IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

• 3 weeks later...

Just tested Spies in the Night 2. It seems to work on the original Atari Flashback Portable, although the timer is glitched and the minute count simply replicates the first digit of the seconds count (which can hamper gameplay/judgement since the game runs on the timer). The title and floor count screens are also glitched graphically.

Edited by Tangentg
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 1:02 AM, Tangentg said:

VCS music cart works, although it's a bit sped up and has minor graphical glitches.

Hack em 16K doesn't seem to start. Star Castle arcade doesn't work

VCS Music Cart????

One of the earlier versions of Hack'em must work - I have it on my "List" as it works

Star Castle (D. Scott Williamson's) works, Star Castle Arcade does not.

11 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

VCS Music Cart????

One of the earlier versions of Hack'em must work - I have it on my "List" as it works

Star Castle (D. Scott Williamson's) works, Star Castle Arcade does not work

Good evening

I was about to ask what is the VCS Music cart

On 12/4/2019 at 9:23 AM, Arenafoot said:

VCS Music Cart????

I think I came across the VCS Music Cart when I was looking at demo carts. As you can see from the video, it has lots of tracks in here that you can cycle through with the joystick, and even change the visual style, tho it may not be as varied as Atari Video Music.

The ROM can be found here:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=71561

And as for Hack 'em, I've only tried that version. Thanks for letting me know about the alternative.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 9:23 AM, Arenafoot said:

VCS Music Cart????

I just looked at the spreadsheet again. I don't find Hack em on there. So was this list you mentioned separate from this spread sheet?

Cause basically I'm interested in playing Pac-man Plus on the Flashback Portable and I don't know which version would work on there.

Just in case anyone is wondering about the new FBP (2019), specifically regarding the issues the 2017 model had with SD cards:

I just got the new model this weekend (DG $25). It took me a couple of days to get an sd card, load it and try it out. I originally tried to find a 2gb sd card, but nobody sells them in stores anymore (at least, around where I live), so I gambled and got the smallest I could find...sdhc 16gb ($2.99 at microcenter). Works fine in the new model (but does not work in the original model, as one would probably expect).

I've been playing with the original FBP for almost 2 years now, every couple of days since I got it, but I really like the new models improvements, even though they might seem minor...

The screen is only a bit bigger, but it feels really significant...also don't notice the "angle flicker" like I did on the older model (horizontal vs vertical orientation issue). The menu fonts are better also, imo.

I haven't really used the new buttons for saving high scores, or saving state much, but I really like that they are there and I'm excited to experiment with them. It seems you can rewind game play, but only for about 7 seconds, so not sure how useful I'll find that. Be nice to go back 5 minutes or so, but maybe that takes too much memory, or something.

Plus, now I have a backup.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fiddlepaddle said:

The screen is only a bit bigger, but it feels really significant...also don't notice the "angle flicker" like I did on the older model (horizontal vs vertical orientation issue). The menu fonts are better also, imo.

I haven't really used the new buttons for saving high scores, or saving state much, but I really like that they are there and I'm excited to experiment with them. It seems you can rewind game play, but only for about 7 seconds, so not sure how useful I'll find that. Be nice to go back 5 minutes or so, but maybe that takes too much memory, or something.

Glad to hear the screen is nicer. The save states sound like they're on the same hardware as their recent TV consoles. With rewind, you can spam your way through difficult games. No more (permanent) dying! Like Tivo for games. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tangentg said:

I just looked at the spreadsheet again. I don't find Hack em on there. So was this list you mentioned separate from this spread sheet?

Cause basically I'm interested in playing Pac-man Plus on the Flashback Portable and I don't know which version would work on there.

column K of my "Comprehensive Homebrew List" - see link in my signature below 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 1:02 AM, Tangentg said:

VCS music cart works, although it's a bit sped up and has minor graphical glitches.

Hack em 16K doesn't seem to start. Star Castle arcade doesn't work

16k Hack'Em uses code on the bankswitch hotspots, which isn't permitted with the portable.  I've moved that code, but the maze image is -seriously- glitched...but playable.  No doubt the portable takes issue that I'd milked every available cycle out of the majority of scanlines or something.  You can see that test version here:

Hack'em(unfixed).bin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 10:38 AM, Nukey Shay said:

BTW the earlier 2005 8k version which AA keeps in the 2600/Hacks section works almost perfect, tho.  There is a slight misalignment of sprites when on the left edge of the screen.  Download here:

https://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=294

Actually the reason I wanted Hack'em on the portable is for the Pacman Plus game. That version doesn't have it, right?

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic, but I just bought the 2018 version AP3280...I like it a lot better than the original 2016 iteration. A few questions (and maybe it's already been answered). Does anyone get a buzzing sound out of certain games (like built in Pac Man)? It only seems to happen with a few games. 

Also, has anyone found a screen protector that works well with it? I never put one on my 2016 model and I'm wishing I had. 

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, board 3659 said:

Today it is worse than before. It won't turn on unless it is charged, and when it is on, it is just a white screen. can someone help me fix this portable, buying an other one is hard, and fixing it myself isn't going to work.

Similar thing happened to my FBP. My son dropped it and the only way it would turn on was if it was plugged in. I opened up the unit and found that the battery must have shifted during the fall, damaging one of the tiny connectors on the board. It was one of the connectors from the battery to the board.  I was able to solder the connector and it works. Sure was tiny compared to working on a real VCS!

I'm like way late to the party I think, lol. 

We stopped by a Dollar General in our area on the way home from a doctor appointment and they happened to have one of the FB Portables with the woodgrain.  It's a nifty little device!  The screen is small but workable and the games seem to play fairly good.

I'm wondering if I can 3D print a different-style D-pad for it that would feel a little better but it's hardly a major griping point. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It took me a while to finish this, but attached is my curated romset for the Flashback Portable.  I've whittled it from the sets given in the thread.  :)  It's not perfect, but I thought I'd offer up the work I've done.

The set has 741 roms; I've renamed a lot of the roms for more consistent naming, and tweaked the spacing for the most part (though some aren't 100% for spacing yet)

Enjoy!

Game.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

It took me a while to finish this, but attached is my curated romset for the Flashback Portable.  I've whittled it from the sets given in the thread.  :)  It's not perfect, but I thought I'd offer up the work I've done.

The set has 741 roms; I've renamed a lot of the roms for more consistent naming, and tweaked the spacing for the most part (though some aren't 100% for spacing yet)

Enjoy!

Game.zip 2.97 MB · 1 download

Thanks Nate!

You are a Saint in Knight's clothing!  A Gentleman & a Scholar!  An Officer and a Gentleman,...You're a Good Egg...

Thank You is what I'm probably trying to say!

Cheers!  ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1