 1024X larger). AtGames says use a 8GB or less. A 16GB SD Card is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I ordered a 2GB Transcend SD card off Amazon and will give that a shot. Anyone have luck finding SD cards lower than 8Gb in a retail store? Only ask as I'm traveling tomorrow and this would be a dream for the trip.

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I ordered a 2GB Transcend SD card off Amazon and will give that a shot. Anyone have luck finding SD cards lower than 8Gb in a retail store? Only ask as I'm traveling tomorrow and this would be a dream for the trip.

Goodwill, pawn shop, garage/yard/tag sales!