IGNORED

Heatwave BBS Online

InsaneMultitasker

• 3 weeks later...

I have temporarily taken Heatwave BBS offline.

The system has crashed twice in the past few days. This morning it crashed multiple times on mundane things like a simple extended basic CALL CHAR statement and while opening a file.

I suspect that one or more of the video ram chips or the V9938 needs to be replaced, since I have also noticed some spurious characters and sprites. Regardless, there is a hardware problem that I need to resolve. I'll look at it tonight, after work.

• Like 1

Tim, I recently tried to telnet into Heatwave, but from a PC (Linux), and the display is not really readable. Is it because there is some character redefinition for showing graphics (which the standard telnet won't do)?

The login screen is displayed using ANSI sequences and extended ASCII graphics i.e., ibm character set. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437)

If the telnet client doesn't support this natively, you will see the ansi control sequences as a bunch of letters, numbers, and brackets. When the BBS is back online, perhaps you can share a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Ah OK, it's another codepage. This could prove to be a little challenge, since Linux terminals generally use Unicode; Google told me that there are indeed some people struggling to get cp437 back again (for similar purposes).

Here is what one search led me to find: "this actually lead me to a solution using setfont with some downloaded cp437.psf and executing unicode_stop. thanks – Tim Theede Dec 5 '16 at 3:05"

Try connecting to Shift838's fusion bbs. He uses plain text at login. I have considered going a similar route to "help" those without ANSI capability and may revisit this again.

Tim, I recently tried to telnet into Heatwave, but from a PC (Linux), and the display is not really readable. Is it because there is some character redefinition for showing graphics (which the standard telnet won't do)?

Syncterm is the best for ascii http://syncterm.bbsdev.net

Either that or I use qmodem in Dosbox

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I had a few moments to inspect the failing Geneve. One leg on a video chip stack caught my attention. I used a screwdriver to gently apply outward pressure to the leg, and discovered the solder joint had broken free, and was quite woefully soldered in the first place. There is no tension holding the two together. I don't know if resoldering this chip will cure the video (and lockup) woes, but it sure can't hurt!

This Geneve has its original 16 memory sockets, which bothers me a bit knowing how ugly they can get over time. I think for now I'll leave them alone and order some parts on standby. I don't relish removing all those sockets from this somewhat brittle board.

Edit: added picture.
post-25764-0-50762100-1493513462_thumb.jpg

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what Heatwave used to look like two years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-r04hJ_Hck&feature=youtu.be

.. I'd love to see a photo of what it looks like now.

Not much difference. My Geneve system pictures are posted somewhere out on the internet. and Ksarul's son knows about its innards as he helped me put things back together at the last chicago Faire I attended. :)

• Like 1

I know that for the past few weeks or longer, my upload ability has been hampered by what looks like heavy traffic. I suspect there was (or is) a problem somewhere in the backbone and/or in the local area. I did see one of the ISP boxes open the other day and I know they have been running new utility cables for subdivisions in the areas around us. It has also been raining and that tends to throw some extra 'bad' into the mix.

I've given up on trying to fix anything beyond my own house connection because the ISP always wants me to reboot the router and do nonsensical things to troubleshoot the issue. Good luck getting to a higher level tech that can check things out. One unorthodox way I have detected trouble is Quake 2 and similar games that shows packet loss and lag. While not all that accurate, they are relatively good problem indicators. I'll try firing up a client or twi this weekend - the last time I looked there were definite signs of a problem.