IGNORED

Does anyone near Pittsburgh have a spare 850 for sale?

Kyle22

I don't live near Pittsburg, but I have an extra 850 that I was going to put on ebay for $40.00 (add $10 if you want a power supply) and I'm guessing from $5 to $10 more for shipping

(depending on if you want the power supply). I'm sure that the four RS232C ports work as per Atari specks, but I won't guaranty that the parallel port works as I don't have a printer to

test with. My loopback tester only flashes the LEDs, so I can't be certain that the data is transmitting out of the printer port correctly.

Let me know if you're interested. You might also give Best Electronics a call to see if they have one.

DavidMil

• 2 weeks later...

If I have an 850 connected to SIO and powered up, I should hear a long BEEEEEEEEEP when I power up the 800, right?

Typing RS232 in SDX farts and gives a 138.

I have tried two different computers, replaced the PIA in one of them (suspecting a /Command line issue), but nothing has made either of these two 850's load their R: Handler.

Ideas?

Edit: Yes, the 1050 responds to SIO commands, so it's not a hardware issue with SIO as I once suspected.

Edit: Edit: (sorry) I have also tried several different SIO cables.

Edited by Kyle22

If I have an 850 connected to SIO and powered up, I should hear a long BEEEEEEEEEP when I power up the 800, right?

You should get this if just the 850 is connected and powered up when you turn on your 800.

To test the 850, just connect the 850 to your 800 and turn the 850's power on, then turn on the 800 with Atari Basic (leave all other SIO devices unconnected).

You should then hear the long Beeeep (bootstrap loading), then in Atari Basic:

type in open #1,4,0,"R1:", if the 850 is good, then you should just get the "READY" prompt without any errors...

Does the parallel port work?

I haven't tested it yet. My main priority is serial.

@AtariGeezer: Thanks for confirming that.

I'll put the 800 back together tomorrow. I had two of them apart swapping PIA & POKEY (with no luck).

Then I guess I'll start chip swapping in the 850's. Ugh. :(

Update:

Over the weekend, I did a complete overhaul of my 800, including transferring the Incognito to a new motherboard. There is nothing wrong with the computer. It boots a 1050, so it should boot an 850.

I have been reading the 850 service manual. I am going to try a few things, but it will be difficult without an oscilloscope.

I don't live near Pittsburg, but I have an extra 850 that I was going to put on ebay for $40.00 (add $10 if you want a power supply) and I'm guessing from $5 to $10 more for shipping

(depending on if you want the power supply).

Since it appears that Kyle22 doesn't need your 850, is it still available? I got my first 800 recently, and I'd like to add an 850 to the system.

I just ordered a keyboard from Best earlier this week, to replace the dead keyboard in my new 800. I tried to repair the membrane, with poor results. If you would like, I can post my results here once I receive my replacement keyboard.

I received my order from Best today. The new keyboard is a Stackpole. It looks like it has individual keyswitches soldered to a base PCB, so I hope that means it will be more easily repairable in the long term. I may not get around to installing it until this weekend.