IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Add me to the list of people who can't get this working.

I've tried two different SanDisk cards, one 128MB and one 8GB. I formatted each of them using the SD Formatting tool listed in this thread. I downloaded the zip file of working ROMs and unzipped it to the SD card. The folder is called "Game" and that folder (and the ROMs inside it) are the only thing on the card. I renamed all the ROM extensions to .BIN (from .bin) and tried changing "Game" to "GAME". I've tried removing every ROM except the first one. My Flashback acts the same whether or not the SD card is inserted. I get "LOADING" for a second or two before it dumps me back to the menu.

Did I read correctly that some of these units shipped with Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt? Mine does not have either of those games.

Make sure you use lower case "g" "game" thats all i had to do

cd-w mentioned on facebook that his fixes for Juno First to make it work on the Flashback included changing the bankswitching code from:

nop selectbankX

to

sta selectbankX

In Stay Frosty I was using both nop selectbankX and cmp SelectBankX. I've changed all the bankswitching to use sta instead, so hopefully this build will work on the Flashback Portable:

attachicon.giffrosty_fbp_test1.bin

I've been told this doesn't work :(

Juno first fix - awesome. I'm aware of the compatibility list spreadsheet online, but is there a list anywhere for fixed/patched game .bins? Or is Juno the first? Would love to get stay frosty, galaxian and pleiades patched to work with the portable.

• Like 1

Juno first fix - awesome. I'm aware of the compatibility list spreadsheet online, but is there a list anywhere for fixed/patched game .bins? Or is Juno the first? Would love to get stay frosty, galaxian and pleiades patched to work with the portable.

I've started a thread here on this. Feel free to add to it!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260514-what-games-would-you-like-to-see-hacked-to-work-on-the-atari-portable/

• Like 1

Flack, what computer OS are you using? I assume you're ejecting everything safely and that your card reader works for other things, right?

That tiny-capacity 128MB SanDisk should be perfect for this.

I'm using Windows 10. I use my card reader all the time to create images for the MiST, but just to eliminate it I tried the card reader on my laptop. Same result.

So again, to recap: I formatted the card with SD Formatter, created one folder called "Game", put one ROM file inside that folder ("Pitfall.BIN"), and the unit won't read it.

(For testing purposes, I have renamed the folder to "game" and "GAME" with no change. I have renamed the ROM to "Pitfall.bin" with no change.)

Either all the cards I've tried are incompatible, or my unit is defective. I'm going to try and meet up with someone else who received one of these and narrow it down.

Would love to get stay frosty ... patched to work with the portable.

We're still looking into it. Main issue* is I don't have a FBP to test on.

By chance has anybody tested to see if the FBP supports bankswitch detection override like the Harmony cart does? On the Harmony if you change the file from frosty.bin to frosty.f6 it would force the Harmony use of F6 bank switching.

* Actually, the main issue is the FBP's emulation isn't quite up to snuff.

• Like 2

I have formatted SD Cards with Windows 7, Windows XP and Vista and left two new cards unformatted... having tried 5 different cards now, I can't make this thing fail to read the provided archive.

Additional notes:

I used a Kingston 4GB, Class 4 MicroSD in a MicroSD to SD adapter first. Worked fine.

Second I tried (after seeing all the issues) was 2GB Sandisk SD Card. Worked fine.

Third I tried a 2GB Sandisk Micro SD card in an adapter. Worked fine.

Fourth I tried a Toshiba 1GB SD card. Worked fine.

Fifth I got a Kodak 512MB SD card. Worked fine.

So then I tried using an alternate external card reader on the original XP PC... worked fine. Then I tried using a USB to SD card adapter... worked fine.

So I am thinking... how are all these people having issues? Most likely culprit on PC is going to be Format. If any format was used, I used FAT32. So I decided to try all of these again on two other computers. One with Windows Vista and one with Win7. Formatted all cards with each and unzipped the archive again. No issues. All read fine.

Anyway, this has been my experience so far. Excellent.

MrBlackCat

• Like 2

I've added a new column to my "list" of Atari homebrews here:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArXu52QZivTrgVbQayev1Wc1QprN

• Like 1

We're still looking into it. Main issue* is I don't have a FBP to test on.

By chance has anybody tested to see if the FBP supports bankswitch detection override like the Harmony cart does? On the Harmony if you change the file from frosty.bin to frosty.f6 it would force the Harmony use of F6 bank switching.

* Actually, the main issue is the FBP's emulation isn't quite up to snuff.

Darrell,

I tried two different ways to get the ROM to work. Named it Frosty.f6.bin and Frosty.f6, the AFP had the first one on the menu but the same thing happens, loads to a blank black screen. The second does not show up at all since its not a .bin file.

Any other suggestions?

So I am thinking... how are all these people having issues?

I haven't seen a lot of people with issues mention what brands they're using. Sandisk and Kingston are pretty reliable (although I've heard reports of counterfeits), but a lot of other brands...let's just say that you often get what you pay for.

Anyway, that's just one possibility, could be a variety of factors.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

Hey Atari Flashback Portable fans, thanks to Nukey Shay we have...

STAR RAIDERS

Hold down the Mono/Color button for the galactic map to select the sector with the Zylon ships.

Hit the fire button while on the galactic map page to hyperspace!

Difficultly 1 turns on attack computer.

Difficultly 2 turns on shields.

(And Nukey fixed the previously non-working Dpad!)

You can download the game at the following link. (That way the download count will be at one spot, show Nukey some love for his hard work, and hopefully inspire other hacks, never know.) :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3661676

Video of the gameplay can be found here...

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Have you tried all outlets like Toys R Us, Target, and Bed Bath and Beyond? Atgames is not a bad site to order from but there are others.

7800 roms do not work. (But if they do someone please correct me! I would love to play 7800 Joust on this unit!)

--------

Update: So just for fun I uploaded the Joust 7800 and made a Joust.a78 and Joust.bin images. It saw the Joust.bin and crashed when trying to load (actually had to power off the system, would not recognize the menu button when pushed). The Joust.a78 was not shown.

However, due to all the entries on my AFP already, and Joust.a78 being invisible, it created a "11 of 10" page in the SD Card directory. Thought that was funny.

post-4709-0-73172800-1483297309_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 3

Glad to see this thread as there are some challenges with the Atari 2600 Portable. I like the Portable but it is limited to how many ROMs can be stored on the flash card and then displayed on the portable screen, and it does not recognize any ROMs stored in sub-folders under the parent 'game' folder. I had wanted separate folders for Commercial, Homebrew, Hacks, etc. like I have on my laptop but all must be in the 'game' folder. Also, it seems to have a max of 103 pages with 10 entries per page or at most allowing for a max of 1,030 ROMs on the flash cart. Although that sounds like a lot someone else in this thread noted that the count can be in excess of 15,000 once you include hacks, home-brews, conversions, etc. and many of us will want to experience the hacks and other variations. I am currently purging ROMs from my flash card to get the count down to under 1,030 so all will be displayed - right now I am down to 1,900 as I have removed all WIP, PAL and DEMOs. I am currently removing hacks and conversions that I will never play, and must continue until all can be displayed on the portable console itself.

Troy

• Like 1

Question about the compatibility list - it currently says that Pleaides works perfectly. With my Pleaides file (which works fine on a Harmony cart or with Stella), it does not work perfectly on the portable. Instead it just keeps playing the final level (where you are dodging between the flags) over and over and over. No way to get to play the first 2 levels. Does the game in fact work correctly for others here??

• Like 1

Glad to see this thread as there are some challenges with the Atari 2600 Portable. I like the Portable but it is limited to how many ROMs can be stored on the flash card and then displayed on the portable screen, and it does not recognize any ROMs stored in sub-folders under the parent 'game' folder. I had wanted separate folders for Commercial, Homebrew, Hacks, etc. like I have on my laptop but all must be in the 'game' folder. Also, it seems to have a max of 103 pages with 10 entries per page or at most allowing for a max of 1,030 ROMs on the flash cart. Although that sounds like a lot someone else in this thread noted that the count can be in excess of 15,000 once you include hacks, home-brews, conversions, etc. and many of us will want to experience the hacks and other variations. I am currently purging ROMs from my flash card to get the count down to under 1,030 so all will be displayed - right now I am down to 1,900 as I have removed all WIP, PAL and DEMOs. I am currently removing hacks and conversions that I will never play, and must continue until all can be displayed on the portable console itself.

Troy

I have seen some others comment on the limitation of the file handling system as well, which inspires this reply.

Approaching this issue as a software engineer... the system card reader will very likely only be used by a tiny fraction of the people who buy this unit. Of that percentage, only a tiny percentage of those would most likely ever exceed 1000 ROMs.

Your statement "... and many of us will want to experience the hacks and other variations." this might be true for some Atari Age users, but again, this is an immeasurable percentage in the scope of sales.

Scenario... let say I am writing the BIOS for the file system for AtGames. Adding a file structure reader that goes beyond the hard-coded root name of "Game" to handle a hierarchical file system structure would be likely a total veto by my employer when they learn the cost of engineering/testing it. There is some time involved to make that work reliably, it would be barely worth considering on a system twice as expensive, unless the card reader was a primary feature relative to sales. Having worked in IT accounting for most of my life, I can tell you how this would be approached... cost vs benefit to sales... I am guessing the cost of simply having the card reader in the first place is REALLY pushing it in a cost vs benefit to sales situation.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with wanting these features you describe, but if you look at it from a business standpoint, I am not even sure how someone convinced them to add the card slot in the first place. That had to be a tough sell, in my experience.

Simple fix however... multiple cards. They are extremely inexpensive these days, especially in the sizes required for these tiny Atari ROMs. :) Besides, these little screens scratch easily and you will likely want to keep it in a case, so keeping a few spare SD cards with it should be no issue compared to the added product cost of a more complex file system reader that will likely benefit on a few dozen people in the world. There are a number of game cases which will fit this unit and contain SD Card slots already.

MrBlackCat

• Like 3

Question about the compatibility list - it currently says that Pleaides works perfectly. With my Pleaides file (which works fine on a Harmony cart or with Stella), it does not work perfectly on the portable. Instead it just keeps playing the final level (where you are dodging between the flags) over and over and over. No way to get to play the first 2 levels. Does the game in fact work correctly for others here??

Yeah Pleaides is Flawed.

That is exactly how mine behaves too...

Bummer I like that game! haha...Well, that's why we have this thread, eh?

• Like 1

Yeah Pleaides is Flawed.

That is exactly how mine behaves too...

Bummer I like that game! haha...Well, that's why we have this thread, eh?

I updated it on the compatibility list.

• Like 1

If anyone cares to take a crack at the GCC Millipede proto, this is the file I dug up in an old AtariAge post from the early 2000's.

milpede__atari___prototype_.zip

I had no luck though. Like I described in an earlier post, I was stuck at the far left of the screen and while I could fire my gun, nothing else happens. Unplayable as best as I can see.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifBankswitch Conversions.zip

Also, the list says that Seaweed Assault works. However, I cannot get that one to load at all. What version of ROM is supposed to be working?

The 2016 Seaweed Assault works and the 2011 does not.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248405-please-test-this-version-of-seaweed-assault/

• Like 1