IGNORED

Heatwave BBS Online

InsaneMultitasker

I had to take Heatwave BBS offline - there is something wrong with the power supply and/or one or more cards.  I noticed an 'electrical' smell yesterday and found the system unresponsive.  I will not be able to investigate the true issue right away due to other obligations, so I'll post an update when/if I am able to bring it back online. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I had to take Heatwave BBS offline - there is something wrong with the power supply and/or one or more cards.  I noticed an 'electrical' smell yesterday and found the system unresponsive.  I will not be able to investigate the true issue right away due to other obligations, so I'll post an update when/if I am able to bring it back online. 

The joys of being a SYSOP. I found the Hidden Reef, a BBS that never crashes, unresponsive today due to flaky IDE operation. So now the up/down load section is not available until I get the parts together and install SCSI to run the up/down loads available again. 

SYSOPs have all the fun. :)

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Swim said:

The joys of being a SYSOP. I found the Hidden Reef, a BBS that never crashes, unresponsive today due to flaky IDE operation. So now the up/down load section is not available until I get the parts together and install SCSI to run the up/down loads available again. 

SYSOPs have all the fun. :)

Yea, I think it has been 4 years since the last major hardware issue on this system.  The Geneve has been running 24x7 with the Dc-to-DC converters, I've been quite pleased.  I think the recent high temps contributed to the failure as the room was fairly warm due to south-west exposure and our recent... ahem... heat wave.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Sorry to hear about the hardware problems.  Tried to get on yesterday morning and evening, and figured something must be up.

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sorry to hear about the hardware problems.  Tried to get on yesterday morning and evening, and figured something must be up.

My guess is that one of the ATX power supply's capacitors blew out.  It was only by chance that I was upstairs as I had logged into the system within the past 24 hours and it was operating normally. :(

• Like 3

On 4/13/2022 at 8:22 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

My guess is that one of the ATX power supply's capacitors blew out.  It was only by chance that I was upstairs as I had logged into the system within the past 24 hours and it was operating normally. :(

Hopefully that's the case, and no cards were damaged.

14 hours ago, SkyPilot said:

Tried some different TI sites today, noticed yours is still offline.  I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  I tried a place called atari.io as well, it's also down.  I found a site called ti99iuc.it, impressive.

While we wait for Heatwave to come back up

I have a TI BBS running on a real TI with a TIPI (see my signature) also on my main BBS I have dialout to hidden reef BBS which is modem only.

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I pulled the cards out of the box.  The Geneve seems to be unaffected and booted up in my development PEB.  I haven't pulled apart the power supply nor have I checked the SCSI/RS232/Ramdisk.  I'll do some more work on the system this weekend and decide how to proceed at that time.

good news! 

• 3 weeks later...