IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I ordered a 2GB Transcend SD card off Amazon and will give that a shot. Anyone have luck finding SD cards lower than 8Gb in a retail store? Only ask as I'm traveling tomorrow and this would be a dream for the trip.

2gb SD Card locally, try Gamestop. Though listed as Nintendo brand, most will be established name brands.

Wii/DSi Memory SD 2.0GB $2.99 - https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/wii-dsi-memory-sd-20gb/74306

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-32-64-128-256-512MB-1GB-2GB-SD-Secure-Digital-Standard-Memory-Card-NEW-F-MP3/192232397861?hash=item2cc1f19c25:m:mUXyKZwSAcxImwcmfB9oByw

16M is sold out but the 32M is only $2.39 and Free Shipping. Also these look the same as my 16M SD Card. I also think it's cool to have a 16M or 32M SD Card that is actually very useful!

Edited by thetick1

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the game here..... but I FINALLY managed to pick one of these up tonight! That bugger is just coolness personified! I am SO looking forward to going through this thread, and grabbing all the games and info I can. But first, I wanted to give a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!! to everyone involved in making these ROMs available to us all!

I will be much more active here on the forums, and now that I finally have money coming in, I'll be buying more Homebrews for my (now) modest collection.

I am feeling SO thankful right now. Only those who have HAD to sell off the bulk of their collection(including R10s!) know how I feel right now. The feeling is SO good..... I can't even put it into words. But let me say that I appreciate this community, and all of the work you guys have done.

• Like 3

I know I'm late to the game here..... but I FINALLY managed to pick one of these up tonight! That bugger is just coolness personified! I am SO looking forward to going through this thread, and grabbing all the games and info I can. But first, I wanted to give a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!! to everyone involved in making these ROMs available to us all!

I will be much more active here on the forums, and now that I finally have money coming in, I'll be buying more Homebrews for my (now) modest collection.

I am feeling SO thankful right now. Only those who have HAD to sell off the bulk of their collection(including R10s!) know how I feel right now. The feeling is SO good..... I can't even put it into words. But let me say that I appreciate this community, and all of the work you guys have done.

Welcome back!

• 1 month later...

I bought the 2017 model, and downloaded the "Arenafoot ROMset updated December 6, 2017". I didn't like the way the filenames looked when browsing them on the device, so I wrote a small Python script to pad the filenames with spaces, making them 17 characters long, so you never see the ".bin" extension.

I should have taken a "before" picture and an "after" picture to show the difference. Some people will agree with me it makes browsing the files nicer and cleaner; others won't care. So just use this image as the "before" and imagine the ".b" and ".bi" and ".bin" stuff gone for the "after".

Should I just upload an updated ROMset zip file, for people who don't already have Python installed and don't want to install it?

Oh, and regarding the AFP itself, the controls are bad. Pressing down on the d-pad sometimes registers as pressing left. This isn't just my unit; Another one purchased elsewhere by a friend had the same issue, although it was more severe and he ended up returning it.

Here's the script. It runs on all '.bin' files in the current directory. It seems I can't attach it, so here it is as text:

rename-atari-flashback-portable-roms.py

import os

SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS = 17

for filename in os.listdir("."):
	(basename, ext) = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(filename))
	new_ext = ext.lower()
	if (new_ext==".bin" and (len(basename) < SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS or ext !=".bin")):
		if (len(basename) < SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS):
			new_basename = basename + " " * (SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS - len(basename))
		else:
			new_basename = basename
		os.rename(basename + ext, new_basename + new_ext)

Edited by Miner_1979er
  • Like 2

I bought the 2017 model, and downloaded the "Arenafoot ROMset updated December 6, 2017". I didn't like the way the filenames looked when browsing them on the device, so I wrote a small Python script to pad the filenames with spaces, making them 17 characters long, so you never see the ".bin" extension.

Sweet idea! I might do that if I do another ROM set this holiday season with the third portable!!!

I agree it would look cleaner.

I should have taken a "before" picture and an "after" picture to show the difference. Some people will agree with me it makes browsing the files nicer and cleaner; others won't care. So just use this image as the "before" and imagine the ".b" and ".bi" and ".bin" stuff gone for the "after".

Should I just upload an updated ROMset zip file, for people who don't already have Python installed and don't want to install it?

Oh, and regarding the AFP itself, the controls are bad. Pressing down on the d-pad sometimes registers as pressing left. This isn't just my unit; Another one purchased elsewhere by a friend had the same issue, although it was more severe and he ended up returning it.

Here's the script. It runs on all '.bin' files in the current directory. It seems I can't attach it, so here it is as text:

rename-atari-flashback-portable-roms.py

import os

SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS = 17

for filename in os.listdir("."):
	(basename, ext) = os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(filename))
	new_ext = ext.lower()
	if (new_ext==".bin" and (len(basename) < SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS or ext !=".bin")):
		if (len(basename) < SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS):
			new_basename = basename + " " * (SCREEN_WIDTH_CHARS - len(basename))
		else:
			new_basename = basename
		os.rename(basename + ext, new_basename + new_ext)

This looks great. Posted to the top.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know how the 2018 FB portable works with the existing ROM pack available here? I would imagine so, but just thought I would ask. Also, will the ROM pack get updated/reviewed soon? Just wondering as I am strongly considering getting a FB portable and loading it up with ROMs as my PSP plays some 2600 games well, but others not so much. At least for me anyway. Thanks!

Does anyone know how the 2018 FB portable works with the existing ROM pack available here? I would imagine so, but just thought I would ask. Also, will the ROM pack get updated/reviewed soon? Just wondering as I am strongly considering getting a FB portable and loading it up with ROMs as my PSP plays some 2600 games well, but others not so much. At least for me anyway. Thanks!

From what Bill told me is this year AFP model uses still the same emulator so my ROM should still work.

"reviewed"? - I'm not sure what you're asking here. As far as an update, its already at 1001 working ROMs out of a possible 1030 ROMs (no matter the size of your SD card), unless you use multiple SD cards like I do, then I could make another. There's not many others that work on the AFP that I didn't include already. The next file might be another 40 or so games total.

Edited by Arenafoot
  • Like 2

From what Bill told me is this year AFP model uses still the same emulator so my ROM should still work.

"reviewed"? - I'm not sure what you're asking here. As far as an update, its already at 1001 working ROMs out of a possible 1030 ROMs (no matter the size of your SD card), unless you use multiple SD cards like I do, then I could make another. There's not many others that work on the AFP that I didn't include already. The next file might be another 40 or so games total.

Hope you will release the update.

Very cool. I was just wondering if anything had been update since the latest version. Also, by reviewed I meant a physical review of the 2018 unit. I know there are lots for the 2016 and 2017 models, but haven't seen any for the 2018 model yet. I am sure it is (most likely) just like the 2016 and 2017 models, but opinions always vary.

Very cool. I was just wondering if anything had been update since the latest version. Also, by reviewed I meant a physical review of the 2018 unit. I know there are lots for the 2016 and 2017 models, but haven't seen any for the 2018 model yet. I am sure it is (most likely) just like the 2016 and 2017 models, but opinions always vary.

Oh - I haven't seen any reviews on the 2018 model, but Bill said its the same Firecore emulator built in, so no changes there.

As far as an update on my ROM pack from Dec. 6, 2017, the only change was "Miner1979er" was able to edit the file names of my ROM pack to move the ".bin" off of the AFP screen so it looks better - that's all.

Edited by Arenafoot

As far as an update on my ROM pack from Dec. 6, 2017, the only change was "Miner1979er" was able to edit the file names of my ROM pack to move the ".bin" off of the AFP screen so it looks better - that's all.

Oh I like the .BIN at the end of game name that are short. Makes it feel like a hack!!

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

Oh - I haven't seen any reviews on the 2018 model, but Bill said its the same Firecore emulator built in, so no changes there.

Thanks for putting the ROM pack together! On my portable I just got, they're in a random order... does anyone know how to get them alphabetical?

TyycbO0.jpg

Also, FYI anyone hunting for a compatible SD card, these work great: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/443917-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDSDFLS1_2GB_2GB_eFilm_SD_Memory.html?sts=pi

Edited by Redbeard25

Thanks for putting the ROM pack together! On my portable I just got, they're in a random order... does anyone know how to get them alphabetical?

TyycbO0.jpg

Also, FYI anyone hunting for a compatible SD card, these work great: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/443917-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDSDFLS1_2GB_2GB_eFilm_SD_Memory.html?sts=pi

You can use Drive Sort to sort your ROMS at http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

I was lucky enough to pick up a few 2GB MicroSD at gamestop for .$99

• Like 2

You can use Drive Sort to sort your ROMS at http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

I was lucky enough to pick up a few 2GB MicroSD at gamestop for .$99

Thanks for the tip!!

I just bought 2 2GB card's today for $2.13 with tax!

I just had to format each (Fat32), create the folder "Game" and copy and paste the ROM's into that folder and it worked like a charm. One card has my 1001 working ROM pack loaded on it and the other has the newer ROM's since my last release.

Here's: the links for the SD cards at GS:

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/wii-dsi-memory-sd-20gb/74306

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/wii-dsi-memory-sd-10gb/74305

• Like 1

I know this is a problem for people who copy files using File Explorer, but I use 2-pane file managers which just copy files in the same order they're shown (which means the order of whatever column you sorted by - name, size, or date, either ascending or descending).

This is the one I use for Windows (there's a little nag screen for the free version, but I've paid for a license): https://www.ghisler.com/

This is the one I use for Mac, but it's also available for Windows, and is completely free: https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/

There are many other alternatives. File Explorer is pretty much the worst file manager imaginable; there's no reason to settle for it, other than familiarity.

• Like 1

As soon as I get my hands on one I will hit you up for sure!

I bought 2 more SD cards (Toshiba brand) from Gamestop and loaded them up with my AFP ROM pack. If anyone got a portable for Christmas and wants to buy one - PM me. :thumbsup: I'll undercut the guy who's selling my work on eBay! :mad:

• Like 1