IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Say, I noticed how it's technically the Atari Flashback - Portable Game Player so it might make sense to call it the PGP but everyone just says (Atari) Flashback Portable and abbreviate it as AFP or FBP.

AFP, as AT Games also has made the SEGA Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player. So calling it PGP would be confusing, as to which one you are talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to work on a stick version a while back, but I didn't get the problems completely ironed out. It's playable, tho. Adding to the hack topic.

I sent you a PM the other day about possibly helping out with something at AtGames. Not sure if you got it, so that's why I'm posting here. Thanks.

• Like 2

Besides, even the hacks themselves only make the game playable if you know what you're doing. They're often not presentable as products imo. Like e.g. Beamrider and Robot Tank have duplicated life sprites on the left of the screen (the latter of which has other graphical glitches), and Caverns of Mars has duplicated score and fuel digits on the right side, etc. This is not what I would consider presentable in a product that's sold for money, just what us Atari fans "make do with". Granted the games that actually come with the system do not have such graphical glitches (though I've noticed a sound glitch in Millipede where the millipede becomes silent when you aren't shooting) so at least AtGames knows a bit about what they're doing, but still including paddle games and dual-controller games (doesn't that space attack thing game or whatever the name is require a second controller? I forgot the name of the game) while not providing a paddle or plug-in second cont seems a bit weird.

Edited by Tangentg

The issue is that there is little motivation to fix what is broken when you start to rely on altered games. Worse, each iteration of future portables can exhibit a whole new set of problems to work around. AFAIK, all the hacks done thus far may not work on the next version.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I figured I'd test several recent homebrew/hacks on the 1st AFP, since the details of the AFP2 are now emerging .....

Tac/Scan - hacked to work better on the AFP
Draconian -no
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aardvark (ver8) - works (fixed to work on AFP)
T-Rex - works
K.C. Munckhin Colorful AFP Edition - works
Ms. Galactopus - works (has some issues)
Hacker Face - works
Dig Dug 35th Anniv Edition - works
Handy Pick Hank - works (has some issues)
1 Monster Truck Vs. 61 Children - no
Brics - works
Kar Kombat - works but is a 2player game
T.R.A.S.H. - works (little flicker)
The Ultimate Cyclist - works
Space Game Demo (AFP) - works
Edited by Arenafoot
  • Like 2

Has anyone else tested Star Trek? When I played it, it was playable but the scoring was messed up.

I downloaded Arenafoot's file but there are still games that do not work. Tac/Scan is one of them - has anyone fixed this one?

What are the others that didn't work for you?

I'd rather expect them to improve their emulator (something I know nothing about), than "officially" rely on hacks to make games playable.

Looks like the emulator did NOT change for the AFP2, as in John's video, he is running my ROM pack from the first post in this thread.

(To: Nukey) I think I speak for most of us here by saying, we really appreciate all your work on hacking (and fixing) the ROMs that did not work on the AFP1 this past year. I'm hoping that you will continue to fix other ROMs, now that we know that the emulator is the same for both models. I know there was a point during this past year, where you were wondering if your hacks would even be needed if ATGames changed the emulator in the future. Please keep fixing more! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3