IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable FAQ and Compatibility List

Try formatting it with this utility. This works better than the built in utilities in Windows.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Make a folder and name it Game

Put ONE rom file in it. Name it as suggested -- the first letter MUST be capitalized, the rest should be lowercase.

If that works ...you can add more in bit by bit, if you want to do things the hard way!

Or you can use the Game folder I posted in the top of this thread, it's known to work. Just unzip and drop it in the root of your newly formatted SD card.

I doubt you have bad hardware. The AFP is just fussy with file names, and a single bad one will keep it from losing.

Looks like that format tool did the trick!

Thank you very much, Flojomojo and doctorclu!

Now it's game on! :)

• Like 2

Awesome thread, fellas... Thanks so much for taking the time to compile this list and experimenting with various ROMs for function.

A couple of questions though: Is there a proper way of getting the hacked ROMs to load and play in the flashback portable? Is the emulator designed to recognize a particular ROM name (hence the capitalized first letter in the name), file size, or something else in order to play? Or will it try to take anything you throw at it as long as it has the proper upper/lower case name? If I tried putting in a hack of a Pac Man ROM, would I need to actually rename that ROM "Pacman.bin" or would I just keep the hacked name, like "Pacmanplus_hack.bin" when I place it in to the GAME folder? I know that a lot of these hacks simply won't work on the FB, but for those that do, I just want to know what to do to get them running.

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to sort the ROMs in the FB menu or some way to put multiple folders for sorting? ...I'm fairly sure that it isn't possible, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, is anyone planning on compiling another ZIP file of hacked ROMs that work on the flashback for easy download, like was done for the official games at the beginning of this thread? ...I'd be awesome to have a "master" game folder of every game and hack known to work (minus all the games that are just simple revisions of the same game, of course).

Thanks again for your efforts! I'm loving this little device!

• Like 1

Or will it try to take anything you throw at it as long as it has the proper upper/lower case name? If I tried putting in a hack of a Pac Man ROM, would I need to actually rename that ROM "Pacman.bin" or would I just keep the hacked name, like "Pacmanplus_hack.bin" when I place it in to the GAME folder?

^^ that's how it works.

It would be easy enough for someone to make a trimmed file that only contains working, playable stuff -- just cut out the ROMs that don't work. Have at it!

• Like 1

You really need to revise the included roms it sounds like. Ones that don't work shouldn't even be included.

Go for it! The list is freely available, as are the files.

For someone who says he isn't interested in buying one of these, you sure have a lot of opinions about what other people should do.

You can contribute, or not, but you really should stop complaining.

• Like 2

Awesome thread, fellas... Thanks so much for taking the time to compile this list and experimenting with various ROMs for function.

A couple of questions though: Is there a proper way of getting the hacked ROMs to load and play in the flashback portable? Is the emulator designed to recognize a particular ROM name (hence the capitalized first letter in the name), file size, or something else in order to play? Or will it try to take anything you throw at it as long as it has the proper upper/lower case name? If I tried putting in a hack of a Pac Man ROM, would I need to actually rename that ROM "Pacman.bin" or would I just keep the hacked name, like "Pacmanplus_hack.bin" when I place it in to the GAME folder? I know that a lot of these hacks simply won't work on the FB, but for those that do, I just want to know what to do to get them running.

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to sort the ROMs in the FB menu or some way to put multiple folders for sorting? ...I'm fairly sure that it isn't possible, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, is anyone planning on compiling another ZIP file of hacked ROMs that work on the flashback for easy download, like was done for the official games at the beginning of this thread? ...I'd be awesome to have a "master" game folder of every game and hack known to work (minus all the games that are just simple revisions of the same game, of course).

Thanks again for your efforts! I'm loving this little device!

As long as there first letter of the file is capitalized I am pretty sure you can call it whatever you would like. I am not sure about others but I have been keeping my file names to 13 characters or less so I can read them in the menu. The easiest way for alphabetized them is to keep a folder on your desktop called 'Game' and put in the working files as you figure them out or have what you want. Once done with testing, empty the sd card altogether and then copy in the 'Game' folder form your desktop that has them sorted. If you keep adding files as hoc to the SD card, they don't seem to alphabetized in the menu.
  • Like 2

Ah, that's more like it. You forgot to mention you need to create a new temporary view before you can sort it. Someone should make that the default. Anyway, it's really nice to see this come together like it has. I wish the sega portables had such a list.

Like this? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234382-list-of-games-that-dont-work-on-the-atgames-genesis-ultimate-portable/

• Like 2

Thanks so much for this Flojomojo! And everyone else!

I haven't always had the best of luck with ROMs...I've even had a computer in the past filled with corrupt files, so stuff that should work didn't, but I digress...

I actually half expected it not to work...because I've had bad luck in the past I guess...

But with help from this thread, adding ROMs was easy as pie in July...And worked like a dream!

Cheers!

• Like 2

I was thinking of contributing by making a mdb so games that work show images, but if you guys aren't pruning your rom compilations then i'd be the only one putting effort into anything. I can't even get anyone to try out the mdb I made, so Forget about that. People only respond to stickied threads in this forum section. Noone even downloaded it once.

I was thinking of contributing by making a mdb so games that work show images, but if you guys aren't pruning your rom compilations then i'd be the only one putting effort into anything. I can't even get anyone to try out the mdb I made, so Forget about that. People only respond to stickied threads in this forum section. Noone even downloaded it once.

what is the post number in this thread that has your test mdb, I never saw it. Also once the list is complete I am sure a rom compilation can be done to only have working roms in it. This main list needs to show everything so time is not wasted retesting the same roms over and over again. the list can be easily downloaded in a Xls file and sorted and edited per that persons requirements.

what is the post number in this thread that has your test mdb, I never saw it. Also once the list is complete I am sure a rom compilation can be done to only have working roms in it. This main list needs to show everything so time is not wasted retesting the same roms over and over again. the list can be easily downloaded in a Xls file and sorted and edited per that persons requirements.

I was talking about this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259269-add-custom-sd-card-menu-images/?p=3636553

Hey ComputerSpaceFan, I've written Cybearg to see if a tweaked version of Fix It Felix can be made for the Flashback Portable. We'll see what's possible.

In the meantime I've attached a video of the gameplay of Fix It Felix on the FBP (Flashback Portable).

As I said, still a fun game.

Cybearg has been helpful getting the Fix It Felix game working more in line with what the Flashback Portable more news on this in the near future.

• Like 3

My family picked up one of these for me for Christmas so I don't have my hands on it yet, sadly I mainly wanted it for Berzerk =P.

So going by the testing from doctorclu on page 1 the Mr. Roboto hack is my best bet as far as being the best working version that's closest to the original game?

Edited by Obviously

Can someone please post a link to the PacMan 4k Rom that works on the portable so we know which one works? There are two different authors and several revisions. Thanks in advance!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/page-28?do=findComment&comment=3186651

Uncompress the rar file and make sure you follow the naming convention. i.e., capital then lower case letters and ending with .bin

I just picked mine up this weekend from a not too distant US parcel center and I have to say that the Atari Flashback Portable is a fairly neat device for what it is, especially with all the titles, including homebrew and hacks, that actually work with this system using a SD card. Hopefully the next iteration will improve upon the compatibility. (And yes, mine was direct from AtGames with Space Invaders. ;))

Edited by atwwong
  • Like 2

I wanted to add a few results to the list...Shall I just put them here? (I don't want to mess with the list).

Crazy Balloon works

Elevators Amiss works

Encaved works

Enigma Machine seems to work, but I don't know how to play it so I can't be sure

Fall Down works

JoustPong works

Synthcart will make noise but I doubt it's working properly

Swoops! The 1st and 3rd games work. The 2nd game does not work. And I believe the 4th game partially works...If it is made up of the other 3 games (and this is a guess) then it will partially work.

That's all I have for now that isn't already on the list, but I wanted to contribute a little...

• Like 1

By the way, I was thinking about how games like Defender 2 would work considering you need both joysticks to play them (i.e. 2nd joystick for using the smart bombs). I know there have been hacks for a two button controller to use the smart bombs on the same controller, but could someone please try the ROM in this thread to see if one of the other buttons on the portable would work with it?

• Like 1

That's a great idea for a hack. The color/BW switch or difficulty switches would be good candidates. Those roms expecting a Genesis controller won't do it, as the Flashback Portable's buttons all have hardware functions assigned to them already.

That's what I was wondering. Maybe some kind soul who has the ability or know how to do this could produce some two button hacks for the portable?