IGNORED

Walmart promises new stock of mini classic...

Now that we're on Daylight Savings Time, Arizona is on the same time as Pacific too. About 2/3 of Indiana switched to Eastern time a couple years ago. They get to decide by county which way to go.

And if you drive through the Navajo Nation in Arizona, you'll have to set your watch several different times to stay accurate. http://cronkitenewsonline.com/2012/03/what-time-is-it-in-arizona-it-depends-on-where-youre-standing/

I'll bet they can't get an NES Mini either.

• Like 1

You would think they have the capability to make plenty of these things. Wonder if the shortage is just to build up "gotta have it" panic.

It is. The big N can stamp these out like McDonald's french fries. There's nothing but a plastic shell, a wire or two, and a tiny R-Pi sized SoC board.

• Like 2

How much of the nes-mini buzz is spilling from the niche of retrogaming into the general public?

I'm guessing nearly all of it is the general public. Retrogaming people know that this is hardly the first, nor is it even the best of these types of systems, and it's not even the first that could play NES games.

It's only got the buzz and interest it has because it's being put out by Nintendo, which is still one of the big three game hardware makers. It's a little different to show somebody something like the Genesis Classic, which comes with 80 games *and* a real cartridge slot. Sega doesn't make game consoles anymore so you don't have that crossover appeal of adults buying stuff for their kids who are still playing Sega systems, like you do with Nintendo.

Even I'm getting caught up in it a little bit, just because I can't have one. Objectively I know I'd be happier with some other retro system, though.

Edit: Just to illustrate how little knowledge there is among the general public about retro gaming overall, when this thing was first announced, I actually saw an article in one of the big financial magazines (Forbes or Fortune or one of those) that literally asked the question "Will the NES Mini be the first of many retro systems?" The author literally did not seem to have any idea that there were other systems that play older games on the market, at all. So this may be the first time a lot of people are even hearing about something like this.

Edited by spacecadet

Or maybe I'll buy it when someone successfully hacks into it. After all, it's just a Linux computer.

So much for those parts and how much for the big N stamp? Much more for the latter.

Not going to begrudge anyone for getting one, but after seeing that, a pass for me. The big N has gotten plenty of my money since I was 18 (well, so did Sega, Sony, Microsoft, and Apple....).

Last I checked the Walmart site they raised the price to like $240.That's like more expensive than a Neo Geo AES ,and it only has 30 boring NES games you can play elsewhere for free LOL

The Classic mini craze reminds me of the Cabbage Patch craze for some reason.

• Like 5

Last I checked the Walmart site they raised the price to like $240.That's like more expensive than a Neo Geo AES ,and it only has 30 boring NES games you can play elsewhere for free LOL

The Classic mini craze reminds me of the Cabbage Patch craze for some reason.

Its not 240. They are still 60 bucks. They are just letting others list on the same page like amazon market place. It changes all the time. Once it was 500.

• Like 1

1988: Super Mario Bros. 2 was in high demand but very low stocks came in stores...

2016: The NES Mini is in high demand but very low stocks came in stores...

Coinsidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEOTextgHdE&t=388s

The truth is out there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8

• Like 1

Same thing happened with the Wii. People were scalping the thing when it came out due to short store stock. I had to wait for about 6 months to be able to actually find one in a store. I remember that shortage being even worse than the Playstation 2 shortage when that came out. Retailers were still having trouble getting them nearly a YEAR later!

Its not 240. They are still 60 bucks. They are just letting others list on the same page like amazon market place. It changes all the time. Once it was 500.

Ok where's the link for the 60 dollars one??? All I'm seeing is the one for 240 come up on the search....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Classic-Edition-Nintendo/54043501

No way would I pay that much! I've seen actual arcade cabs go for cheaper.

• Like 1