IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Not a big deal, but Pacman 4k and 8k have varying sizes of K. I'd change it myself but I don't know how. I tried adding a cmment but that wasn't what I was looking for.

I have tried various different pacman 8k roms I have been able to find over the past few days, none of them work. Pac Man 4k works fine though.

The list has been locked after the "accident" someone did deleting all the work Doctorclu, Flomojo and I had done :)

Edited by thevnaguy

I just meant the list has Pac-man 4K and Pac-man 8k. Shouldn't the both be capital or small? Or were they both actually named that? Also, how is the list going to be worked on now? Is it gonna be a couple authorized guys who do the work now? Having it open gave the list a greater chance of completion I think.

I say leave it open but make backups that can be reuploaded.

Edited by Moo

I just meant the list has Pac-man 4K and Pac-man 8k. Shouldn't the both be capital or small? Or were they both actually named that? Also, how is the list going to be worked on now? Is it gonna be a couple authorized guys who do the work now? Having it open gave the list a greater chance of completion I think.

I say leave it open but make backups that can be reuploaded.

The first letter in the file name has to be capitalized in order for the system to see it, nothing else in the name has to be capitalized. The list is being worked on regularly and it will be completed :) Even though a backup can be restored, we dont want changes to be made that we are not aware of :) I have been workign on the list daily as time allows, doctorclu has also been hard at work on it and progress is being made. :)

• Like 3

I swear I saw the answer to this somewhere, but I can't find it.

Is there a list of non-compatible SD cards? Or at least some that are verified to work? My portable is supposed,to arrive on Tuesday and I want to be ready.

I have tested Sandisk cards up to 8 gig with no problem, Lexar up to 8 gig with no problem. Have not tried a PNY or Memorex yet though as I dont have any

• Like 1

Is there a list of non-compatible SD cards? Or at least some that are verified to work? My portable is supposed,to arrive on Tuesday and I want to be ready.

Like thevnaguy said, up to 8 gb can be used. I use a 256 mb Sandisk SD card I had lying around. Being the whole library of the 2600 can fit in less than 10 mb that is more than enough space.

Ah, that's more like it. You forgot to mention you need to create a new temporary view before you can sort it. Someone should make that the default. Anyway, it's really nice to see this come together like it has. I wish the sega portables had such a list.

I don't know what you mean about creating a "temporary view", but I just opened it and went to the arrow to sort and it regenerated it in alphabetical order. Took three mouse clicks and done.

Just out of curiosity since I don't have my portable yet. If someone could please try the last version of Carrot Kingdom, I'm curious to see if it runs at all. It doesn't use anything special save for F6 bankswitching, but seeing as how some other homebrews don't work, I'm curious.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=461195

Like thevnaguy said, up to 8 gb can be used. I use a 256 mb Sandisk SD card I had lying around. Being the whole library of the 2600 can fit in less than 10 mb that is more than enough space.

There are no known restrictions. I've tested different brands with capacities from 32MB to 8GB. The only reason to this point why a card has not worked is if you don't have a "Game" directory and the ROMs in that directory don't follow the uppercase followed by a lowercase naming convention.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity since I don't have my portable yet. If someone could please try the last version of Carrot Kingdom, I'm curious to see if it runs at all. It doesn't use anything special save for F6 bankswitching, but seeing as how some other homebrews don't work, I'm curious.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=461195

game boots up but when you start to approach the stairs on the first screen the game goes back to the title screen again.

• Like 1

Received my two FbP's from eBay. These do not have Space Invaders (of any kind) or Jungle Hunt.

I only opened one box so far.

I am getting a kick out of this thing already. However, for the life of me, I can't get the SD card to load. I thought I saw someone mention specific a format type for the cards, but just went back through the thread and couldn't find anything.

I've tried FAT, FAT32 and even NTFS. I have a Game folder with just one title in it (Asteroids). It is named Asteroid.BIN. The spreadsheet has a typo: "Asteriod.BIN" I tried it both ways, just in case. :)

I've tried two different brand/sizes of SD card. 4Gb and 1Gb. No luck.

The BINs are all from the link in the first post.

Any idea what I am missing? I shall be eternally grateful for your help!

I just meant the list has Pac-man 4K and Pac-man 8k. Shouldn't the both be capital or small? Or were they both actually named that?

The first letter in the file name has to be capitalized in order for the system to see it, nothing else in the name has to be capitalized.

He's talking about the spreadsheet's Title column, not the names of the .BIN files. The capitalization of the kilobyte 'K' in the names of the two games is not consistent. That kind of thing bugs me, too.

Is Jungle Hunt a particularly well remembered 2600 Taito game? I'm just kind of surprised that it and Space Invaders are typically specifically mentioned as not being on the production-version FB Portable, as opposed to one or the other of the other two Taito games on the pre-production FB Portable, Front Line and Polaris. I'd kind of been under the impression that Front Line were more fondly remembered, but maybe that's just me being confused.

onmode-ky

What are the brand of the cards used?

They seem to have been off-brand, since they didn't have a brand on them. Your question prompted me to go dig around for another card. I found a brand new 16Gb SanDisk card. It was empty and preformatted with FAT32. I copied the folder over to the new card, but had the same results. It briefly flashes "Loading..." then returns to the main menu.

I've had that happen with an odd rom image. Try another image or group of images.

Thanks for the tips, doctorclu. I have now tried several different ROMs, one at a time, with no luck. Giving up for the night, but I'll try to figure this out later. Hopefully, I don't have a defective device.

Huh. Not sure if you can work with a .dmg image, but here is a 16 mb image with two rom images on it. Worked in my FBP.

Also created a 1 GB image from a 1 GB card with three images on it.

16 mb.zip

1 GB.zip

Edited by doctorclu

They seem to have been off-brand, since they didn't have a brand on them. Your question prompted me to go dig around for another card. I found a brand new 16Gb SanDisk card. It was empty and preformatted with FAT32. I copied the folder over to the new card, but had the same results. It briefly flashes "Loading..." then returns to the main menu.

Try formatting it with this utility. This works better than the built in utilities in Windows.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Make a folder and name it Game

Put ONE rom file in it. Name it as suggested -- the first letter MUST be capitalized, the rest should be lowercase.

If that works ...you can add more in bit by bit, if you want to do things the hard way!

Or you can use the Game folder I posted in the top of this thread, it's known to work. Just unzip and drop it in the root of your newly formatted SD card.

I doubt you have bad hardware. The AFP is just fussy with file names, and a single bad one will keep it from loading.

• Like 1

I have tested Sandisk cards up to 8 gig with no problem, Lexar up to 8 gig with no problem. Have not tried a PNY or Memorex yet though as I dont have any

Thank you guys for all the work on the list! I have been going through lots of them. :D

I am using Kingston Micro SD HC Class4. (adapted to SD of course) It works fine. :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat