IGNORED

Cruis'n Blast Hands-On @ IAAPA 2016 (Raw Thrills/Nintendo)

Parallax Scroll

I'm loving what I'm seeing with Cruis'n Blast. It's like a hybrid of the classic Cruis'n and Rush games. It looks super over-the-top (a ferris wheel tearing through a town, a tornado ravaging a landscape.. awesome stuff!). Between this and Daytona 3, it looks like arcade racing is back and true to form!

That's good. I see similar player pointing arrows as on the Daytona 3 video. Started to fear a Raw Thrills Daytona!

Sega and Raw Thrills are very much rivals at this point. I ran into Eugene Jarvis at IAAPA and asked him about Daytona 3 - he said it was "more of the same thing" and "shit". Now Raw Thrills and Namco on the other hand, they are very cozy with each other, in fact some of the Cruis'n footage I shot in that video above was from the quad set of games on the Bandai Namco booth. (technically, Bandai Namco Europe is the official Raw Thrills distributor in Europe which is why they had their games on the booth but RT has developed Galaga Assault, World's Largest Pac-Man and Super Alpine Racer for Namco).

With Daytona 3 only being 50% finished though, it's hard to make that final judgement call on it yet. Should be interesting to see how that final build will stack up though.

For anyone interested, I'm hoping to have Cruis'n Blast in my arcade the first week of December. If so, I'll be recording an "unboxing" video of it like I've done with some other games icon_smile.gif

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 1

Sega and Raw Thrills are very much rivals at this point. I ran into Eugene Jarvis at IAAPA and asked him about Daytona 3 - he said it was "more of the same thing" and "shit".

Ouch! I hope he is wrong , as I haven't played it yet and it isn't finished. Of course it is no Cruisin' USA... :ponder:

Ouch! I hope he is wrong , as I haven't played it yet and it isn't finished. Of course it is no Cruisin' USA... icon_ponder.gif

I personally liked Daytona 3 but as you mentioned - it isn't finished so it's best to hold out on final verdicts for now.

Daytona and Cruis'n both fill their niches for arcades although nothing has been able to compete with Jarvis' Fast & Furious games from an earnings standpoint (which are all Cruis'n World in essence...if not more Cruis'n Japan when it came to Tokyo Drift). That's why I thought his comment was a little amusing...Cruis'n Blast really isn't that different from FnF Super Cars apart from some changes on the micro-transactions/car tuning, putting a little more smashing through things on the tracks and a gauge for accumulating drifts or air time for boosts (and the graphics boost). Otherwise it feels the same. icon_razz.gif

If anyone wants something truly different in arcade racing, I'm not seeing it out there right now.

At least on the shooter side, The Walking Dead does not feel like a House of the Dead game or clone; it also doesn't play like Aliens Armageddon, Jurassic Park or Terminator Salvation. Which is a good thing IMHO.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian