IGNORED

Buy a real nintendo instead...

The mini is hard to find. Not bad at 60 dollars and a lot cheaper than buying a real nintendo and all the games. But at ebay scalped prices of 500 to 1000 in the mean time it is cheaper to ebay an original and all the games. Here is what it would cost to buy a real nintendo and all the 30 games the mini has.

http://www.polygon.com/nintendo/2016/11/13/13615518/nintendo-classic-edition-ebay-sales

Grand total $206.28.

But where are they getting their prices from? If you click "castlevania" for example it is $4.35 shipping. But its not $4.36. Its still $2.50 now being bidded. Not $4.36. Still interesting thought to see how much it would all cost.

• Like 1

This article flat-out sucks. A lot of the flavour text used to describe some of these games and their prices made me visibly wince. No better than kotaku, they're both just two sides of the same "muh childhooooood / whoa haha nerd culture, right?" coin.

Also, their prices are completely misleading. $6.49 for an NES AND StarTropics, my ass. Even if it was missing a 72-pin, it wouldn't be that cheap. The line about the extra screw in the cartridge was pretty dumb as well. Clearly this writer has no idea what he's talking about.

• Like 3

This article flat-out sucks. A lot of the flavour text used to describe some of these games and their prices made me visibly wince. No better than kotaku, they're both just two sides of the same "muh childhooooood / whoa haha nerd culture, right?" coin.

Also, their prices are completely misleading. $6.49 for an NES AND StarTropics, my ass. Even if it was missing a 72-pin, it wouldn't be that cheap. The line about the extra screw in the cartridge was pretty dumb as well. Clearly this writer has no idea what he's talking about.

The author linked to the eBay auction in the article, and I'm sure the bid was at $6.49 at the time. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of an auction though. The winning bid was $31.74 plus $11.74 shipping. That's a pretty good deal for a NES console that doesn't appear to be yellowed or cracked/chipped, with two original controllers, power brick, A/V cables, and a game, though it's obviously a far cry from $6.49. The blinking light is a non-issue, assuming it has its original 72-pin connector. A proper cleaning will make it work like new again.

The auctions for some of the other stuff he linked to are still running.

I see no reason not to do Both!

Chances are, a Very large percentage of people on this forum already have the real deal so everything else is just for fun! I found myself almost Amazed at how much I am liking my Mini! And I have Most of the games And I have a Retron 5 so Even I can't explain why I'm liking this little thing so much...

I don't recommend ebay prices unless money really is no object...But if I'm being honest I probably would have paid double...(Just don't tell Nintendo...) ...

• Like 2

Where the heck did "polygon" even come from?

They seem to be the center of all gaming-related internet drama, and everybody talks about them as if they didn't just magically appear randomly a few years ago.

I think that they emerged from gamergate. I dunno, a lot of the writers for that site deserve to be treated as bad as some of the subjects of gamergate simply due to their shitty writing. :D :D :D

I see no reason not to do Both!

Chances are, a Very large percentage of people on this forum already have the real deal so everything else is just for fun! I found myself almost Amazed at how much I am liking my Mini! And I have Most of the games And I have a Retron 5 so Even I can't explain why I'm liking this little thing so much...

I don't recommend ebay prices unless money really is no object...But if I'm being honest I probably would have paid double...(Just don't tell Nintendo...) ...

I'll probably get a mini if they're still available at retail price when everyone who "needs" one has one.

• Like 1

Funny this is exactly how I feel lol. The Classic Mini is a bit meh. Looks cute smaller but that's about it. I hate how it can't play carts. I've got all those games already,plus they're the more common NES games. Where's RC Pro Am on it???

Instead I;m gonna get the RetroUSB AVS game console. It can play both NES and Famicom as well,and also can connect to the Famicom Disk System!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retrousb-avs-review-the-all-purpose-modern-nes

• Like 1

Since the prices in that article were so vastly off, I decided to use https://www.pricecharting.com to find out what it would really cost to buy an original NES system and all 30 games included on the NES Mini. PriceCharting tracks what systems and games actually sell for on eBay then averages the prices out, so I find them to be a very reliable source for determining the value of games with good condition labels. That said, here's how the prices work out (rounded to the nearest dollar for each game):

NES Console - $67

Balloon Fight - $20

Bubble Bobble - $18

Castlevania - $21

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - $10

Donkey Kong - $29

Donkey Kong Jr. - $18

Double Dragon II: The Revenge - $10

Dr. Mario - $5

Excitebike - $8

Final Fantasy - $15

Galaga - $10

Ghosts 'n Goblins - $13

Gradius - $10

Ice Climber - $15

Kid Icarus - $17

Kirby's Adventure - $18

Mario Bros. - $21

Mega Man 2 - $22

Metroid - $18

Ninja Gaiden - $12

Pac-Man - $11

Punch-Out!! - $15

StarTropics - $8

Super C - $17

Super Mario Bros. - $10

Super Mario Bros. 2 - $17

Super Mario Bros. 3 - $13

Tecmo Bowl - $10

The Legend of Zelda - $19

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - $15

Total: $512

That's not including shipping costs mind you, so unless you're able to get good deals with free shipping on the system and all the games then you can probably tack on another $100 or so for shipping (figuring $2.80 per game for USPS First Class Mail shipping and around $15 for Priority Mail shipping on the console). All told you're looking at about $600 to buy an original NES system and all the games included on the NES Mini, which makes the Mini a very attractive option for the average consumer at 1/10th the price of the original and none of the hassle of trying to buy the system and all the games individually then finding a working CRT TV to play them on.

It may not be the ideal solution for the avid retro gamer (for them I'd recommend an original NES and an EverDrive N8) but it's still a neat little product for reintroducing the masses to a timeless piece of gaming hardware. Plus it's really cute. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

I am actually looking forward to getting one - but I am only willing to pay MSRP.

I may be in the minority for this forum, but I don't own an NES currently.

I like the idea of a small device that I can connect to an HDMI display and just start playing with a minimum of fuss.

Sure I can run an emulator on my laptop, but that's just not the same as sitting back on the sofa with my feet up on the coffee table.

• Like 1

Since the prices in that article were so vastly off, I decided to use https://www.pricecharting.com to find out what it would really cost to buy an original NES system and all 30 games included on the NES Mini. PriceCharting tracks what systems and games actually sell for on eBay then averages the prices out, so I find them to be a very reliable source for determining the value of games with good condition labels. That said, here's how the prices work out (rounded to the nearest dollar for each game):

NES Console - $67

Balloon Fight - $20

Bubble Bobble - $18

Castlevania - $21

Donkey Kong - $29

Donkey Kong Jr. - $18

Dr. Mario - $5

Excitebike - $8

Final Fantasy - $15

Galaga - $10

Ghosts 'n Goblins - $13

Gradius - $10

Ice Climber - $15

Kid Icarus - $17

Kirby's Adventure - $18

Mario Bros. - $21

Mega Man 2 - $22

Metroid - $18

Ninja Gaiden - $12

Pac-Man - $11

Punch-Out!! - $15

StarTropics - $8

Super C - $17

Super Mario Bros. - $10

Tecmo Bowl - $10

That's not including shipping costs mind you, so unless you're able to get good deals with free shipping on the system and all the games then you can probably tack on another $100 or so for shipping (figuring $2.80 per game for USPS First Class Mail shipping and around $15 for Priority Mail shipping on the console). All told you're looking at about $600 to buy an original NES system and all the games included on the NES Mini, which makes the Mini a very attractive option for the average consumer at 1/10th the price of the original and none of the hassle of trying to buy the system and all the games individually then finding a working CRT TV to play them on.

It may not be the ideal solution for the avid retro gamer (for them I'd recommend an original NES and an EverDrive N8) but it's still a neat little product for reintroducing the masses to a timeless piece of gaming hardware. Plus it's really cute. :)

I got some good deals a few years ago then. I didn't pay 21 dollars for castlevania. I paid 30 dollars for 1+2+3. So 10 a piece. And I paid 30 for mario 1+2+3 also. So 10 a piece also.

• Like 1

An original system is good. Except the blinking light problem. And once they stop making new replacement connectors. And the top loader has lines in the video. Not clean like the original or wii or this mini.

And the mini is sharper oicture. Only issue is sound problems couple others said here in the other thread. But I want one. I have the original and some of the games but I also want a mini. I want it because the original lacked one thing. Restore points. I really want to try that. Can finally beat games now with enough practice. Except I liked the original because of the game genie. But that is not easy always either or no codes sometimes. I really want to try save states. Its the best feature of emulators and now this has it. So cool.

Edited by 0078265317
  • Like 1

NES Console - $67

Balloon Fight - $20

Bubble Bobble - $18

Castlevania - $21

Donkey Kong - $29

Donkey Kong Jr. - $18

Dr. Mario - $5

Excitebike - $8

Final Fantasy - $15

Galaga - $10

Ghosts 'n Goblins - $13

Gradius - $10

Ice Climber - $15

Kid Icarus - $17

Kirby's Adventure - $18

Mario Bros. - $21

Mega Man 2 - $22

Metroid - $18

Ninja Gaiden - $12

Pac-Man - $11

Punch-Out!! - $15

StarTropics - $8

Super C - $17

Super Mario Bros. - $10

Tecmo Bowl - $10

Jin,

Man you are the "Scrubbing Bubbles" of AtariAge...You work hard so we don't have to!

Thanks so much for doing this!

Grab yourself a raise out of "petty cash"...

• Like 3

I am actually looking forward to getting one - but I am only willing to pay MSRP.

I may be in the minority for this forum, but I don't own an NES currently.

I like the idea of a small device that I can connect to an HDMI display and just start playing with a minimum of fuss.

Sure I can run an emulator on my laptop, but that's just not the same as sitting back on the sofa with my feet up on the coffee table.

And this is official and 100% legit. No more messing with finding sites to get roms and worrying about getting into trouble.

Jin,

Man you are the "Scrubbing Bubbles" of AtariAge...You work hard so we don't have to!

Thanks so much for doing this!

Grab yourself a raise out of "petty cash"...

lol Thanks buddy! I was just curious to find out what it would actually cost to buy a NES and all the games individually, and since I had the tools and plenty of free time to do it I thought I'd give it a whirl. I always enjoy a good research project anyway. :)

• Like 3

No more messing with finding sites to get roms and worrying about getting into trouble.

Get in trouble? Who, when, and where has this actually happened? :lolblue:

You don't have to "mess" with finding anything. Everdrive users can find all the roms conveniently organized into packs per system.

Jin's price of $600 is more realistic, and even then you're not done. If you want the system to look decent on an HDTV comparable to the mini you're looking at a Hi-Def NES kit, or RGB mod + framemeister. So I'd say $750 - $1000 is the final total.

An original system is good. Except the blinking light problem. .

https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

I have been to this store, both before and after the owner was convicted of many copyright violations. He was selling modded Xboxen with ripped games included. It was over ten years ago, and it was flagrant, but it happened.

https://www.cnet.com/news/another-maryland-game-pirate-sunk/

Nintendo has more grounds to go after ROM sites than many of these old companies, since they actively sell these games, both digitally and in their plug and play.

There's literally no way I would buy all the cartridges and 30-year-old cruft in my house when the Mini is available. If you already have it, I can get behind that -- but if someone is seriously inspired to "catch them all" and spend a grand on vintage games because of this, I'd love to see an interview with said person.

• Like 1

An original system is good. Except the blinking light problem. And once they stop making new replacement connectors. And the top loader has lines in the video. Not clean like the original or wii or this mini.

And the mini is sharper oicture. Only issue is sound problems couple others said here in the other thread. But I want one. I have the original and some of the games but I also want a mini. I want it because the original lacked one thing. Restore points. I really want to try that. Can finally beat games now with enough practice. Except I liked the original because of the game genie. But that is not easy always either or no codes sometimes. I really want to try save states. Its the best feature of emulators and now this has it. So cool.

I've had one of those "Blinking Light Win" replacement connectors for a few months now and it works like a champ.

As for save states, that's the main reason I want a mini. A lot of those Nes games like SMB I just seem to naturally suck at and get frustrated at having to start over and over again. Now I can save my progress and concentrate on one level at a time until I hopefully beat the game.

• Like 1

Where the heck did "polygon" even come from?

They seem to be the center of all gaming-related internet drama, and everybody talks about them as if they didn't just magically appear randomly a few years ago.

All the worst people from the various blogs like Kotaku, joystiq, and elsewhere teamed up to form the Voltron of video game journo cancer.

• Like 2

What about flash cart like Everdrive and PowerPak? You could play about 1,000 games (about 100 worthwhile games and rest crap) for about $120 plus the cost of a NES deck. It's still far less than what eBay seller wants for a classic model that does only 30 games and isn't even real games but emulated. From the very picky reviews, some of the sound are awful, worse than a cheap NOAC clone.

• Like 2