IGNORED

Thea Realm Fighters early demo pre-alpha

nicolaspersijn

Obsolete? I'm sorry but even in this state this would have kicked Ultra Vortek's ass (and i do like that game)

Pfft... say what you will but Ultra Vortek kicked ass. This is, after all, just a demo. The sounds though! ;-)

Speaking of, is the beta of that available too?

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 1

so was i playing skycopter with two jaguar controllers, still does not make it good!

the 'demo' is probably all there is to this obsolete game

Obsolete? I'm sorry but even in this state this would have kicked Ultra Vortek's ass (and i do like that game)

Thanks for the video, that's saved a flash-cycle on the skunk for what truly looks like a gigantic turd :)

Could it move any slower? (Oh, wait, Fight for Life.. never mind)

im not the only one then ! :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the video, that's saved a flash-cycle on the skunk for what truly looks like a gigantic turd :)

Yeah it's not very impressive at all. If I could say one positive thing about it...... Maybe the city background is good? That's about it. And the water that's supposed to be there isn't even there just pixelated garbage so even the backgrounds aren't finished. It's definitely an EARLY version that's for sure, not much of a game at all here. But hey it's still nice to see it after all these years.

Thanks again Nick for sharing!

• Like 1

I don't think the video is from a real Jag is it? That start-up 'fuzz' looks exactly like Virtual Jaguar.

It runs faster than that on my Mac...which definitely isn't a particularly fast machine for Virtual Jaguar stuff. I haven't played it on the Jag yet, probably won't be able to for a while.

The parallax / line-scrolling on the ground (present in Kasumi Ninja but oddly and noticeably absent in Ultra Vortek) and the layers of parallax are quite nice. It's obviously quite early, but there's potential there if whoever was making it cared for or understood good 1990s fighting game gameplay. Why Atari / Hand Made Software didn't use this stuff to build up libraries (assuming it was possible) and then build on the efficiency of the fighting engine / sprite handling etc (more frames!) I don't know. If they had, a 'new' game like this shouldn't have taken forever to come out....or not come out as the case may be ;).

Saving money and time on things like this and prioritising MK3 would've been 'smarter' at the time.

Still, it's definitely cool to finally see / have.